Left Wondering what will be... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Left Wondering what will be... Left Wondering what will be...

Unread 04-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Left Wondering what will be...

Deciding to have my surgery the dr. told me that she wanted to do a vaginal hysto but because I have had so many surgeries on my abdominal area (6 total) my bladder may not be able to handle another... and they may end up having to do an incisional one... when confirming the scheduled date the nurse told me there would be a surgeon in the room as well just on an as needed basis... is this normal procedure? or are they pretty much contemplating the need to go a more invasive route?

2nd worry, the could not find my left ovary while doing an ultrasound (neither externally or internally) and the dr. is perplexed as to where it is and why they could not find it. However, my left ovary area is where 99% of my pain stems from, so much so that today (although i am not on my period yet) I was having such severe cramping on my left side that it was sending sharp pain down my leg... took the medicine my gyn gave me for pain and was fine but now pain meds are wearing off and pain is slowly returning... ugg! cannot wait to have this surgery, however the uncertainty of what will happen is so disturbing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Re: Left Wondering what will be...

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about your problems! Six abdominal surgeries? Yuck! I know, that often the primary surgeon (your Dr.) will have a 2nd surgeon in the room to assist. This is VERY common. Is the other surgeon specialized in anything or a general surgeon? At least you know (and I hope not), that if there is something your Dr. doesn't feel comfortable doing he/she has that other Dr. to help. Sounds like you're in good hands.
The ovary thing...maybe the ovary is "pinned" down by adhesions or something? I'm sure your surgery will go well, and the way they do them is so advanced that I'm sure you'll be fine. If, however, they do have to do it with abdominal incision at least you know that when you heal, it was all worth it!
Unread 04-28-2011, 08:43 PM

I have the same issue with my left ovary. They can never find it in the ultrasound, even when they do the transvaginal. I honestly think they won't really know what's causing all of this pain until they get in there and take stuff out. I just know in my heart that they are going to find something that they weren't aware of when they do the surgery. When are you scheduled? I am on May 12 and it cannot get here fast enough! Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2011, 01:16 AM

Couldn't find my left ovary either in the ultra sound. But from what I've read about the DiV it magnifies everything so it is easier to find. Dr. also said that ovaries and lymp nodes could be surrounded with blood vessels etc and hard to access. Won't know till they get in there May 5th.
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:24 AM

My left ovary is way up high and my right one is really low and can only be found my the vaginal sonogram.
I do believe also that it is common to have another surgeon on stand by somewhat just in case.
Good Luck to you!!!!
Unread 04-29-2011, 09:24 AM

I am scheduled for surgery May 11... <eg> lol... but i am slowly coming to terms with things. Just really hard to think about "going under the knife" again. My left ovary is MIA haha, I hope they find it when they do surgery, and I am relieved to hear that it is standard to have another set of hands in the room when it is time. You girls are the best in a time like this and i truly appreciate all of you! <3 thanks so much!
Unread 04-29-2011, 09:58 AM

Glad to hear the info regarding 2 surgeons being in the operating room. I have that on the list of questions for my doctor in my preop appt next week. She briefly made mention that 2 doctor's were going to be there but I didn't think to ask why. It had me a little worried about why there needed to be 2? My uterus is to large so I have to have lap instead of vaginal. My surgery is May 12 and as it gets closer I am getting more and more anxious. I think the biggest thing I am anxious about is to have everything in order at home and at work before I am unable to do anything!?!?!
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:18 PM

On the info I read about DiVinci, there is always a 2nd Dr. in the room. One at the computer controls and one near the table and patient.
Unread 04-29-2011, 12:21 PM

I thought that my oncology gyn was the only doctor in the room, LOL.
I thought maybe him and the anesthesiologist.
Your doctor is probably right since you have had 6 abdominal surgeries, but I would get a second opinion to be sure.

When was your last surgery?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register