care of toddlers after op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

care of toddlers after op care of toddlers after op

Unread 06-21-2004, 12:56 AM
care of toddlers after op

Hi all. I'm due to have my op on 6 July, pre-op check tommorow. I'm really scared. Not sure if I'm having a TAH or TVH. My big concern is the care of my kids after the op. I have an 18mth old and 3 1/2 yr old. How long usually until I'll beable to lift them both? My hubby can get a week off work and after that we'll be struggling to sort out help. I'm really upset because I've been really crook with another neurological illness (orginally thought it was a stroke because of blood clotting pills I was on for my heavy bleeding) over the last 3 mths as well as my woman's problems and WINZ has been subsiding nanny care for me for 40 hrs pweek and that stops end of this week... arggggghhh. Due to a recent change in government law we no longer qualify for any help. We have minimum family support around and are considering getting a loan to keep paying someone to help. How long will I need help? Your suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
I feel like a blubbering mess today. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 05:44 AM
good luck

I had a laproscopic hyst. and I had a 4,5 and 1 year old at home. After 2 weeks I was able to care for them on my own. I am sure if you have a abdominal hys. it might take longer. I had a lot of complications following my surgery (over bleeding during surgery and a post op infection) and was still able to take care of the children. I probably should of rested longer but I didnt really have any help after 2 weeks plus I am pretty bull headed and wanted to get back to my life. So I pushed myself a little extra... Listen to your body if you need more time to rest get help if possible...
I think age and physical condition has a lot to do with your recovery. Your body will tell you if you are doing too much mine sure did!! good luck, KRis
Unread 06-21-2004, 06:05 AM

Hi there. I have children ages, 9, 6, 4, 3, and 19 months. My Dh was only able to take baout two weeks off - used up all his vacation time. :-/

But I have been able to care for them myself since. My oldest two were still in school when Dh had to go back to work, so I didn't have them to help during the day.

I had people that were able to help, but really didn't need it. I was careful on carrying my children - I didn't do it. If needed, I'd help boost the baby onto the bed- it's really high, or into our van. But other than that, she didn't get lifted. She ate on the couch, becaue I wasn't about to lift her into the high chair. We made do with what we could and it has been going well. I'll be 6 wks post op tomorrow.

I also ran into a glitch in my healing, I ended up back inthe hospital after I had come home for 5 days due to an infection from the surgery. So that limitied my recovery, but I am doing a lot better.

You really shouldn't lift them. I can see helping hte baby onto something a bit higher, but there's no need to lift the 3 yr old. I have a lifetime limit of 20 pounds to lift. My baby is over that, she's around 25. And I haven't even gotten teh "okay" for the 20 pounds yet, still on only 5 pounds!

But I'm being careful and doing just what absolutely needs done. Everything else either she finds a way to climb up or it doesn't happen until Dh or my oldest lifts her.

I had a TVH and bladder repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-21-2004, 06:50 AM

I had a TAH and am not supposed to lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for 6 weeks - and believe me - I don't want to. It's hard. I have a 16 month old (as well as a 11 and 6 year old) My DH has been taking care of the baby. Maybe you could get a chair that would sit on the floor with a tray for meals, so you wouldn't have to lift the baby into a chair. Our baby will also sleep on the floor on a sleeping bag rather than having to lift him into a crib for naps. Maybe you could get a teenager to come in to help once in a while?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register