Only two days in the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Only two days in the hospital? Only two days in the hospital?

Unread 10-09-2000, 08:59 PM
Only two days in the hospital?

Found out today, Insurance company only gives two days in the hospital. Is this normal? When I had my c-section with my first son, I was in there for 4 days and discharged on the 5th. This is basically the same surgery. Is two days enough time to recoop before going home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2000, 10:03 PM

Hi there,

My insurance company pre-approved 2 days also. When the nurse at my doctor's office told me that I freaked! She told me that this was standard for insurance companies. I also used the c-section = 96 hour stay. She said that actually a TAH/BSO is a more invasive surgery than a c-section and that insurance companies used to only approve a 2 day stay for them as well until the government got involved and demanded that vaginal births were 2 days and c-sections were 4. The nurse told me that almost every insurance company only says two days, but at the end of two days the doc calls the insurance company and gets approval for another 2 days on "medical necessity". Then I asked the doc about it and he just winked at me. He told me that all of his TAH/BSO patients stay in at least 4 days unless they choose to leave the hospital earlier, and that in my case, because I am also having major bladder reconstruction, it might be longer. So, don't worry about it. Your doc will most likely extend your stay when the time comes. But at your pre-op, you could always ask him or her about it. They will most likely tell you the same thing.

Allison
Unread 10-10-2000, 04:31 AM

Same here. I was pre-approved for 2 days for a TAH/BSO. Doc said don't worry about it, she'd call & have it extended. It sounds like thats just what insurance does and the doctors know the routine.Ask your Dr just to be sure & so you don't have to think about it anymore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-10-2000, 06:11 AM
I only spent 2 days

I had a SAH on Oct 5 and spent only two days in the hospital. Dr came in on 2nd day and asked if I wanted to stay another day and said NO!.. I could not wait to get home to my own bed and comfy couch.
Should the need for an extra day arise, your DR can arrange for the insurance co to give you an extra days. Emergency problems are never planned for, so they should grant an extra day should the need arise.

So dont panic.

Take care all you princess's

sheddy-re
Unread 10-10-2000, 07:42 AM
Only Two Days in the Hospital?

My reaction when I got the preapproval from the insurance company was "WHAT!!!!" Glad those of you ahead of me know what really happens. I have my preop with my gyn. on Wednesday (tomorrow) and that was one of my questions for him.
Unread 10-10-2000, 07:49 AM

This must be the standard of insurance companies. When my husband had a spinal fusion in July, the surgeon said the MINIMUM stay is 7 days. The pre-approval from insurance approved 3, with wording to say "please call for extended care review". I told the doctor once I knew he was precerted, I'd be involved in his care and didn't want to be bothered with begging for each additional day he needed and he said "not to worry, this is standard, this is our job, it's just a formality". He stayed 6 days and there was never a problem.
Unread 10-10-2000, 10:12 AM
I had 3 days for TVH

My vaginal hys/bladder repair was 3 weeks ago (9/20) and I had 3 nights in the hospital--two days sure sounds sound for an abdominal!!! Best wishes to you.
Unread 10-10-2000, 01:05 PM

I had a vaginal hysterectomy on Sept. 19th - 3 weeks ago today and I went to the Hospital at 9am on Tuesday and came home 8pm Wednesday. Just one night and I was so happy to come home -nothing like home. I had no fever, was able to walk the hallways, and I was able to pee as soon as they took out the catheter, so I went home. I had abdominal surgery 3 years ago to remove a dermoid cyst, an ovary and tube and I was only in for 2 nights. There is nothing like your own bed!!! Good Luck and see how you feel - Maryann
Unread 10-10-2000, 01:40 PM

thanks for the insight ladies. I almost fell out of my chair when they told me two days. My son had an appendectomy and he was in 5 days. I could not believe that they want you out in two for a hysterectomy. Shouldnt surprise any of us though. Seems anything to do with a female problem is taken so litely. Prozac syndrom again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register