Scheduled LAVH Pre op w. surgeon | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre op w. surgeon Pre op w. surgeon

Unread 01-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Pre op w. surgeon

hubby & i met w. surgeon today-she was terrific. took time to thoroughly explain every step in great detail and answered our questions w. same care. i got soap to shower with day before & morning of surgery. no creams or lotions on skin and no products in hair. i am gonna be fugly. i have naturally curly hair and products help tame the beast. oh well. dr. recommends hubby leave hospital once i go into O.R. since he will not be able to see me for at least 4-5 hrs. after i go into OR. i agreed. it does not make sense for him to hang around if he cant be w. me. i told him i prefer he leave & take care of the dog, get some work done & then come back to hospital once im in my room. she believes i should be in room by early afternoon. dr. also says not to bring anything to hospital except PJs or robe, only if i want to. i plan on packing a little bag with PJs, robe, makeup, hair stuff, chapstick & reading glasses so i can see what the heck im doing.
got dulcolax & need to take 2 tabs on the 15th, 2 tabs on the 16th and an enema for the evening of the 16th. the 16th light diet all day (not even a salad or fruit, drs orders). i guess it will be soup all day for me. yum! the morning of surgery, i need to take beta blocker & Rx magnesium & pottasium. i am the 1st surgery. surgeon has same procedure right after mine.
will have an estrogen patch immediately following surgery. we will work on dose & make adjustments as needed thereafter. she would like to see me on HRT till im 50 in 3 yrs. im ok w. that. a funny thing: my heart tends to misbehave (skips beats here & there) when it doesnt get its estrogen. tested & proved when i stopped the pill 2 separate times. the cardiologist says they are not bad skips but, Lord do they scare the crap out of me. im ok w. HRT for several yrs. need my heart to cooperate.

the house is especially clean. redirected my fear/anxiety into physical energy the past 2 weeks & scrubbed every single bookshelf, cleaned closets & cabinets, rearranged things, threw away alot of things & super cleaned the bedroom. Next weekend i will do light cleaning & head to castle on tuesday at the crack of dawn. jan. 17 LAVH/BSO. still scared to death.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2012, 02:28 AM
Re: Pre op w. surgeon

My surgery is on the 17th, too, but not until 1:00. I'm liable to be a grouchy little wench since I'll have been on clear liquids the day before and nothing after midnight, but I'll survive, haha!

My gynecologist is also my surgeon, so I've already seen her. She said I would probably need HRT for at least a couple of years, maybe longer depending on how symptomatic I am. There is a history of heart disease in my family that the HRT could aggravate, but I'm still in my early 40s and some kind of HRT is probably going to be needed. We'll play it by ear and keep an eye on the heart.

Best wishes for an uneventful surgery & a happy, healthier post-op you!

Grins,
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:08 AM

I begged and pleaded to be first surgery of the day for the same reason: starvation. I will be a monster the day of surgery if they dont take me in right away. Besides, the anticipation and anxiety is going to kill me so its in everyone's best interest to get me into lala land asap. I wish you the best of luck..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2012, 05:24 AM

I took the first available surgery so I'd have as much recovery time as possible before we reopen the campground for the season. I would have loved to be first, but waiting for that time slot was going to cost me 4 weeks of recovery time. Hmmm.... 4 weeks or 4 hours of being hungry? :-)
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRider View Post
I took the first available surgery so I'd have as much recovery time as possible before we reopen the campground for the season. I would have loved to be first, but waiting for that time slot was going to cost me 4 weeks of recovery time. Hmmm.... 4 weeks or 4 hours of being hungry? :-)
you made the right choice, i would have done the same. under no circumstances did i want to delay the surgery any longer. i took the first available spot right after the new year. the 17th it is!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register