Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 03-Aug 09,2020 - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 03-Aug 09,2020 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 03-Aug 09,2020

Unread 08-10-2020, 04:34 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 03-Aug 09,2020

Hi, everyone!

First, I hope each of you are feeling better with each passing day. I think the biggest thing I've learned since joining this amazing group is that every woman really does have a different experience.

My hysterectomy was August 3rd. Today is day 7 post-op. Although my doctors were very clear about what to expect, I still just thought I'd be feeling better than I am.

Gas issues only lasted a few days for me (thank goodness because that part is so painful). Swelly belly has come down some, but I know I've got a long way to go. Appetite is coming back, but once I start eating (no matter how hungry I think I am) I can only muster half a portion which is also causing me to have to eat more meals throughout the day.

Biggest issues for me right now are:
- unable to get comfortable to sleep
- pain in my upper back (went to hospital today for a CT scan to rule out PE)
- sensitive stomach due to use of ibuprofen and tylenol for pain (oxy makes me nauseous)
- fuzzy feeling...sometimes looking around my head just feels blurry/fuzzy. Guessing this is from surgery, laying down a lot, some lack of sleep, etc.

Thankful to have a place to talk with other great women going through the same thing. Hang in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalsh01960 View Post
Hi, everyone!

First, I hope each of you are feeling better with each passing day. I think the biggest thing I've learned since joining this amazing group is that every woman really does have a different experience.

My hysterectomy was August 3rd. Today is day 7 post-op. Although my doctors were very clear about what to expect, I still just thought I'd be feeling better than I am.

Gas issues only lasted a few days for me (thank goodness because that part is so painful). Swelly belly has come down some, but I know I've got a long way to go. Appetite is coming back, but once I start eating (no matter how hungry I think I am) I can only muster half a portion which is also causing me to have to eat more meals throughout the day.

Biggest issues for me right now are:
- unable to get comfortable to sleep
- pain in my upper back (went to hospital today for a CT scan to rule out PE)
- sensitive stomach due to use of ibuprofen and tylenol for pain (oxy makes me nauseous)
- fuzzy feeling...sometimes looking around my head just feels blurry/fuzzy. Guessing this is from surgery, laying down a lot, some lack of sleep, etc.

Thankful to have a place to talk with other great women going through the same thing. Hang in there!
I had surgery same date as you and I also expected to be farther along in my recovery by this point. I don't really have pain anymore, but I just feel terrible overall. I too am having problems finding comfortable sleeping positions. I so badly want to comfortably lay on my side!
Unread 08-10-2020, 06:27 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 03-Aug 09,2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD2020 View Post
I had surgery same date as you and I also expected to be farther along in my recovery by this point. I don't really have pain anymore, but I just feel terrible overall. I too am having problems finding comfortable sleeping positions. I so badly want to comfortably lay on my side!
Me too!! I'm a side sleeper and I so badly want to just roll onto my side while I'm sleeping! Wondering when we might be able to do that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Me too!! I'm a side sleeper and I so badly want to just roll onto my side while I'm sleeping! Wondering when we might be able to do that...
As much as I hate we are all in pain it's nice to not go through these things alone.

I'm thankful we bought a remote control bed last year where the frame can lift my legs or my back. So at least there's that degree of changing positions even though I'm 100% on my back. But I find it really hard to stand up straight when it's time to walk around.

My surgery was August 5th and today has been the worst pain so far below incisions, the laparoscopic and the abdominal cuts. I've been trying to lay off ibuprofen because it's causing other problems, and Tylenol doesn't work for me at all so I've only had hydromorphone. But it's not enough. I don't know what else to do about the pain. Of course I'm using a heat pad quite a bit and sometimes an ice pack in my hystersister pillow.

I'll get the cystogram on Friday which hopefully will clear me to get rid of this catheter.
Unread 08-10-2020, 06:49 PM

I just woke up from a two and a half hour nap so deep I wasn't sure where I was when I woke up. I feel much better when I lie down, giving my internal organs plenty of room. But lying flat on my back is annoying and boring. The only thing I have figured out to do is play solitaire on my phone while listening to an audio book. I've got a couple of good books, but I'd rather be fooling around on my computer in an upright position. I've been walking about my building's hallways (quite a big building) on a regular basis, knowing that walking helps. My swelly belly has gone down a teensy bit. I still feel like a balloon.

