housework | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-14-2004, 10:42 AM
housework

I am new to this site. I will be having my TAH on October 21st. Waiting for this day is the hardest part for me at this time. The other hard part is that my house is up for sale and I have a husband and two children who can't seem to do anything without me, including keeping the house clean up to my standards. I have been told that I will not be able to do anything after my surgery and I am really scared that my family will not be able to keep the house clean and do everything else that I do for them without me. I am afraid that it will consume me to a point where I actually get up and do it myself. I know that this will be my biggest challenge after my surgery. I could really use some advised about how to handle the urge to help out with the everyday stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2004, 10:49 AM
housework

I live alone, so there was no one, other than me and my cats, to clean up after, but there was still cleaning to be done. I hired a wonderful woman to come in and help out for the first 4 weeks after my LAVH. She did the vacuuming, laundry, changed the sheets, cleaned the bathroom and kitchen, and also helped with some cooking chores. It was great! If you can afford to have someone come in once or twice a week for a few weeks, that would be a great help. But don't decide to clean on your own!! You only get one chance to have an uncomplicated recovery...don't risk your own well-being for Better Homes & Gardens!!
Unread 10-14-2004, 02:31 PM
housework

I agree. Hire it out if you can. If you can't, then for the first month or so after surgery, tell the realtor you need 24 hours' notice to show the house (so you can get the family to clean) and explain the post-surgery stuff.

No matter what, don't do the housework. Believe it or not, vacuuming is one of the WORST things you can do -- and all the bending and reaching that comes with picking up and dusting are almost as bad!!!

If you have to, take your house off the market for a few weeks. Do whatever you have to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2004, 02:33 PM
housework

Hi sunshine and to Hystersisters.

I felt exactly the same way as you. I was convinced that my house would crumble around me, and the world would come to an end while I was recovering. An amazing thing happened....my dh stepped up and did a wonderful job of taking care of me, our son, and the house.

No, the house was not up to my "standards" but as far as I know, nobody has ever been attacked and eaten by a killer dust bunny It is amazing that my dh even managed to do the laundry! No, it wasn't folded the way I wanted, but agian, neither he or my son were permanently traumatized by wrinkled t-shirts.

I'm not trying to sound flippant here, but if you're anything like me, you REALLY won't care about alot of this stuff while you're recovering. You really need to focus on YOU. Healing and resting should be your #1 priority.

I like (((maribel"s))) idea....if you can possibly hire someone to come in and do the heavy stuff for you, htat would be great. If not, make sure your kids (if they're old enough) and your hubby know how to work the microwave, and can order pizza! Teach them to sort laundry and how to turn on the machine. I left instructional sticky notes all over the house!

I really truly hope that you take care of you!
I mean no offense here, but sometimes sarcastic humor is my way of dealing with serious situations.

Many hugs and much love
T

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register