Help: Second guessing surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help: Second guessing surgery Help: Second guessing surgery

Unread 03-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Help: Second guessing surgery

Hi Ladies,

I feel like I'm starting to second guess my upcoming DaVinci supercervical hyst surgery (one week away!). I'm 32 years old...married with two healthy kids, and I'm panicked that I'm taking too drastic of a measure here.

After 16 years of heavy periods (slightly heavier but shorter after kids), and worrying about passing clots or even bleeding out a SuperPlus tampon and pad while I sleep...an ultrasound showed that my uterus is 2x the size it should be. Dr thinks that this is possible adenomyosis but did not get a specific diagnosis.

My surgery is elective but I made the choice after a second opinion said my uterus could keep growing over time until I hit menopause. I didn't go for ablation since my young age increased my potential of needing a repeat procedure...AND it wouldnt change the size of my uterus. My large uterus might also be causing me to have daily urinary leakage and I can sometimes feel it (my uterus) jostle around when I work out.

Based on all this would you sisters recommend I go through with my surgery next week? Please...any helpful words are appreciated!!! I'm so scared!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-22-2012, 03:13 AM
Re: Help: Second guessing surgery

Hi Daydreamer!

I know this is really tough for you. It's not an easy decision! And it doesn't matter if it's recommended for a benign condition having negative effects on other areas of health and life, or a life threatening condition for which no other treatment will bring effective healing. It's the removal of an internal organ, after all! And our uteri can be very important to us for what they represent, too: a biological part of our femininity, the source of our fertility (even if we don't have our fertility because of the condition the uterus is in), how we create the families we dream of for our futures... Tour around this site, read our stories, and you'll see that it's a universally tough decision.

When you went for your second opinion, or even the first opinion for that matter, were there any other possible options, besides the ablation? Did you have a chance to research any other procedures for your particular diagnosis? If not, check into that, there are resources here for alternatives to get you started if you need. I read the heck out of them before I settled into my decision. I seriously considered embolization until I determined that it wouldn't adequately rectify my situation.

No one here can tell you whether or not you should go through with a hysterectomy. The last word on that is you alone. But if you worry if you're being too hasty or drastic, you have every right to research a little further, go for a 3rd opinion, whatever you need to do to get you enough information to make the correct choice for you. I can tell you that, for me, a thirty-something with only dreams of my only children, that what finally confirmed what was necessary for me was the fact that in all the time my husband and I have been together, even before we were planning to have a family, we were never hard core on our b.c... and yet, never had any "surprises". Not once. So it was clear to me that even if there was a way to treat my condition and save my uterus, it wouldn't do anything to provide me with fertility. But that was my personal uterine epiphany. You do what you need to to make sure you're positive that this is what's right for you.

Best of luck, and big hugs at you!!!
Unread 03-22-2012, 03:52 AM

I'm sorry that you are having to face this decision. I was scared beyond belief and canceled my surgery several times over the past 2 years. It was not until I had a rare complication and I was left with no choice but to have surgery that I was ok with it. I tried everything from ablation to hormones to meds and nothing worked for me. My best advice is that you have to feel OK with your decision. Well meaning friends and family will offer their opinions but you have to feel right inside you. Believe me that being OK with my surgery didn't take away my fear. I had many sleepless nights before surgery. That is very normal. This is a major surgery and it should not be taken lightly. I had my TAH done 7+ weeks ago. I'm still healing, but getting stronger each day. I am looking forward to being heathlier and stronger than I was. A nurse friend of mine told me that I was so used to being so run down with heavy bleeding and low blood counts that I forgot what it was like to feel normal. Boy, was she ever right. I feel so much more alert and I am not always cold like I was. Not having to wear pads every day is wonderful. I also bought all new sheets.

The bottom line is that it is your body and you have to be O.k with your treatment. Maybe writing out your options with the plus and minus list will help. I know that for me and many others it was a very difficult and emotional decision. You are not alone! Be kind to yourself and do what you feel is best for you. God Bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-25-2012, 02:31 PM

My situation and symptoms are similar to yours. I'm having a hyster for suspected adenomyosis and I'm 35. I was originally scheduled in December and freaked out and canceled. My husband's advice to me was to "quit dorking around and just get it done." LOL, so I rescheduled.

My uterus is 12 cm right now. I sure don't like the idea of letting it grow until it puts even more pressure on my bladder that it already does or until it gets so large that they can no longer remove it vaginally. I've read a lot about adenomyosis and most women who have a hysterectomy for it seem to say they wish they had done it sooner as adenomyosis tends to just progress and get worse over time. At 35 years old, I just don't feel like this is something I can live with until menopause. I really wanted a tubal with ablation, but when we discovered an enlarged uterus that was really taken off the table as ablations can make adenomyosis symptoms worse.

I know for me the deciding factor has been that I just want to be done with all of this drama. The buying 2 boxes of pads and 2 boxes of tampons each month. The cramping so bad that I'm laid up on the couch with a heating pad for days. The daily strange heavy ache I have in my pelvis. Yesterday my 5 year old daughter asked me to play with her and I was laid up with a bad period and had to tell her no because mommy doesn't feel good and she said that mommy doesn't feel good a lot. That is why I've decided to stop putting this off.

You still have time to research and see what is right for you and your family. Start reading up on adenomyosis. After I learned more about how yucky and progressive this condition is, I felt far better about letting go of my uterus.
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Daydreamer,

I played it safe and did all the alternative methods. Had the tubal and ablation...which produced hellish results. Triggered bladder and kidney issues. Adenomyosis was discovered after a hematometra formed in my uterus due to blood trapped from stenosis caused by the ablation. All I did was buy more pain and procedures. I am going in on Friday and am solid in this decision. The congested, bloated, heavy feeling will finally be gone. Hope to no longer worry whether I am constipated or have a UTI because of the pain and pressure. Good luck to you...most likely if your situation is grave now...it won't rectify itself. I asked my second opinion Doc straight out..."Will this get better in time? Or am I prolonging the inevitable?" She told me it would more than likely get worse and the stress of not knowing what to expect month-to-month is not healthy or good for me and my family. My best to you...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register