OCD - Anyone else diagnosed with this? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OCD - Anyone else diagnosed with this? OCD - Anyone else diagnosed with this?

Unread 08-21-2007, 08:20 AM
OCD - Anyone else diagnosed with this?

Just wondering if any other sisters suffer from OCD. My TAH is on 8/30, and my OCD is thru the roof. Any suggestions on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.

Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM

Hi Imdramatic!

I don't have OCD, but I think I'm suffering from pre-op OCD! Seriously. Not to make light of your situation. All I can think about is the upcoming surgery and everything that needs to get done before the surgery happens. It's like I'm going through life with blinders on until the 27th. People talk to me and I have no idea what they are saying b/c I'm thinking about this!! At work - I'm thinking about this. Ugh!

As far as advice goes, I don't know what to offer. Maybe your dr (gyne or otherwise) would have some advice to offer or meds that may help. I myself jokingly said I need some Xanex, but I really think I DO!!! : )

Hopefully some of the other Sisters will have more advice to offer ...

Take care!

-Salam (peace)
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM

I also suffer from OCD. It's anxiety based. Are there activities that you could do that are obsessive and maybe compulsive, but not harmful?
Ironing is a good one for me. House cleaning, the internet, exercise..... all of these help. I once took a fabric pen to a white t shirt and wrote ocd things to do all over it in various colors. Jump on the bed, drink coffee, exercise, shop, talk on the phone, organize the house or a closet, the car, etc. That was fun to do. Then whenever I felt ocd, I'd wear the shirt and do one of the things written on it. Good luck...this too shall pass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2007, 01:29 PM

My husband wishes that my OCD took the form of cleaning, but it doesn't. I have been working on that - cleaning more before surgery - and it does seem to help. Thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM

Wow glad to hear it is not just me!!!! However I realize suddenly that today I went over board. No seriously, I made a list of things for hubby to do as soon as the doctor talks to him after the Surgery, I pulled out our estate planning folder. Left hubby a list of things to do if for some odd reson I die, includes how to apply for my life insurrance. Oh yeah left Hubby and son a letter in case something happens to me. Sitting here now wondering if my Ovaries are already gone because I think I may of fell off the deep end today! wow hubby will get a kick out of this when he gets home. Oh yeah last night told hubby we had to be intimate every night til surgery because we would be without that for 3-6weeks, he looked at me like I was crazy but of course he is complying (what man wouldn't). I have cleaned everything in the house and I am about to make a list with dates and chores for the hubby and friends who will be helping out.................help going crazy!!!
Unread 10-09-2007, 06:25 AM

I have both ADHD and OCD. When I was having my D&C, Hysteroscopy, and Biopsies done last month, I was counting floor tiles, pacing the floor, counting...just basically out of control.

I was fine beforehand because I was taking my medicine. Then I was told to stop taking it. Wrong move all the way around if you ask me.

The anesthesiologist was a jerk. He refused to give me even so much as valium before my surgery, and then tried to strap down both of my arms before I was given anything to knock me out in the o/r. It was hell. I was ignored. The only saving grace I had was my gyn who was just as horrified as I was.

I can soooo relate to this.
Unread 10-11-2007, 05:52 AM

Oh, wow, I just saw this post! Yep, I'm an OCD girl myself, and I've been off the charts with the anxiety garbage. It's driving my husband crazier than it usually does.

My OCD mainly manifests itself in the germaphone area, which makes being admitted the very germy hospital environment interesting to say the least. I actually work in one and KNOW what goes on behind the scenes. Believe me, all nurses/Dr.'s are NOT as clean as they need to be.

Wishing you all luck....I'm going in on Monday - TAH/BSO.
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Update...

When I went in for my pre-op physical with my primary care dr, she almost fell out of her chair when I told her about the anesthisologist, and what he pulled on me. So, she wrote me out a presription for valium to take prior to surgery. Talk about a huge relief. She also put in a call to my gyn about this. Nobody in this day and age should ever have to go through that sort of stress before surgery. She said that stress before surgery usually means stress coming out of it. :key:

Finally someone is hearing my cries.
Unread 10-16-2007, 02:24 PM

OMG womanoffaith74, you sound like what I've been doing! My TVH w/A&P is the 23rd, I even picked out an "outfit" just in case, my husband thinks I'm nuts, I even cleaned out a chest and labeled things for the people that should receive them, I was told I was OCD years ago, but mine is a cleaning and organizing thing so I stopped taking meds for it, but I was reading everyone's reply and after i read yours, it could've been mine LOL>

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register