Cancelled my surgery, while in prep today... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cancelled my surgery, while in prep today... Cancelled my surgery, while in prep today...

Unread 04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Cancelled my surgery, while in prep today...

First, during the pre-op consult my GYN told me LSH was same-day procedure but if I wasn't feeling up to it, I could stay over night but go home if I wanted.

At Pre-admission last week the nurse told me no way, I had to stay and I was being admitted. Okay, whatever.

Then the Pre-admission nurse asked me for the cardio clearance the GYN ordered. I didn't get one, she didn't tell me I needed one! His next appointment is in 6 weeks.

I called my GYN and the nurse said she'd talk to the doctor. The next day the Pre-ad nurse calls and tells me everything is all set, the GYN retracted the cardio clearance.

Whatever.

Today I go to the hospital for my LSH, got ready, they started my IV, etc., etc.

My GYN shows up and says "there seems to be some confusion about your procedure because of your heart thing we are doing the abdominal."

And she's telling me now?!

So I'm looking at a longer recovery, I have major plans in 3 weeks that include my attendance, and apparently my doctor has some serious communication issues. Do I go through with this? My husband is giving me the "don't do it" sign and my gut says "no".

I'm outta there. So now I have the cardio appointment to get pre-clearance so I know what kind of procedure I can have and am looking for a new GYN.

After 20 years with this GYN I cannot believe how badly this was handled. I hope everyone else had/has better luck today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Re: Cancelled my surgery, while in prep today...

Oh wow. I am SO sorry! How infuriating.
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly were the cardio issues and wouldn't a less invasive surgery be better than a TAH?

I hope you can get things cleared up very, very soon.
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM

No, don't mind asking. I have a-symptomatic Wolfe-Parkinson-White syndrome. There are some serious versions. Mine requires no treatment or correction. It's just important that anyone looking at an EKG know it's there. It does not prevent me from any activity or is it contraindicated with any medication.

What gets me is my GYN knows about it. She did a procedure 2 - years ago and talked to the cardio. And for the love of God why wait until they were about to wheel me into the ER to tell me about a change in procedure?

I'm not the kind to complain or make a fuss but there was no way I was going through with this. My husband said if I didn't say anything he would have stepped in and insisted. What else was she going to do and not tell me about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2010, 11:58 AM

Ps. she said that the LSH pumps fluid into the abdominal cavity and might put pressure on the heart and that's why she was doing the abdominal instead.
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:01 PM

You did the right thing. You have to go with your gut.
Some say things happen for a reason...and maybe this isn't the doctor you want doing surgery on you.

Take care and I hope you are back on track soon.
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:29 PM

I think you were right to cancel, given the issues and doubts. It all should have been discussed beforehand, so you could get another opinion if you wanted one. Sorry it all happened this way but at least you didn't just go along, or even wake up to the changed plan. Good luck sorting it all out and re planning.
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Oh, this sounds so frustrating. We do everything we're told we're supposed to, and things can still get messed up.

I do want to make a comment about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by notreally View Post

So I'm looking at a longer recovery, I have major plans in 3 weeks that include my attendance, and apparently my doctor has some serious communication issues. Do I go through with this? My husband is giving me the "don't do it" sign and my gut says "no".
Even though an LSH is an easier recovery, there is still a lot of internal healing to do and some women who have had the LSH aren't quite ready to resume regular life and major plans. Maybe having to postpone your surgery for a few weeks is an okay thing, after all--even though it's really, really frustrating.

I hope everything goes more smoothly from here on.

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Yes, this time I'm doing things much differently. I get a DO OVER!

It does mean living with some inconvenience and discomfort but my situation isn't life threatening so I can take this opportunity to plan better.
Unread 04-19-2010, 03:29 PM

I can completely relate to being prepped and your surgery cancelled as mine was cancelled last Thursday because my dr came down with the stomach flu. Wish I would have known PRIOR to 25 minutes out from my surgery! Tomorrow is the new day for me though and I have to say I had a wonderful weekend since I felt it was kinda "given" to me.
Everything does happen for a reason though and going with your gut instinct is the best!
Unread 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM

notreally,

Good for you! You are perfectly within your rights to get up and walk out. The way it looks to me, your doc didn't do her homework and you get a TAH instead of the planned LSH--No way. Shame on her. More people need to stand up and make sure things are done properly. What else did she not do? Three more weeks of recovery and time off work??

Excuse my rant but sometimes docs need to know that there are other people involved, I think you did the right thing. You're just scheduling your second opinion a little late!

Hope you find a new doc and get things taken care of quickly and all goes well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register