Not Scheduled Not scheduled , yet , but am new with questions please ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not scheduled , yet , but am new with questions please ? Not scheduled , yet , but am new with questions please ?

Unread 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Not scheduled , yet , but am new with questions please ?

Hi everyone ! I just deleted a long message and I'm not sure how I did it . Anyway , I could use some advice , please.

A little background on me :

Bleeding for 50 days post-menopause.
Lady internal medicine doctor suspects cancer and says "Maybe you will just want to "get rid of it" and not have to worry "
Gentleman gynecologist does not suspect cancer.
ER nurse friend says" just get rid of the whole mess and you can use the muscles from your uterus to make a sling for your complete pelvic floor collapse( my other problem)

Anyway , I have a question for now and I will fill in my long story later.

Here it is :

My doctor gave me birth control pills to stop heavy bleeding and clotting that has been going on for over 50 days. I have taken the pills for about 6 days so far and the bleeding is gradually coming back with clotting.

The bleeding is lighter , but watery and the blood clots are smaller , but progressively getting bigger again. I have a D and C with hysteroscopy in two weeks . My doctor said that i might have break through bleeding.

My question is : how "bad" does the break through bleeding get and is there a point where I should call the doctor and let him know how bad it is ? What would that point be ? How long should I let it go or is this normal for what i am going through?

I hope that I am posting on the correct board ,and thank you in advance for any much needed advice !

hysteraskopy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Re: Not scheduled , yet , but am new with questions please ?

and First off I think I would call the bleeding for 50 days is not good. You could become anemic if you are not already! Which put you on the BCP? I would call the other one if I were you!

:hugs5: to you and I am sorry you are going through this!!!! But you have come to the right place for support!

Best to you!!!!! in there hopefully it will get better!!!!!!
Unread 06-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Call the Dr now. They may do something as simple as switching or birth control (so may kinds now) or they may want you to come in for an exam or blood work. I feel your pain. In march I had a period that lasted 6 weeks! that did it for me, TAH on June 16th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2009, 12:17 AM

Whenever I've tried to suppress bleeding with birth control pills it has completely backfired, and I bled constantly and ended in TONNES of hemmoraghing massive clots. It may not work for you, unfortunately... can you get a laparascopy or MRI to diagnose? There are different treatments depending on what you have.

Good luck, and hang in there... get some answers.

Steph
Unread 06-10-2009, 01:10 AM

Oh, I missed your other question... I have bled till I've passed out... and couldn't even stand up to get to the car to go to the hospital. The next day, after I slept, I worked a 10 hour shift. Didn't call the doctor at all. I guess that was pretty dumb; that's the worst I've ever bled while using my medication (below).

I use Cyklokapron to control the bleeding. Its not standard gynecological issue, though; ask them about it. It *usually* helps a great deal.

The one time I ran out and was bleeding and my pharmacy was closed (where I had refills on file), I went to the hospital, but not just because of bleeding, I was in SEVERE pain as well. But they did not give me cyklokapron there, and I bled constantly for 4 days and watched my blood levels drop to horrifically low levels.

I asked for a blood transfusion and they were very reluctant to do it - they kept trying to send me home! I finally convinced them. They put me on 4 high dose birth control pills a day, tapering over a week down to one. Bad idea. Cyklokapron is *way* more effective and easier on your body. To my observation, I've never had side effects from it.

I think if your bleeding becomes unmanageable, and definitely if you faint, you should get to the hospital. ASK them about cyklokapron. If they don't get it, ask them to ask someone else... like I said, it is not a standard treatment but it very well may work.

I swear, some may think I am a Cyklokapron rep, but I'm not - its just the only thing that has been holding me together for the last 7 years. Without it, I'm sure I'd have had a hyster long before now.

Steph
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:53 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my first message ! I am calling my doctors office today. It is now going on 2 months of bleeding even with the birth control ( minus 2 days for very light spotting , then back to the same old stuff)
You are all very friendly and supportive here . Thank you again !
Unread 06-18-2009, 09:14 PM

I guess I am on the Pre-Op board for real now , as I just had my D& C and the doctor said I have polyps and some areas that could "go either way" as to being cancerous. He said this by visual only , as he used hysteroscopy.

I will see him in 2 weeks for the real results. He did say that I will not stop bleeding even with the Bc pills and I need a complete hysterectomy . Fine by me for having bleeding for so long. Oh , he also said that "there sure was a lot of tissue to work with " whatever that means. A lot of tissue after having already been bleeding for so long ? What does that mean ?

I wish I had the biopsy results tomorrow. : (

Holly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register