Surgery: Wed. Jan. 28th. Advise? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery: Wed. Jan. 28th. Advise? Surgery: Wed. Jan. 28th. Advise?

Unread 01-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Surgery: Wed. Jan. 28th. Advise?

I am so thankful for this site! Now the time has come, I have to pack my bag. Any advice from all you wonderful ladies as to what to bring to the hospital, besides myself? Something to read? Will I really feel up to reading?
What about returning home? Do I need to get anything today at the store? I'll have on hand, soups, juices, jello. Suggestions are needed here as I am mainly alone & will have to fend for myself.
Wish me luck! I'll let you know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 06:43 AM

Hi Kathy.

First of all, best wishes & prayers as you go to the Castle.

Everyone is different, of course, and it depends on how you feel after surgery and how long your stay at the Castle is. My surgery was on a Tuesday morning, and I didn't get back to my room until evening because there wasn't a room available on the post-op floor. But that day, and the next day, I didn't feel much like reading. I slept a lot, and as soon as I was cleared for walking (Wed morning) I walked as much as I could. Had company on & off Tues night & Wed morning.

By Thursday I was feeling pretty good, and gobbled up a couple of days' worth of NY Times. More company, lots of walking.
And Friday morning I went home. You may not feel like eating very heavily so it's probably good to have a variety of stuff at home, depending on how you feel.

Whatever you do--take your time, pace yourself, don't rush back to "normal", and follow your DR's directions.

We look forward to hearing about your Castle adventure!

Blessings.
Marlene
Unread 01-27-2004, 07:04 AM

Hi Kathy, first of all, best wishes!

I took too much to the castle when I had my surgery and I didn't really even take a lot.
I didn't read at all, watched a tiny bit of television ( actually slept through a bit of tv )

What I used was my slippers, my robe to wear home, my chap stick, ear plugs ( I was by a noisy exit ), my tummy pillow, and my favorite bed pillow from home. Hospital pillows are usually sooo skimpy.

The foods that worked best for me were the soups, jellos, sherbets, puddings, fruit cups, cottage cheese, yogurt - anything soft and easy. If anyone asks how they can help - ask for home cooked meals! As you said you'll be pretty much alone - don't be afraid to ask friends or neighbors for help if you need it. I found people very willing to lend a hand once they knew that I needed it.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2004, 07:07 AM

Bring a book anyway. You probably won't feel like reading for long stretches, but it will be a good way to break up the day.

When I returned home 2 days later I tended to crave lighter foods. Juice and soup are great; I also ate yogurt, cereal and plenty of fresh fruit and salads. Drink plenty of water and walk. I had no problem with constipation or gas.

I brought some makeup and my contact lenses to the hospital but never used them. (I did have my glasses though)

Best wishes!
Unread 01-27-2004, 07:14 AM

I really don't have any advice for you since I haven't had any surgery yet. I'm in Murfreesboro also and I just wanted to say Hello and that I would be thinking good thoughts and prayers for you on Wednesday and hope that everything goes well.

How about taking with you a cheap walkman and maybe a book on cassette? I know Linebaugh Library has many you can check out. I bought my son a cheap cassette player at the Dollar Store for $5.

Best wishes!
Karen
Unread 01-27-2004, 08:46 AM

In 2 weeks post-op today. My .02 on the "castle" visit topic.

One thing I took was my step-son's game-boy. I had bought him Tetris and Centipede some time back since I like those games so I "borrowed" those back. Worked out well as leaning back with game in front of me worked well.

I also stocked up on trashy magazines with lots of picutres -- like People and US. Didn't have to concentrate too much. Worked well. I still haven't started the more "serious" books I stocked up.

On the food topic -- I was back on my regular food right away. I eat a very healthy diet (with lots of fiber) so everything worked out well.

I had my surgery on Tuesday 1/13. Clear foods on Wednesday morning, solid food after that, catheter out Wednesday afternoon. IV out Wednesday night. Home Thursday after noon.

OH -- I actually made a little bag of "essentials" that sat on my hospital tray table. Like my address book, chap stick, hand lotion, nail file, reading glasses, game boy. I used one of those smaller/boutique-like shopping bags with handles. That worked out well since I could easily get stuff and easily move stuff away.

Good luck and remember --
This too shall pass....
Unread 01-27-2004, 08:53 AM
hystersister twins

My surgery is tomorrow too! I'm visiting hystersisters right now to see what I should take to the hospital... what I have in mind is...a Harry Potter book (light reading) my own lotions and creams because I have sensitive skin, pictures of my kids (I'm concerned I won't recognize them once I no longer have a uterus, lol) my telephone book, and I don't know what all else, which is why I'm here perusing the site.
Good luck! Believe me, I KNOW how you feel!
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:17 AM

My surgery is tomorrow, too. Based on what I read over and over I have bought a lot of fruit and those bagged salads for my return home. I am headed out today to splurge on our local whole grain bakery's very pricey granola, too. As far as stuff to take to the hospital, I am taking my little pda with the games I downloaded, my mp3 player and a book for entertainment, vaseline for lips, and my pillows and nightgown and slippers.

Nice to think that some of us will be floating around together somewhere while our bodies are elsewhere at the same time.

Best wishes.
Unread 01-27-2004, 09:39 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

Dear Sisters,
Thanks so much for all the wonderful advise given. It really means alot to me, knowing that there are others to share my story with. I tried to lay down any go to sleep, but I'm so keyed up! I'm sure that tonight will not be very restful for me. Now it's up to the doctor & the Lord. I know that I'm in good hands!
I will let you all know how everything goes, upon returning home, when I'm feeling up to being in front of this screen again.
Once again, thank you all so much. All my love.
Unread 01-27-2004, 10:08 PM

Hello Kathy!!
I want to wish you the best of luck today as you go into surgery.
I hope things will go well for you and I hope things will be uneventful. Let us know how you are when you get home from the castle.
Take care.
Dottie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register