Upcoming hysterectomy 5/25: Pre-op, didn't go so well | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/25: Pre-op, didn't go so well Upcoming hysterectomy 5/25: Pre-op, didn't go so well

Unread 05-13-2016, 04:51 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/25: Pre-op, didn't go so well

So I had my pre op today and it was kind of discouraging. My regular Gyn is out having her baby and so I was actually transferred to head surgeon in the area (this is a good thing). While we are all made aware on here and by the doctors that a lap can convert to abdominal any time, in my case there is another caveat. I guess since it is a tlh, if they get in there and find a mess of endo and/or adhesions, then he can't do the surgery- that day. Apparently the main center they schedule surgery from is strictly an outpatient center. If everything is so complex he said, that they have to switch to abdominal, then it needs to be done at the main hospital where there are general surgeons on staff as well in case anything goes amiss. Plus of course, there is no where to stay overnight at an outpatient center. The outpatient center doesn't have blood or any of the inpatient necessities that the hospital does. This is so weird to me!!! In any case, now I am freaking out that they are going to get in and find a mess and have to schedule another time AND abdominal. I have been crying off and on. I have been scared enough to have this done and now this is looming over me. That and not to mention adjusting time out for work etc. I pray to God that it is easy enough to get done in the 25th as an outpatient procedure once they get in there. I know my health is the most important and that is what he is looking after, it is just hard as this is not what I expected at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2016, 05:57 PM
Re: Pre-op, didn't go so well

If it were me I would reschedule the surgery so that it can be done in the hospital. That way they are ready for any contingencies. Also I would not have a hysterectomy of any type if they did not have blood available during surgery. Just too many things can go wrong in the OR. It would be a real bummer to have to wake up and find out you have to do all the preparation all over again. I wouldn't want to go through all that anxiety again, and general anesthesia is nothing to sneeze at. My surgery was a possible conversion, but thankfully they didn't have to. But if they did, they were totally ready for it. I trusted the surgeon to make the decision intraoperatively. I would not want 2 surgeries if it could be avoided. I know it stinks having to reschedule but in the long run it is better for you medically.
Unread 05-13-2016, 06:36 PM

Sorry to hear you got the additional caveat during your pre-op appointment. I'm a little surprised that they would not have scheduled it at the main hospital considering that your doc had said that it could convert to abdominal. I would do the same as what Mollybear suggested for all the same reasons. My TLH surgery was postponed for a little over 3 weeks for different reasons and while it was frustrating at first, it did give me the opportunity of being better prepared for recovery, as well as have a girls weekend and get pampered to keep my mind off of things.

Sending positive thoughts your direction that it stays laparoscopic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2016, 07:11 PM

Hi Ablated -

Talk to your doctor about your concerns. I would definitely see if this can be done in the hospital to begin with. That way they are prepared no matter what.

Unread 05-13-2016, 07:51 PM

Because I think this decision is so important, I feel compelled to urge you to heed the advise you have been given by these wonderful women responding to you. If it were me, I would speak to my doctor asap and arrange for surgery to be in the hospital, as they have strongly suggested.

The stress and anxiety of worrying about all the what-ifs can effect your mental health and wear you out. It's hard to stay focused and positive, when dealing with unpredictable things. While no one really likes to postpone surgery, I feel it may be risky for you to plan on outpatient type surgery.

I am the type of person who tries to plan for all contingencies. Please consider your options and do what you and your doctor agree is best for you.
Unread 05-13-2016, 08:36 PM

I definitely agree on this as well, I kind of can't believe they schedule anything like this. I am going to call Monday and talk about rescheduling at the hospital where they have all the back up for proper surgery. Initially I was bummed on possibly changing it, but at this point I don't know why I would take the risk of an additional surgery and not having what is needed all in one place. Thank you for your support. This is definitely not something I want to mess with.
Unread 05-13-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablated View Post
I definitely agree on this as well, I kind of can't believe they schedule anything like this. I am going to call Monday and talk about rescheduling at the hospital where they have all the back up for proper surgery. Initially I was bummed on possibly changing it, but at this point I don't know why I would take the risk of an additional surgery and not having what is needed all in one place. Thank you for your support. This is definitely not something I want to mess with.
(Update: I emailed and asked for reschedule at the hospital.) While this is disappointing, I know it is for the best. I am not comfortable with the risk or going under to just be told I have to again. (Being hormonal and moody, I am kinda aggravated and mad now that they even thought the set up like this was ok???!!! What the he@$!!!) rant over
Unread 05-13-2016, 10:01 PM

You are doing the right thing. I can’t imagine this being done outpatient outside of the main hospital. You are going to be just as sore and need just as much time to heal either way because this is major surgery, and all major surgery comes with risks they should ALWAYS be able to address.
Sweetie, I was TERRIFIED before going in. And every day after I thought “This wasn’t so bad”. I spent one night in hospital, and that flew by. I had a hard time pooping after, made best friends with my recliner and was annoyed at what I couldn’t do. I had pain, problems sleeping and some anxiety after…. But none of it was as bad as I thought it would be. Not even remotely. In my case at least. Im 99 days out, and I am on here because Im having “pinches” from over doing it, but in all honesty the only thing I can’t do now is ride a lawn mower or horse. I don’t mind the mower but kinda miss the horse! 
Take a deep breath, make them do this on YOUR terms and do your prep. I can’t make you not be sacred, but I can tell you you will most likely think “that wasn’t so bad” when its over.
Unread 05-13-2016, 10:15 PM

Thank you Sarasky!! I appreciate the support so much. I have spent so much time worked up and amped out waiting for this surgery and then this happened. In any case, I am so much more at peace accepting that I have made the best decision and will have them schedule it at the proper facility. Hopefully I can work this around my work schedule again this time- lol.
Unread 05-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/25: Pre-op, didn't go so well

Hi Ablated -

You definitely made the correct choice of rescheduling, despite the problems with your work schedule! And you deserve to about them trying to schedule this MAJOR SURGERY not in a hospital. What were they thinking, indeed

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register