I am trying hard to feel grateful and blessed, rather than guilty, when I read the struggles of my fellow sisters. I am sending tons of healing energy your way, sisters, hoping that the pain, the fatigue, the worry will subside as quickly as your body can heal. Much <3 to you all.
Unread 08-10-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I am another August 3 surgery date side sleeper. I tried to lay on my left side last night and it was horrible. Went slightly onto my right side during a nap today and it was tolerable for a little bit. This back sleeping is killing me!! I’m using ten perfectly positioned pillows to create a nest for myself currently but I miss rolling over. I’m hoping to be able to back to normal sleeping positions soon but I don’t know if that’s a reasonable hope. I have five laparoscopic/robotic mini-incisions all higher than my belly button and then a larger bikini cut incision down low — not sure if different incisions make or break sleep positions!
Unread 08-10-2020, 07:48 PM

all and twalsh01960,

So glad you decided to join us and I do agree about all these great ladies who help to make this journey easier. Please let us know when you get results of the CT scan. Hope things are ok. Many feel the same way you do about this being a slow recovery. Please remember you just had MAJOR SURGERY and it may take you body a while to recover. The eating more small meals is very smart, so keep managing like that, your body does need lots of good nutrients to heal.

About the sleeping position: Hope you ladies have tried to use lots of pillows tucked in around you. Many find that this helps you sleep partially on your side and still support the belly area. I am a tummy sleeper and on day 4 I actually very carefully from an all four position lowered myself down on my stomach and sleep so well. It took quite a bit of time getting into and out of the position but the good sleep was worth it. Some other sisters have reported sleeping in a recliner for the first few weeks. Keep trying different things and as you heal you will be able to find a more comfortable position.

The not being able to stand straight up is so common. You will get there. It took me a couple of weeks. You will just slowly be able to get straighter as things improve in your lower ab.

Keep lots of water, healthy food, frequently & slowly increasing your time.

Hugs to all,
Anndy
Unread 08-10-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfulnoise777 View Post
As much as I hate we are all in pain it's nice to not go through these things alone.

I'm thankful we bought a remote control bed last year where the frame can lift my legs or my back. So at least there's that degree of changing positions even though I'm 100% on my back. But I find it really hard to stand up straight when it's time to walk around.

My surgery was August 5th and today has been the worst pain so far below incisions, the laparoscopic and the abdominal cuts. I've been trying to lay off ibuprofen because it's causing other problems, and Tylenol doesn't work for me at all so I've only had hydromorphone. But it's not enough. I don't know what else to do about the pain. Of course I'm using a heat pad quite a bit and sometimes an ice pack in my hystersister pillow.

I'll get the cystogram on Friday which hopefully will clear me to get rid of this catheter.
@joyfulnoise777 - sorry you had a hard day. I can't imagine having to navigate this with limited medication options. My doctor gave me a few oxy for breakthrough pain, but that type of narcotic makes me nauseous so I've stayed away. Can you call your doctor for anything else?? Hang in there!!
Unread 08-10-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpclark View Post
I am another August 3 surgery date side sleeper. I tried to lay on my left side last night and it was horrible. Went slightly onto my right side during a nap today and it was tolerable for a little bit. This back sleeping is killing me!! I’m using ten perfectly positioned pillows to create a nest for myself currently but I miss rolling over. I’m hoping to be able to back to normal sleeping positions soon but I don’t know if that’s a reasonable hope. I have five laparoscopic/robotic mini-incisions all higher than my belly button and then a larger bikini cut incision down low — not sure if different incisions make or break sleep positions!
I tried to sleep on my side a few nights ago, propped on pillows. I think I passed out from exhaustion for roughly an hour. Immediately regretted it when I woke up as my muscles were hurting and felt stretched. I have four robotic incisions across the stomach with one in my belly button. Back sleeping is the worst!
Unread 08-10-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Hello,
I had surgery (laparoscopic; today, radical hysterectomy) the same day as you. My Dr. Said I could sleep in any position that was comfortable for me. I am also a side sleeper. So, My husband bought me a Snoogle pillow. It's wonderful! So supportive and I can use it for sleeping on my side of putting my feet up or even as a back rest. It has made sleeping so comfortable again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register