Doubts, 3rd myomectomy /ablation or hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doubts, 3rd myomectomy /ablation or hysterectomy Doubts, 3rd myomectomy /ablation or hysterectomy

Unread 07-18-2020, 05:40 AM
Doubts, 3rd myomectomy /ablation or hysterectomy

I knew it would happen one day. The doctor would recommend a hysterectomy. My mom had one for uterine fibroids at 36. I’m 33 and the doctor recommended it to me yesterday.

My doctor and I have been through many years of trying to manage this. She was the first gym to ever do something about my heavy periods, she was also the first to show real compasión about what it’s like living with heavy bleeding. She did my first myomectomy to remove a uterine fibroid and shortly after that she did my second myomectomy to remove more fibroid that was missed in my uterine wall. (The fibroid was much bigger than she could see.) after a few months I was able to conceive my second child. I had an iud put in And my periods were so light for 2.5 years. It was unreal how easy they were. About 6 months ago the heavy bleeding and clots ramped back up. They saw the fibroid had grown. I did lysteda and a month of birth control. That seemed to put things back to normal. Then I started bleeding again, this time heavier than ever. I’m on lysteda again and she’s recommended that I either have a myomectomy one more time and try to conceive if I’d like to have another child or go for a hysterectomy.

My husband and I don’t have a strong desire to have another child so that’s not a big factor. The decision is so hard.

What if removing my iud puts things back to normal for awhile? What if one more myomectomy is all it takes? My instinct is that those are delaying the inevitable hystectomy. I just need to talk to someone about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2020, 07:43 AM
Re: Doubts, 3rd myomectomy/ablation or hysterectomy

Has UFE been discussed? It works wonders to shrink fibroids. You may want to inquire with an Interventional Radiologist. The field of interventional radiology has grown by leaps and bounds to resolve uterine fibroids once and for all. It’s far less invasive than surgery and works great! My 9 cm intramural fibroid has shrunk by 90%; Excessive bleeding stopped immediately. You may want to research the option. There is an Interventional radiology search tool on Google. You want someone who is experienced and this tool helps narrow the field.
Unread 07-18-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterduke View Post
Has UFE been discussed? It works wonders to shrink fibroids. You may want to inquire with an Interventional Radiologist. The field of interventional radiology has grown by leaps and bounds to resolve uterine fibroids once and for all. It’s far less invasive than surgery and works great! My 9 cm intramural fibroid has shrunk by 90%; Excessive bleeding stopped immediately. You may want to research the option. There is an Interventional radiology search tool on Google. You want someone who is experienced and this tool helps narrow the field.
My fibroids are very aggressive. My gyn noted that she’s never seen someone’s come back like mine. I’ll have to look into it. She’s the first doctor who has ever taken my heavy bleeding seriously. Did yours stay gone? My grew back after two myomectomies. I am pessimistic but curious about UFE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2020, 08:46 AM

I think all fibroids are aggressive. They disrupt the entire body with their production of the enzyme Aromatase. This production of their own enzyme actually fuels their growth as do foods and products that increases estrogen. I was embolized in 2011 and to date have had no recurrence. Hormone disruptions can cause regrowth so I do my best to avoid foods such as soy that can feed them. I also avoid eating and drinking out of plastic containers. These are filled with chemicals that produce xenoestrogen, super estrogens. I suggest speaking to an Interventional Radiologist who specializes in fibroids. Only they can determine if you are a candidate. For me it was like a switch. I was a hormonal mess, with a hard mass in my stomach. After I was embolized my stomach was soft. I slowly began to feel better and my fibroid began getting smaller. No more bleeding and I was able to restore my health. For me it was a process but one on an upward trend. Interventional radiology is an advanced branch of medicine. Eighty plus percent have positive outcomes. I highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratybella View Post
My fibroids are very aggressive. My gyn noted that she’s never seen someone’s come back like mine. I’ll have to look into it. She’s the first doctor who has ever taken my heavy bleeding seriously. Did yours stay gone? My grew back after two myomectomies. I am pessimistic but curious about UFE.
Unread 07-21-2020, 04:24 PM

Honestly, having my hysterectomy was the best thing ever. My fibroids meant I bled for two weeks at a time and spent the other two weeks of the month having anxiety attacks about when I would start bleeding again. I couldn't make plans more than a few weeks out since I never really knew when my period would start or stop or start again.
It is so nice to have a "normal" life again. Last summer we went to Norway for three weeks. Something I never would have been able to do with my fibroid laden uterus.
If you are sure about kids, etc. I say go for it.
(Also, my sex life is much better, since I am not having to schedule around two weeks of period and worrying about breakthrough bleeding when I did have sex before.)
Best of luck whatever you decide.
Unread 07-21-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG75 View Post
Honestly, having my hysterectomy was the best thing ever. My fibroids meant I bled for two weeks at a time and spent the other two weeks of the month having anxiety attacks about when I would start bleeding again. I couldn't make plans more than a few weeks out since I never really knew when my period would start or stop or start again.
It is so nice to have a "normal" life again. Last summer we went to Norway for three weeks. Something I never would have been able to do with my fibroid laden uterus.
If you are sure about kids, etc. I say go for it.
(Also, my sex life is much better, since I am not having to schedule around two weeks of period and worrying about breakthrough bleeding when I did have sex before.)
Best of luck whatever you decide.

