Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 10-Aug 16,2020 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 10-Aug 16,2020 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 10-Aug 16,2020

Unread 08-12-2020, 03:51 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 10-Aug 16,2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybutsweetI View Post
I’m on Gabapentin, Tramadol, Tylenol & Aleve. My pain level has been a 1, since I got home. I’m about to cut back on these medicines tomorrow. I cough lightly. No bowel movement yet.
Oh wow!!!!! My doctor had to give me strongrr pain meds today. I went from vicodin to percocet! You're so lucky. I wish i could breathe better.
Sigh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2020, 04:28 PM

TMI, but I just had my first bowel movement. My stomach cramped up prior, but I feel so much better. Whew!
Unread 08-12-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea Rivette View Post
Sounds like we all are having the same symptoms. Did you all do out patient or stay in the hospital overnight? I am glad I was home but its kind of scary and lonely not having answers to what is normal especially the first night.
Yes, the gas is awful. I force myself to sit up and stand up or my husband helps me and once I burp I feel better. Gas x seems to be helping so my husband when and got that too. Tonight will be my second night. I wish I could lay on my side!!!!!

I spent 1 night in the hospital, couldn't sleep at all. I am having a difficult time not being able to lay on my side too.
Also taking the gas x... But it's slow going.
Honestly, even at the hospital, it seemed like I was given limited/canned answers. The pain and discomfort is difficult to explain to the hospital staff, so unless they experienced it, I am not sure they understand what I am describing.

I also felt my surgeon (who works with my obgyn, but who I only met 1 time prior to my surgery) didn't take the proper time with me. She didn't really discuss other options until I asked and she never even wrote up a consultation note in my portal. She sent another Dr from the practice to speak to me today, who couldn't answer questions about my surgery because she was not there.
So many of questions were answered by my regular PA during my med clearance, this site and internet searches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybutsweetI View Post
TMI, but I just had my first bowel movement. My stomach cramped up prior, but I feel so much better. Whew!
Congrats!
Unread 08-12-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
What meds are you guys on for pain?
Anyone able to cough or poop yet?!
I've been taking percocet, but it really isn't doing much but making me constipated. No, haven't had a BM yet, but starting to get gassy, so hope things will resolve soon. I took a stool softener this afternoon.
Unread 08-12-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemsplay View Post

It's about 24 hours since my laparoscopic hysterectomy, kept both ovaries.
How do I know what is normal abdominal pain? It hurts when I move, sit up, walk, pretty much do anything. It seems like there are several types of pain in one area, the incision pain, constipation and gas pain, I even feel pressure/cramps near my lower rib cage and shoulder.
I can't lie on my side without pain/discomfort even with pillows. When I cough, I am worried I will mess up my healing.

I guess I just want to know... Is this normal? Dr said my abdomen is soft and cool and things look good.

On a positive note, I'm barely bleeding and my vagina is not sore at all at this point.
Everything you are saying is right on par with what I am going through as well....pain all over, shoulder and rib pain, can't get comfortable. I felt a little nauseous today and it is still uncomfortable when I urinate. Ugh....hopefully tomorrow will be a little better
Unread 08-12-2020, 07:35 PM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Aug 10-Aug 16,2020

Anyone else having trouble sleeping? I can't get comfortable. I get stiff or I wake up with horrible gas pains or dry mouth.
Unread 08-12-2020, 09:15 PM

Welcome all those new sisters that have checked in. So glad you are on the other side of your surgery and you have let us know how you are doing. Sorry I was not able to check the site earlier today.
I will start with the common issues across many here. Try to eat small amounts even if you are not hungry as your body needs fuel and will help keep your bowels moving. As most of you (other then Sassybutsweet-Congrads!) are still waiting for your first BM, try not to stress about it, stay the course of aids, lots of fluid and some gentle movement/walking should produce success. Remember that the heavy meds can cause constipation. So a stool softener if recommended would be a good idea, Don’t rush to laxatives as this will start a cycle of diarrhea and then constipation. When you feel the urge, try if nothing happens don’t force it. I will say that I invested in a squatty potty and still use it. But you can use anything that allows your feet to be raised up a bit. This helps align your bowels so that it is a straighter shot out. I was given the “if you have not pooped by. (4 days) I needed to call my and let my doctor know. Once I started eating and moving, so did my system.
SweetMo and other that are suffering with gas, try something like gas ex, it seriously does help. Even for that gas trapped in your shoulder. Some mention that ribs area hurts. So this might be from gas or I asked my surgeon about this as I too had it. She said that I was on a tilt table and all my organs where moved out of the way to make a clear field, well where do you think those organs went? Yep shoved up in your rib cage area!
If you are off major pain meds and your doctor said take a combo of ibuprofen and Tylenol there is a reason. Ibuprofen is for inflammation and Tylenol is for pain, I took it as directed even if I felt like I did not need it because it is important to stay ahead of it. In weeks to come as you start to do more movement, remember this.
Andrea, yes many sense “empty space in belly” feeling, soon your organs will shift around to take over the newly vacated real estate. Somethings this also causes slowing of the bowels or cramping pain. It will settle soon.
No matter if you kept your ovaries or not, you might all suffer some menopausal symptoms for a few weeks while your hormones come out of shock and start to re-balance. This will be a rollercoaster! Hormones will mess with your emotions, sleep, mood and temperature. Hang in there it will settle out naturally or ask your doctor for HRT down the road.
The use of heat or cold, either is okay. Really your choice. I like heat for crampy pain and ice for swelly belly at the end of the day.
Little Bee: some doctors suggest binders others do not want you to use them, please check with yours before you invest in one. My doctor did not advise me to wear one, so I am not sure what I missed out on?
Jemsplay: I am sorry that you feel you are not getting answers from your doctors. Please continue to be an advocate for yourself. Call the doctors office and maybe talk to a nurse if you still have questions and as always you can ask here, I will try to help along with your other sisters here.
This was major surgery and your body will heal itself with help from you, patience and time.
Remember you are all amazingly strong women. Sending warm hugs
Unread 08-13-2020, 03:51 AM

Is anyone dealing with very swollen feet and legs? I can't believe the swelling. I guess it makes sense.
This is all just horrible pain and discomfort. I'm heading into my 3rd day. Surgery was on Tuesday. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't done this. =(
Unread 08-13-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Is anyone dealing with very swollen feet and legs? I can't believe the swelling. I guess it makes sense.
This is all just horrible pain and discomfort. I'm heading into my 3rd day. Surgery was on Tuesday. I'm kind of wishing I hadn't done this. =(
Hi Andrea,

If you have not been, try staying off your feet and elevate them when you rest. If you have doing this and are concerned Or have Pain in your legs certainly check in with doctor. Are you on any anti-inflammatory med? Push fluids and try to avoid sodium. Compression socks can Also help too.

Hang in there, I promise it will get better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register