Jstallings45's daVinci Robotic Hysterectomy Story*** | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > da Vinci Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Jstallings45's daVinci Robotic Hysterectomy Story*** Jstallings45's daVinci Robotic Hysterectomy Story***

Unread 08-22-2019, 12:07 AM
Jstallings45's daVinci Robotic Hysterectomy Story***

Jstallings45's daVinci Robotic Hysterectomy Story

daVinci Robotic Hysterectomy
Age at Surgery 45

Just over 15 years ago I was diagnosed with endometriosis after many years of painful periods. My doctor tried several different medications - including a wide variety of birth control pills, a vaginal ring, and Depo Provera. The BCP didn't seem to have much effect - only slightly less pain. The vaginal ring was a little bit better because it allowed me to have a period every 5 weeks instead of 4. Depo Provera was a disaster. Not only did I have a period that wouldn't quite go away, I gained 25 lbs in 2 months. This would take years for me to loose it.

I moved to Northern California and did not do much about it for several years. I planned my life around that "time of the month" and lived on tramadol and ibuprofen. Finally after a pap smear that came back ASGUS, I found a doctor that said I didn't need to suffer through the pain. I took a shot of Depo Lupron. It helped with the pain, but caused a lot of side effects - weight gain, elevated blood sugar, breast enlargement, and my favorite one - hair loss. Once I was through this treatment my doctor said he thought that a hysterectomy would help me with the pain. I was done feeling like a guinea pig and had been ready fo this for years. I did not get a second opinion because I felt that I had discussed other treatments throughly with my doctor and felt very comfortable with the decision. I spent many evenings researching the surgery. I had almost 3 months until my hysterectomy.

I arrived at the hospital at 5:30am. I had the first surgery of the day, scheduled for 7:30am. Although I was nervous, I was calm and not tearful. As I was given general anesthesia, my surgeon held my hand and calmly spoke with me. The surgery was done faster than expected; 1 1/2 hr instead of 2 hr.

I was in quite a bit of pain in the recovery room and experienced nausea; but the nurse was good and helped me get on top of the pain and nausea quickly. I was home and resting in my own bed by 11:15am.

As I recovered from surgery, I would have days when I felt really good and would overdo it. I had this problem constantly while recovering. My body would let me know I had done too much with fatigue, spotting and pain. I had returned to work at 3 weeks. At 4 weeks I was so worried that I saw my doctor. He made sure I was healing well and gave me the ok for activities. I still had very light spotting until week 7.

In the beginning I struggled with menopausal symptoms. I had hot flashes every night and had to shower as soon as I woke up - every day! My doctor prescribed a low dose of estrogen and a low dose of Paxil. It has helped so much.

I feel tired sometimes, but overall I feel better than before surgery. I have been back at the gym - water exercise feels great.

I have lost a total of 18 pounds and have dropped 2 sizes. I am happy with my decision for a hysterectomy.

Make sure you are ready for the surgery mentality. Ask your surgeon questions - he or she should be able to answer all of your questions and not be offended. Remember its a major surgery and even though you feel good, you need to rest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register