Please Help...questions about spinal anethesia, progesterone, complex cyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please Help...questions about spinal anethesia, progesterone, complex cyst Please Help...questions about spinal anethesia, progesterone, complex cyst

Unread 08-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Please Help...questions about spinal anethesia, progesterone, complex cyst

Hi all. This is my first post. I found this site through a web search and I am so happy that I did.
I have endo and a complex cyst on my left ovary. I had my right ovary removed in 1998 due to a dermoid cyst that torsioned. I am 37 and sometimes feel as if I am already beginning to go through some of the symptoms of menopause(hot flashes, night sweats).
In March of this year, I was scheduled to have the cyst removed and have the endo taken care of. The dr was going to try and save the ovary. At that time, he did not mention that it was complex. As soon as they administered the anesthesia(sp), I crashed and woke up with a tube in my throat. Needless to say, I don't want to go through that again. I am now going to a new dr. due to the fact that the last one told me it was all my fault that I almost died.
The new dr is trying hormones before going the surgical route. I am on progesterone and it is making me a witch. I feel bad for my dh.
My questions are: Has anyone had a hyst using a spinal for anesthesia? Has anyone else had this problem with the progesterone causing mood issues? Is the fact that the cyst is now complex an indication of anything?

Thanks for any help that you can give.
Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2006, 04:52 AM

Unreal that a Dr would blame you like that. Was it a medication you had taken and not told him? I would think that would be the only thing that comes to mind where , we as patients, really could be at fault (but I think then only if we knew we shouldn't take it and didn't tell them).

Thre are a couple of posts on here where people have had hysts with an epi. Its not what i would want but for some with bad reactioons to generals, it offers an option. My mom had minor issues with progest, I think they swtiched her to something else but that was several years ago. When my mom had a cyst are her kidney they were watching , one year it became 'comples' and as that was explained to me, that meant it was either bleeding (rupture?) or had a minor infection.

Best wishes to you.

Julie
Unread 08-20-2006, 08:58 AM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your last surgery.

Yes, some (((sisters))) have had a hysterectomy with an epidural. I asked about that option, and my doctor gave me a strange look and said, "Do you REALLY want to be awake for this?" And I said, "Well, no, not really." She went on to explain that when a patient is awake for surgery, they really need to assign one person to tend to the patient, as in keeping the patient informed and reassured. She also said that if something were to make the surgery go longer than necessary, patients often get very anxious even though it's not a major problem. (In my case, since my uterus and bladder were adhered to each other, my surgery took an extra hour.)

That's just one thing to consider. On the plus side, of course, you'll probably be less groggy (even though they will administer some sedation along with the epidural) if you have a spinal.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2006, 12:05 PM

Thank you for your answers and support. The reason that the doc told me that it was my fault was that I am a smoker and I have asthma. I know, bad for me. He knew all of this ahead of time. I talked with my pcp afterwards and had them get the records from the surgery. Turns out that it had nothing to do with my smoking. I apparently had an allergic reaction to something in the anesthesia. I remember waking up with them talking about giving me a second shot of epinepherine.

I have had 2 other surgeries prior to this last one without any problems so wasn't very concerned about going under for this one. Guess that shows me?!? That's one lesson learned the hard way.

I will be going back the the gyno in October and he has me scheduled for another ultrasound in the end of September. Does anyone know if the progesterone might have any effect on the cyst?

Thanks again.
Diane
Unread 08-20-2006, 12:59 PM

I'm 37.
I had a dermoid cyst torsion & require Emerg surgery in 2001 to remove the right ovary & tube. (I was a smoker at that time and also asthmatic!)
I'm trying to save the left ovary when I have the TAH. Won't know for sure until I wake up.
See if they can check your records from the previous "good" surgeries on what was used for anaesthetic. I just tell the anaesthetist now to "use whatever was used last time"
Otherwise, investigate and epidural surgery. You didn't mention if it's just the ovarian cyst or hyst or ??? that you're looking at getting done.
Unread 08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I know what your going through

I too am going through hell with the progesterone. Not only does it make me irritable I've now broken out in hives all over my body. So now it will be back to the heavy bleeding till all my tests come back. I don't know if the progesterone has any effects on the cyst. I'm having a D&C, hysteroscopy and endemetrial biopsy next week. Have an appointment with the aneathesist on Thur so will ask him regards the cyst, as I have one too. Hang in there I know its a scary time from Evvie
Unread 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM

We are looking at having both hysterectomy and oopherectomy. I am more concerned with the anesthesia than I am with any possible complications. I know that probably sounds naive. I know that there are complications with any surgery, but with what happened last time...

Luckily, I have not broken out in hives. I just have to wonder if taking the progesterone is worth the other issues. My pain from the endo has not improved much since I started taking them. Does this normally take a long time?

Thanks all for your help. It's nice to be able to talk with others who have gone through the same type problems and can really understand where I am coming from. My DH is great. He listens to me, but it's hard for him to know exactly what I mean. I am just glad that he is as understanding as he is.

Diane

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register