That is exactly how I feel! I have been dealing with fibroids for many years and am going for a hysterectomy tomorrow. I am very much looking forward to the peace of mind it will surely bring.
Unread 07-21-2020, 07:57 PM

Your story sounds so much like mine! Honestly I never regret having a hysterectomy. I had many years of terrible bleeding that was ruining my happiness really.
I had Many procedures and even salpingectomy to try to “see what my body would do naturally off hormones” (I had been on them from age 14 to to mid 30s). I also had an iud and 3 years of basically no period (that was amazing) and then the bleeding came back with a vengeance. I had a failed ablation (uterine perforation during that procedure)... after a year without hormones/birth control I was bleeding so heavily that I felt my uterus trying to kill me... my hemoglobin was so low I had hardly any energy . Bleeding was So heavy couldn’t get a tampon PLUS pad AND thinx underwear to last me for more than an hour!

Being in my 30s and relatively healthy other than the endo I was able to have a Laparoscopic vaginal Hysterectomy and even got to have a same day surgery. Overall the recovery was slow and I really had to learn to pace myself... the thing that I will say is that if you choose hysterectomy know that you are in some ways trading your current symptoms for others. You may not have the bleeding and even might have less pain, but sometimes it’s a trade off. Your body changes and you will always feel a physical void because the uterus Has other key functions in back and pelvic support. It is important to weigh risks and benefits. It’s so good that you are on this site. It’s very helpful
Unread 07-21-2020, 09:59 PM
Re: Doubts, 3rd myomectomy /ablation or hysterectomy

Had a hysterectomy at 34. 39 years old now, and had I known then what I know now, I never would have had it done. My recommendation would be to try everything else before taking that step, including natural remedies (Vitex, for instance, can help with hormone issues, and is prescribed for that purpose in Europe).

Good luck, and I hope your issues are able to be sorted without a hysterectomy.
Unread 07-21-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaguska View Post
Had a hysterectomy at 34. 39 years old now, and had I known then what I know now, I never would have had it done. My recommendation would be to try everything else before taking that step, including natural remedies (Vitex, for instance, can help with hormone issues, and is prescribed for that purpose in Europe).

Good luck, and I hope your issues are able to be sorted without a hysterectomy.

What do you know now? Perhaps that would be something worth sharing with someone deciding. Can you elaborate?
Unread 07-23-2020, 07:39 PM
Re: Doubts, 3rd myomectomy /ablation or hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteyFree View Post
What do you know now?
I tried to make this short, but felt an explanation was needed. In short, I have reason to be skeptical of the entire medical system.

Here's why:

My own complaint leading to a hyst/BSO was a bad case of PMDD. After years and years with this issue, having tried other treatments,I was miserable and looking for relief. Two OB/GYNs and one nurse practitioner insisted the hyst was the way to go. I had misgivings, but things were getting really bad and I believed the doctors (why shouldn't I?), so I went along with it. Now I have a different set of problems, including five years of post-op pain and a requirement to have an annual vaginal exam, (even though there's hardly anything left to examine) in order to get my prescription. Post-op care was not what was promised beforehand, that's for sure.

Since my surgery, I learned that a common, inexpensive herb called Vitex might have made surgery unnecessary. Also known as Chaste Tree, Vitex has a long history of safe use and is prescribed for infertility in Europe. It is inexpensive when purchased as a supplement, and to save even more money, one can simply cultivate a Chaste Tree - it's a beautiful ornamental with purple flowers - and make their own supplement or tincture with a bit of know-how.

Now, I never had children. Such was the stress involved with PMDD that I didn't think I could be a good parent. I'd heard that having children can improve PMDD symptoms, but in some cases it can make it far worse. Vitex may have helped, as it works by correcting hormone problems rather than introducing more hormones. Or maybe some other remedy would have been effective. If it had, maybe I would have gone on to be a successful mother instead of a woman with few womanly parts left. But, I'll never know.

Maybe your situation is different, and your complaints can truly only be solved with a hysterectomy. Just realize there may be other options that your doctor hasn't mentioned for whatever reason. Maybe there is an underlying issue that can be addressed through herbs, supplements, or maybe a change of diet.

I'd encourage anyone with doubts to fully explore all options. At the end of the day, you're the one who has to live with the results of your surgery, so please a) don't be hasty, and b) realize your doctor is influenced by a desire to make money, be it through procedures, surgeries, or medications.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register