Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts

Unread 05-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Re: Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts

I'm 60 years old and had my hysterectomy about 9 1/2 weeks ago. Since I have always suffered with anxiety problems I can tell you that your fears seem normal to me. I stopped having periods about 3 years ago. I have not been very good about seeing Drs as inxurance isn't gooe and again the anxiety issues. I went to see my gyno for a vaginal infection on March 4th. There were two large items in my belly they couldn't account for. I had surgery March 15th. I wish I had done it 10 years ago. Not that it was so easy. But the surgery saved my life and the doctor and hospital took such good care of me. I feel so good knowing all that stuff is out of me. I've also learned a whole lot about taking good care of myself. I learned that my husband cares for me much more than I knew.
My fear actually decreased as I got closer to surgery. As I made preparations, I started to realize that I really wanted things better for myself. I had surgery late in the day and I thought I would be scared jout of my mind for the 6 hours I had to be at the hospital before surgery. Again they took such good care that I was peaceful with my decision and almost fell asleep waiting even though they had not given me anything but electrlytes. Yes, it hurt at first but not as bad as the time I had brken my pelvis or even when I broke some ribs. There was a good reason for this pain. I had something inside that needed to be removed.
I can't tell you what you should do. But I can tell you I'm so thankful I had this done. I'm thankful to my nurses who took such good care of me. I thankful for my Dr who listened to my needs. I'm so thankful for my husband who has had a rather emotionally unpredictable woman for the last few weeks. Although that is getting better and I'm not taking hormones. I wish you all the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2011, 11:17 PM

I only had my DD and my DH visit me in the hospital.
I was resting, and I had great nurses.
I told everyone to see me when I got home, and they did.
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:22 AM

This morning I feel more at peace. My demons seem to be settling on the fact that I now have an army of sisters for defense against them! Your stories are so touching and yes even though I tend to be weepy these days you all make me cry reading these wonderful posts. Such words of wisdom. It has made me strong and I hope some of you who have had demons are getting rid of them too. I am looking forward to feeling good. I pray everyday that my surgery will go smooth and the Dr will not have anything seriously complicated to deal with. Again, that is a "what if" so I will stop that. I am trying to wrap things up at work, get as healthy as I can and try to avoid anything that will cause me anxiety. I have been over my past anxiety issues for quite sometime and I am wondering now if my hormone and adeno did not contribute to those previous anxiety problems. I have always been a pretty strong person. I take every day one at a time and try not to dwell on the days of waiting ahead of me. I do think the couple of days before surgery will be tough but I will keep thinking about better days ahead (post surgery).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2011, 08:56 AM

My first thought is that the fact is Menopause can take quite a long time..... years. .... so even if you began the process today you'd still have a pretty lengthy time of it. I vote for getting your problems taken care of now. Good luck!
Unread 05-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Sounds good Ellagal!
Glad you are feeling stronger.
This is a great forum!
It helps me a lot, since information in this country is not invented yet. :-)
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Had surgery in Nov. at age 57. No regrets. I was not suffering like you are. Follow your instincts.
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:30 AM

I noticed that *graiae66 must be a pre oppie now. I hope you are feeling good (and better) I am thinking of you please keep us posted. *Amymcg, *Veenus, and *drjp I am saying prayers for you good luck in your upcoming surgeries. I hope you all keep us posted on your recoveries. Your encouragements make us all stronger. All of us seem to be getting closer and I wonder why this week is going exceptionally slow. I feel like I am going to have my period. My breasts are sore and I am getting that icky feeling. Sent H out for M&Ms last night and I have to stay away from the salt. Maybe my body is going to confirm my decision?? I pray this period (it would be early), if it actually comes is not going to be like the last one. I will be screwed. It took so long to bounce back from the last one. I have taken care of myself eating well and trying to do some walking to prepare for this surgery. The fatigue is only off and on now and I am laying low. I can't wait to be on the other side of this mess. Feeling better is the light at the end of my tunnel. That's the only thing I can seem to concentrate on. Housework is almost non existent. I feel bad because the house is so dirty. H never complains. I am lucky. What is everyone doing to occupy your minds? I have cut back on work because I feel lousy. I am running out of ideas.
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:45 AM

Thanks for the well wishes but I had to reschedule as I'm still sick. I'm so upset. Instead of heading to the castle tomorrow I have 3 more weeks of pain and waiting. I haven't had a chance to get on the computer to change my date and cant work out how to do it from my phone.

As for the housework I hear you there! It's a case of the mind's willing but the body's not able. I stopped caring if people drop in unannounced, but then again people have stopped dropping in. I just can't get on top of things as my back is now in excruciating pain within 5 minutes of doing anything now.
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:10 AM

OH Veenus I am very sorry. The waiting is the hardest part. If you are that sick then waiting is for the best. I know you have heard it before but rest and take care of yourself. I know in my case the iron pills made me so sick I couldn't eat. Not eating made me extremely weak and sick. I had so much pressure under my sternum I thought I had a tumor or something in there. (that ended in a CT scan which showed nothing) When I went off of the iron pills I then realized they were the culprit and I was finally able to get food in me. I started drinking instant breakfasts along with anything I could eat... cereal, crackers an egg. Then I started to eat a ton of fresh spinach with orange juice and whatever else I could find that was good for me. The sicky feeling went away and I feel better. NOW, I don't know what it is that is making you sick but I do know the not eating part was my biggest issue along with the iron. If by chance I am not hungry when I am supposed to eat I have an instant breakfast. I hope you feel better and I send you lots of hugs. Keep us posted.
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Thanks Ellagal. I have a chest infection. Tomorrow is going to be such a tease knowing how close I was to putting it behind me. I'm just feeling a bit woe is me lol. I'm glad you found what was making you feel bad.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register