Full hysterectomy on July 31st and terrified - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Full hysterectomy on July 31st and  terrified Full hysterectomy on July 31st and terrified

Unread 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Full hysterectomy on July 31st and terrified

Hi Amarylis
What you said makes a lot of sense, except in my case, I have been 6 years menopausal and removal of the ovaries will not be making any difference. Every case is different I am finding, but yes, if I was younger, I would definitely keep the ovaries. I had another surgery last year, emergency gallbladder removal, and was out of work for five weeks and hated it. I am not the type to sit around the house but my DH will probably make me like last year. I get frustrated when I cant do things for myself - but again I have no choice. Glad yours is over and now that I am nearing my operation, getting a bit overwhelmed. You did help me when you said the hysterectomy is the easy part.....I hope so. Get well soon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2007, 08:13 AM

Talk about scared, when I was scheduled for a simple
D&C I developed a fever and was postponed for 2 days later. Happened again, but they did it anyway. I was so nervous I developed a fever. May soon have a hysterectomy and I sure don't want to be postponed for that!
Unread 07-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Hi Senga,

I think the anticipation of surgery is worse than the surgery. You will do fine. I hope you are planning on leaving your cervix.

I will be thinking of you on the 24th. Good Luck and Don't Worry. This too shall pass.

;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2007, 09:30 AM

Need some good advice....I have been skimming through everone's post and they have help. I just have a few questions, need advice, etc. I am having a vaginal hyst on Aug 10th. I have had two c-sections and a tubal. Should I be comparing this to them? Am I going to probably have the swelly belly thing going on? (I did with the tubal for 2-3 weeks ) Stitches down there (never had)? How long do most people stay in the hospital (surgery scheduled for 11:30)? I plan on being off for two full weeks maybe 3, or just going for a few hours the third week. This is all soooo new to me!!!! Not scared at all, being that I have had 3 surgeries before but the last one was 12 years ago. Would like some advice.
Thanks
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:26 AM

Up and Coming,

Those are good questions, I hope we hear from those that have been there can give us some answers. Mine is planned vaginal, praying it stays that way, but I have to have everything and I mean everything removed. I am glad you are not scared like I am that has to be worst.

Blessings.
Sheryl, A.K.A. scaredycat47.
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:48 AM

Hi Up and Coming,

I had a TAH/BSO. My surgery was 7:30 a.m. on a Wednesday and was home on Saturday. I had the swelly belly thing going on -- I don't know if you will have it since you are having a vaginal hyst.

You will be a little tired when you come home. I stayed home from work for 2 months -- but I could have gone back sooner (probably after 6 weeks). I just took a little advantage of it being summertime.
Unread 07-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Did anyone have to have a "bladder test" that involves a catheter at their pre op? And to upandcoming....my surgery is on 7/25, I'm planning on 3 weeks off, but working from home and then coming in to the office as I feel like it for the next few weeks. I had a c-section 25 years ago and I don't remember it being that bad. I seemed to sail thru it, but of course, I was 24, not 47!! LOL!! I can't seem to wrap my brain around the fact that I am gonna be SOOOOOO tired for SOOOOOO long. And I'm like scaredycat...scared to death!! Hang in there...we'll are be better for it. Also, somebody please tell me about that "bladder test"!!
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:42 PM

Hi Scardycat,

I am also scared for the surgery. I few years ago I had an appendectomy done and it was noted in my chart the doctors had difficulty intubating me. I went to see the aneithitist( wrong spelling I am sure LOL ) yesterday, he suggested a spinal, like an epidural but I am not keen on that either. I have until Friday July 20 to make up my mind. I just want to be out..... I don't want to be awake, half awake etc.
This website is great to check out and look up other patients experiences.
Unread 07-12-2007, 12:51 PM

Hi,

I had general anesthesia -- so I was sleeping but for pain management I requested a PCEA (which is a patient controlled epidural analgesic). I was afraid to have the morphine pump because I get sick from Tylenol with codeine and I didn't want to risk throwing up after abdominal surgery (that would have been lots of fun!).

My friend's mother had a TAH and she had an epidural (not spinal) and she did fine. They can probably give you something to make you a little groggy before they administer the epidural. Talk to your doctor about your fears and make the decision based on what is best for you. Just make sure your insurance will cover the costs.
Unread 07-12-2007, 01:06 PM

I had the "bladder test" last month. I had to go in with a full bladder and then pee. They inserted a small catheter in my urethra and I had to push, stand, jump, etc to see if I leaked urine. They also had put normal saline into my bladder via the catheter and made my bladder full with fluid to see how well I held it. I really had not had any urine leakage problems before,but my bladder had fell into my vagina. While this is going on they take xray or ultrasound type pictures. At then end you have to void into a special toilet to measure how much of the fluid comes out. Yes, I'll admit I was scared, but in hindsight it was more embarrassing than painful. I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them. I think it lasted about 30 to 40 minutes, not any longer. Tobasco39

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register