Dr. has reccomended LSH was anyone else really back to work in 2 weeks??!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. has reccomended LSH was anyone else really back to work in 2 weeks??!! Dr. has reccomended LSH was anyone else really back to work in 2 weeks??!!

Unread 06-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Dr. has reccomended LSH was anyone else really back to work in 2 weeks??!!

Hi all,
Just some background on me. I had a Myomectomy for large disruptive fibroids in 2004. The fibroids have recurred, and after a hydro-sonogram, my Gyn found that I have a polyp that is causing severe bleeding and cramps. I've been suffering with very long periods as well (one lasting 4 weeks).

My Gyn is reccomending ablasion and D&C or LSH (my family is complete, my children are almost grown). I know that I want to go ahead with the LSH; but I am concerned about the recovery time. My Dr. says is can be as short as 2 weeks, and it's hard for me to believe. I am just remembering how bad I felt 2 weeks after the Myomectomy and I just can't imagine feeling good enough to go back to work in such a short time.

Looking to hear from those of you who've had LSH; how was the recovery? Was it really as easy and short as my Dr. and some of the information I'm finding says it is? I know everyone is different.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2009, 08:47 AM
Re: Dr. has reccomended LSH was anyone else really back to work in 2 weeks??!!

Hi Adiba,

Sorry you are dealing with all this. It is a big decision and its good to check out all the options.

The LSH is a great way to have a hyster! I was working at two weeks. I was actually working sooner than that but I work from home so it isn't quite the same. I easily could have gone to an office job at two weeks. I had a very big fibroid uterus and my surgery lastd three hours so it was no minor operation. I was golfing at three weeks which is more difficult than working for me. I wouldn't do any heavy lifting for a good while, four or five weeks, after any ab surgery. My appendectomy (laproscopic) was much, much easier. I walked to the car after the surgery, I drove the next day and was golfing at one week.

Having a bunch of stitches is what takes time to heal. With the LSH you don't have a vaginal cuff that takes six weeks to heal and can open if not allowed to heal properly.

If you are looking for a quick recovery, the LSH is the way to go.

Good luck,

Pat
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:20 AM

I did not have an LSH; I had a TAH/BSO with a 10 inch vertical incision that went thru my belly button. I'm two and a half weeks out, and honestly feel that I can go back to work. The only reason why I'm not going is because my doctor refuses to release me.

I feel great! No pain, no flashes, lots of energy, I walk very well, and I've been cleared to drive and can do so without problems. If I didn't know better, I would think I didn't have anything done.

Once you have your procedure, you'll know if you're up to working at two weeks (and from what I understand, an LSH is supposedly easier than a TAH). If not, then, by all means, please stay home and rest up until you're able.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Hi Pat,
Thanks so much for the feedback. It helps to hear real scenarios from those who've been there. I do have an office job so nothing strenuous and it would be great not to have to be out 6 weeks.
Unread 06-28-2009, 09:38 AM

i had a very easy recovery..2 weeks is definitely possible. i had to go back very quickly due to a family emergency but i felt fine. i was released by my dr at 2 weeks. with the lsh you keep your cervix and theres no vaginal cuff to heal, so even though its still major surgery..you do have less to heal.
what makes it hard is that no one knows beforehand how they will feel afterwards, so try to plan on 4-6 weeks just in case. good luck
Unread 06-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks so much for the responses. I just remember how crummy I felt after the Myomectomy, it's hard to envision such a quick recovery. I am looking forward to not suffering month after month though so in that regard I'm satisfied it's the right thing.
Unread 07-02-2009, 02:58 PM

Hi abida,

I had my LSH about 10 months ago. Talked to my doctor at length about recovery time, and when I could expect to be back to certain activities.

I returned to my office job one week after surgery. Actually had my post-op the day after I went back to work, and my doctor walked into the exam room, looked at me and said, "you don't look like you just had surgery a week ago!" I believe mine was an extreme case of everything going right. There are no guarantees, so try to be flexible when planning your recovery time. But there are some of us out there who had the kind of experience they tout in all of the literature.
Unread 07-05-2009, 01:32 PM

adiba,
Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to those who have responded. I'm having surgery 3 weeks before returning to work as an elementary school teacher (inservices and prep the first week back, then the 1st day of school is 4 weeks post surgery).
I'm very concerned about not having enough energy to teach, especially because the beg of the year is so busy with long hours. My Dr keeps telling me that 3 weeks is more than enough time and gave some examples of patients who were back at work after one week. (But I haven't been believing her!)
I appreciate hearing about other people's experiences with LSH and quick recoveries. It makes me feel better about mine.
Unread 07-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Hi Adiba,
I am currently 12 weeks post LSH. And I feel great. Most days I forget I even had a hysterectomy.
I went into my LSH super fit and strong. I also have a super active physical life so that helped as well.
I spent one night in the hospital and was up walking that night. I walked 4 blocks the next day when I was sent home. Walking really helped the CO2 gas move.
I was back to work at my office job 17 days after surgery. My boss kept telling me not to over do it, so I did work 1/2 days, although I could have worked full days.
I was back riding my horses at 21 days. My doctor said I could have started sooner, but I was worried about damaging something.
The amazing thing about a LSH is that there are no internal sutures. Everything is cauterized, so you have less chance of forming adhesions than with a surgery that is more invasive.
My lifting restricitions were lifted after 2 weeks. Although I would notice that my belly would be a bit swollen if I did too much. At my 3 week check my doctor explained that I could not do any damage at this point and could work up the point were it was painful, back off and then push a bit further the next day.
So to answer your question, and remember we all heal at different rates, you should be able to go back to an office job at 2 weeks. I would tell them you will be back 1/2 days for that first week just until you see how you feel. But 2 weeks is doable.
Unread 07-05-2009, 09:11 PM

I am a teacher but waited until summer to have my LSH. I also had a very easy recovery and could have worked in a week but had the summer off. A friend of mine had an LSH on a Thursday and came back to work teaching (she is an RSP teacher) the following Tuesday. Although she wore elastic pants and had to nap when she got home, she did fine. It really is an easy surgery (and I had a myomectomy as well prior) with very little pain (only took Advil when needed) but it is still surgery, so take it easy for a while and remember that you will "hit a wall" here and there during your recovery.
Kim
LSH 6/27/07

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register