Research before dr. appt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Research before dr. appt Research before dr. appt

Unread 08-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Research before dr. appt

I appolagise in advance for my completely ignorant questions. I feel I need to ask the questions I have as they come so I don't forget them. A bit of my background first and then my questions. I'm 27 yrs old. For the last 3 months or so I have been experiencing lower back pain and lower abdominal pain. I dont have insurance so didnt go to the doctor just dealt with the pain (alive and hot baths) as best as I could. finally Thursday night the pain got to be unbearable and I had my husband take me to the emergency room. The emergency doctor commented that I looked pregnant and I assured him I was not (husband has had a vasectomy) and the urine test backed me up. They sent me for an ultrasound and came back and told me I have a 27 cm growth on my left adnexal wall. they scheduled an appointment with an obgyn for Thursday. From what I can figure out I think that with out diagnosing anything that I have a large fibroid. from what Ive been reading the general treatment for large fibroids in hysterectomy. I want to go into this appointment as knowledgeable as I can be of my options.

As (hopefully) all my treatment will be covered through a uncharitable fund at the hospital I don't think I will have very many options for second opinions and such.

First is there realistic and effective options for large fibroids?
If I have to have a hysterectomy if I keep my ovaries I still have a monthly cycle? does early menopause (from surgery) have risks or if you can have children why would you continue to have a period?

Also how quickly do they schedule hysterectomy's? Is it a quick process or does it take months? I'm in a lot of pain and have had a hard time working for the last few months. I want to get things taken care of quickly. But need to figure out how to schedule with work to have the time off.

I'm kind of in a state of shock... I don't know what questions I should be asking. I'm at a loss.

I would appreciate any advice or wisdom that you can pass on.

Who knows I may be completely wrong in what is really going on with me but I doubt it and want to be prepared.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Research before dr. appt

Hi MuddyGal,

I had fibroids in pre-op so I can understand what you might be going through. Fibroids are not fun!!!!

Here is a *Hyster Sisters Checkpoints* link that might be helpful. Goes over questions to ask your Dr. and the different types of hysts that are performed by Drs.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

Also, possibly you are a good candidate for a myomectomy, removal of the fibroids only?? It leaves the uterus intact.

Or also a UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization), a procedure that helps to reduce fibroids.

In my case, I had a laparoscopic hyst (LSH) to remove my uterus with fibroids. Still pleased with the results. I kept my ovaries and cervix. In answer to your question on a monthly cycle, I still ovulate, since I have my ovaries and I do not have a period.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 08-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Research before dr. appt

Well went to my doctor today. It wasn't a fibroid, turns out I have a very large cyst, they think its attached to my ovary but aren't sure so I have a CT scan Tuesday. The good news is my doctor is a very nice, professional, knowledgeable woman who is honest with me about my situation and i am very comfortable with her. The bad is that no mater where my cyst is attached I have to have a breast bone to pelvic bone incision to make sure that the cyst is removed in one piece. So anyway at the moment I'm in a state of confusion don't know whats going on except that the doctor told me that it looks bad. The size of my cyst and my age to have it are both rare. I will have surgery sometime in the next 2-4 weeks. I guess I don't really "belong" here since I probably wont have a hysterectomy but I thought I would share what was going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Research before dr. appt

Hi MuddyGal,

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery. We Hyster Sisters are here to help if we can with any of your questions.

Mary
Unread 08-10-2007, 11:57 AM
you belong!

Hi. Alot of the same concerns for abdom. surgery apply to you in removing a large cyst as apply to re. large fibroid. Many of the women here have surgery that also involves ovarian cysts, and honey, the ovaries are one part of 3-that make up hysterectomy. It is usually concerned w/uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries. so you belong and many of your concerns can be addressed. Under search here but in ovarian cyst and see what comes up. Praying for you
Unread 08-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Research before dr. appt

I will just update here rather than start a new thread. Heard from Gyn today, Surgery for September 11th, CT scan didn't reveal where cyst is connected they still think ovary, the words of the nurse "I think it was just too big for them to see where it connected" which is understandable, I have a large growth about the size of a loaf of bread (a little bigger) but jeez not very comforting. I'm having lots of pain issues right now, last night I was up all night in pain can't lay down, can't sit up, can't stand for very long so I was up and down a lot. Anyway so now they are gonna give me sleeping pills and go back to the milder pain meds. I feel like that may be a mistake but I still have to work as much as I can up until my surgery. I have to go in to get yet another blood draw because I was so anemic the first time and have been on iron since, they say I still may end up with a blood transfusion if my iron count isn't up enough. Seems like all my medical issues are crashing down on me all at once. Has anyone else felt so lost as to what to do and ask?

I am asking better questions about it tomorrow I hope, I make these notes to ask but never remember to look at them. but I need to ask about chances of ovary removal/ uterus removal, she did say she wanted to keep me "intact' as much as possible so thats reassuring, but she said I would probably loose at least my left ovary but I want some more clarification, and if I have solid parts or if its all liquid. Any of you ladies with ovarian cyst have any other advice, or questions I should ask, All I know is that I want this painful, heavy, growth out of me asap, but I prefer to be more informed. Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register