Unexpected Hysterectomy...lots of unknown | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unexpected Hysterectomy...lots of unknown Unexpected Hysterectomy...lots of unknown

Unread 08-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Unexpected Hysterectomy...lots of unknown

Hi I am a new member and have just received some unexpected news from my OBGYN. I am just shy of 41 and expecting my 3rd child. I had 2 unmedicated vaginal births that went very smooth untill the boys were born and I immediately began to hemorage when it was realized that my placenta was abnormally attached to my uterus. Went from nice situation to what my husband said was the closest thing to a murder scene he has ever seen. When it happened the first time I was 33, and Dr explained this was more like a condition of older possible drug using Moms(not me in any form...don't even like to take aspirin). Dr felt so sure that it wouldn't happen the second time that she let me run the same route of vaginal unmedicated birth...was even worse the senond time and both required emergency D&C's. Now I have received the information that not only does she propsose a C-Sectioniwhich I was prepared for and had accepted) but wants to do a hysterectomy with removal of my overies(I was in such shock that I did not have the warewithal to ask why one over the other). So now I am in the very uneducated position of having a child in January and not sure what lies ahead for me in having a hysterectomy at the same time as having a C-section. Any help and guideance would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 01:53 AM

Hi Lwalker
It all sounds a bit drastic to me. I can understand that you may require a c-section, but why the hysterectomy, and why your ovaries?
I would suggest you educate yourself as much as possible and this site is a good start, write down any questions you have and take them back to your doctor.
Get a second opinion if you dont get a satisfactory explaination.
Its your body and you should be very much involved in the decision making. Be assertive.
Best Wishes
Unread 08-19-2005, 07:24 AM

Lwalker,

You have alot on your plate right now. Congrats on the upcoming arrival!

My mind can rationalize why your doctor suggests a hyst, but the BSO confuses me. You do need to find out specifically why she thinks your ovaries need to go.

Please take care of yourself. I do know what it like to have a high-risk pregnancy. It is scary. As for the c-section, mine was emergent so I didn't have time to prepare. Like the ladies here can attest to, the incision is tender making it hard to change positions. The worst pain for me was the "after pains" of birth.

God bless you and your growing family,

Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2005, 08:12 AM

I would think that your doctor is either wanting to rid you of the possibility of having another pregnancy (sounds like you are a "fertile myrtle" ) or maybe trying to keep you from having to have another D&C. Or maybe she feels the next step for you will be a hyst, so she'll save you time, money and another incision by doing it all at once. As for the ovary removal, maybe the doc knows something she hasn't shared with you? Perhaps there has been some questionable details about the mystery of your difficult births that everyone failed to discuss with you? Some doctors do that. They either don't discuss it because they don't want to be wrong and cause worry if it's not 100% accurate or they simply forget to note an unusual sighting because it didn't seem that important at the time. Who knows!?

Anyway, I hope you can get all your questions answered quickly so that you can spend the rest of your pregnancy focusing on the new addition!

God Bless you!!!
Unread 08-19-2005, 08:56 AM

You can never go wrong with a second opinion. I agree her plan is drastic. I wish you the best.

GA
Unread 08-19-2005, 09:04 AM

Yikes, you seriously must get multiple opinions-don't stop at one! More than one. I cannot imagine giving birth and having the ovaries taken out. That sounds brutal. I even question having the uterus removed.
Unread 08-19-2005, 09:20 AM

Congradulations on the upcoming new addition to your family!! May God bless you all.
I think you should have at least 2 more opinions about this radical move your DR is proposing. Maybe even more. I would think your body needs the ovaries to help recover from birth (hormones) but alas I am no Dr. I would definetly be finding out why the ovaries need to be taken. Then ask your 2nd & 3rd opinion Dr's if they agree or would do things differently.
As I said I'm no Dr but it just seems really radical to me.
Good luck and God bless
Unread 08-19-2005, 12:56 PM

Hi lwalker

Just last week I read something that sounds like the condition you are describing: “Placenta Accreta” where the placenta’s attachment to the uterine wall is abnormally firm (or even grows into the uterine wall) & prevents it from separating normally after the delivery, resulting in severe bleeding or hemorrhaging.

With the little I read about it, a C-section with a planned or possible hysterectomy would seem reasonable to be on the safe side and prevent or lesson the risk of life-threatening hemorrhage. Like the others mentioned though, I’m not too clear on the reasoning for removing the ovaries.

A couple things I’m wondering…

Sometimes the terms are confusing. Many times women hear “total hysterectomy” and think that means removing everything --- uterus AND ovaries. “Total hysterectomy” however, means removing the total uterus – which includes the cervix. A “sub-total” means the body of the uterus is removed, but the cervix is not.

If there’s no mix on terms, my next guess would be… wondering if it’s faster, in the case of a possible emergency hysterectomy, to remove the uterus and ovaries all at once, rather than separate and clamp etc. to preserve the ovaries. If your safety is at risk and time is of the essence, maybe there isn't a choice. If, however, keeping the ovaries might be an option, (and is desired) then discuss it ahead of time so your ob/gyn will know your wishes before the big day.

You may need to clarify whether you are consenting to automatically have these procedures done after the c-section delivery of you baby, or are they just possibilities you are consenting to ~in the event they are needed for your safety, etc.

Make a list of your questions so everything can be explained to you. Let us know what you find out from the doctors about the why the ovaries, okay? (Maybe you know already.)

I’ll keep you in my prayers that all goes well with your pregnancy and delivery. Congratulations
Best wishes & s,
Beth
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:16 PM
What I was told

I had all 4 of my children by C-Section which caused abnormal scaring and adhesions. I "finally" go in for my TAH on Tuesday. When I had my last baby 7 years ago we (my OB/GYN and I) knew a hysterectomy was in my future but he said he would only do one following a C-Section in emergency situations. When you are pregnant your blood vessels are all enlarged which puts them in a tricky situation. I would for sure get a second opinion and clarify things with your OB.

Congrats on the new addition! A C-Section isn't as bad as some people think. Just let yourself rest with the baby and you'll be fine.
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Hello again -- I got windy with my previous post and totally forgot you were asking about the recovery of hysterectomy right after a c-section. Here's some links to other discussions from women sharing that experience.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...y+hysterectomy

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...y+hysterectomy

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=placenta

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=placenta

You may find others by using the search section in the upper right corner. I used “emergency+hysterectomy” and “placenta” to find these results. These are just a few. Most of these women didn’t know ahead of time that a hysterectomy would follow delivery. So many heartfelt emotions (and lots of hugs) are in these posts – as the women heal physically as well as emotionally.

s again,
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register