Scheduled LAVH Glad I found this site! 10/11 Attempted LAVH/ possible abdominal incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Glad I found this site! 10/11 Attempted LAVH/ possible abdominal incision Glad I found this site! 10/11 Attempted LAVH/ possible abdominal incision

Unread 09-23-2021, 08:30 PM
Glad I found this site! 10/11 Attempted LAVH/ possible abdominal incision

Hello everyone! My hysterectomy is scheduled for 10/11. I have 5 big fibroids that feel like I am pregnant. They are so big and attached to uterus, that they need to do a hysterectomy. Keep ovaries and cervix. I can’t wait to get them out. My dr is going to attempt the robotic Supracervical, but he said he might not be able to do it until he sees what it looks like in there. I am hopeful for the less invasive, but am just ready to get them out! My 77 and 79 yr old parents will be my caregivers for the week. I haven’t ever had major surgery so this is all new for me. Any advice is welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2021, 03:51 AM
Glad I found this site! 10/11 Attempted LAVH/ possible abdominal incision

and
Can you please clarify your surgery type? You say your surgeon is planning for a supracervical hysterectomy, but your thread title says LAVH, which mandates removal of the cervix. If you want to keep your cervix, then you'll need to clarify with your surgeon on exactly what he's planning to do. Regardless of how the surgery is done, you're still having an organ removed from your body, with multiple sets of blood vessels and connective tissues cut and sewn or cauterized, and full recovery can take up to several months; you won't be completely bedridden, but you will have restrictions on what you can do, so you will need your parents help for many things. Preparation is key, so here are a few suggested things to have on hand: a recovery nest filled with pillows and blankets; a freezer and pantry filled with easy to prepare meals and snacks; a good pair of walking shoes; loose fitting clothes; a few small pillows to protect your belly when coughing or sneezing, or during pet visits; a few easy projects to pass the time, like your favourite craft or hobby, some adult colouring books, books you've always wanted to read, or a Netflix binge; fiber-rich frozen blueberries and whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, ground flaxseeds, and magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds to relieve post-op constipation; Gas-X, peppermint tea, and fennel or coriander seeds for gas relief; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly; extension cords for plugging in your electronics without a lot of bending or reaching; disposable dishes and cutlery to minimize clean-up work; a grabber for picking up small objects off the floor. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 09-24-2021, 07:58 PM
Re: Glad I found this site! 10/11 Attempted LAVH/ possible abdominal incision

Hi danifrot to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR SURGERY. No matter the surgery type, you will have to do much internal healing. While recovery is different for everyone, you still have to plan on weeks and not days. You will need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will be able to do minor items around the house, but much will be left undone - like house cleaning. You will not be bedridden, but you will need to rest much. You will take brief but frequent walks, as these help you heal. Also remember that you will have lifting restrictions: 10 lbs for six weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common. Driving restrictions can be 2 weeks or longer.

Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. What I found most helpful were the following:
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Plan entertainment for your brain
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (or pet visits)
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

Remember that recovery is not a contest, nor is it a race. It is more marathon than sprint. You need to follow all of your doctor's orders to the letter - no additions, no subtractions. Listen to your body carefully, and do not push yourself too hard because if you do you could damage yourself. You only get one chance to heal right. Here is an article: Too Much Too Soon After Hysterectomy?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register