surgery or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery or not? surgery or not?

Unread 10-11-2000, 09:43 AM
surgery or not?

I am scheduled for LAVH w/ possible TAH on 10/19/00. I am having second thoughts. I think that I am just scared but I am looking for advice. I have posted in LIW message board and have gotten a few replies. One of them said I should try posting here. So, here it goes..

I am 34 y/o with three healthy children. So, I am done with having kids. I have a wonderful husband and we just bought our dream home..

However, I have a hx of moderate to severe groin/low pelvic pressure/pain that goes down my leg and throbs. I have been checked for blood clot. I have hx of significant adhesions that have been removed during two previous surgeries. They were on large bowel, uterus, and tubes were all "glued" together. I have bleeding after intercourse but not always. But when I do it is quite a large amount of bleeding. After orgasm I cramp moderately and the pain begins to flare up in my leg and groin. My uterus is not enlarged, no fibroids on pelvic exam, no excessive period bleeding. I do have some discomfort in certain positions with intercourse. So, basically, I have pain/discomfort after orgasm, bleeding intermittently after intercourse, pelvic pressure, moderate to severe cramping that radiates down my leg consistent with back and leg labor, and hx of fairly significant adhesions. Doc suggested LAVH with possible TAH depending on what they find. He says that if the adhesions are like cellophane (sp?) then he will just snip them and remove the uterus. But, if they are severe adhesions and are thicker in size then he probably won't be able to separate them from all the stuff that is glued together and will have to do TAH due to them ( uterus, tubes) moving as one mass and he won't be able to get them out through the vagina. However, he is most certain that his goal is for me to keep my ovaries. I have informed him that the only reason to take my ovaries is if there is disease, cancer, or they cannot be removed from the "adhesions" around them. I guess I am trying to justify surgery. Some of these women, most of these women on this site seem to be in so much more distress than me. Yes, my pain/discomfort does get pretty uncomfortable and is like a nagging toothache. But, it is not ALL of the time. It has increased in frequency. I guess I am wondering if my case is serious enough for hyster?? My doc seems to think so or he wouldn't have suggested it. My main symptom is the cramping pelvic pressure/pain/groin pressure/pain that radiates into my leg which he can't guarantee this will take care of. There will be another surgeon there assisting him to consider something else going on in the groin area once they are in there. I have a piece of mesh in my groin from previous surgery for hernia that they are concerned about. Said that it could cause complicatins if adhesions covering it. WHEW!!! Please, if someone has a similar problem.. I just don't see very many women on this site who have had a hsyter due to adhesions..... which is basically the reason he suggested mine.

thanks!! lil sista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2000, 10:29 AM
surgery or not?

I just read your post and I feel like were in the same boat!
I'm 28 with 3 children, I have been having pelvic pain that has gotten worse since March of this year. I had pain during ovulation in July and it hasn't gone away yet, it is a constant nagging pain that tends to worsen with period and ovulation. I began doctoring for it last month when I could no longer tolerate it and I was taking Percocet for the pain because Tylenol and Motrin were no longer working.
The doctor put me on Naporsyn and birth control pills and sent me on my way. Well by the end of 3 weeks nothing had changed and I was back in her office looking for answers of which she offered me the possible diagnosis of Endo and said she would need to have an ultrasound done, blood work and a biopsy of my uterin lining of which I had done last night. OUCH! Then my option was a laprascope with possible lasering of endo tissue and possible vaginal hyster. I thought WOW! Now if that is what it would take to rid me of all this discomfort I have had for the last 8 months then I am all for it! I also want to keep my ovaries unlesss they are diseased in some way that will cause me trouble later. I am so exhausted of this pain and how it has totaly changed my life. I'm so ready for things to be how they were before all this started. I hope all goes well for you and I hope you make the decision that works for you. I will know which way I am going in about a week when they get the report back on my biopsy, all of these procedures had to be done for insurance before they would okay a lap. Good Luck and keep in touch jlkenny_99@hotmail.com

Jamie
Unread 10-11-2000, 07:26 PM
surgery or not?

Gals,
My pain was very similar. Especially groin and down leg. And pain at ovalution. Large clots and heavy bleeding! pain during and after sex. Almost like uterus was still spasming sometime even next day! It started about 3 years ago and then got much worse. At first, just a few days a month then 2 weeks or more a month. I finally went to doc in May. Uterus was so enlarged he couldn't even do a proper pelvic. Sent me the next day for ultra sounds, abd and vaginal. Still couldn't find right ovary because of mass. Did diagnostic lap which sent uterus into spasms which lasted for 11 horrible days. Constant pain in right side especially and groin pain so bad I thought I wouldn't make it!! Finally stopped them with a drug called librax. A sort of muscle relaxer for bladder and colon but worked on uterus.. Thank GOd!! He then said the only way to get rid of pain was complete hyst. Everything was enlarged or covered in cyst. Suspected adenomoysis which turned out I also had. The horrible right side pain every month during ovulation turned out to be tumor in right tube. I went on birth control pills for 4 weeks to stop bleeding and build blood for surgery. Right side pain stopped. { no ovaluation} I had complete hyst in July and Gals, PAIN IS GONE!!!!! No groin pain, no side pain, still a little back pain [Have disc problem} but even that is better! I Thank God everyday!! I am 11 weeks post-op now and recovering well! Ovaries had tumors in them as well and now I wonder how I stood the pain for sooo long! It is so nice not to hurt all the time. I am 44 years old, own my own business and been working full time for about 6 weeks. I hope this somehow helps your decision making. I was scared ,so scared but I just kept thinking of the pain and I knew I had to do it! I am still having a little problem with hormones but even that seems to be improving!

God Bless you both, My prayers are with you, Love, Deb tah/bso 7/17/00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2000, 07:15 PM
Is it severe enough for surgery?

I too am concerned about whether my symptoms are severe enough for major surgery. But I think we are doing the
right thing by researching and asking questions.
It's funny how something like this makes you think long and hard about the ins and outs of your body. As a mother, we don't get to think much about ourselves. But we must do exactly that to be sure we are making the right decision.

Good luck in your journey.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register