Keep the cervix or not- that is the question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep the cervix or not- that is the question Keep the cervix or not- that is the question

Unread 06-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Keep the cervix or not- that is the question

I have heard so many different takes on this.... I do not want to have the mini periods that i have heard about... that is my main reason to do this- i have had almost a constant period since January.... Does the carterization of the cerivx work??? Have you had success without that??? thanks ahead for any info....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Re: Keep the cervix or not- that is the question

Hello toothfairync......I kept my cervix and it was caulterized...I still have mini-periods....it's not like a period at all. One day a month I will see pink on the toilet paper when I wipe...I don't have to wear a pad...I do wear a mini-pads...but I don't need to. I didn't want to have to deal with a vaginal cuff...all of my surgery was done in my tummy...nothing was done in my vagina. I went into surgery bleeding...came out not a drop...no discharge nothing. I was able to have sex at 4 weeks. I can tell you only what it is like for me....others have had different experiances.....some no bleeding at all...others have had to have more surgery to have theirs removed. I wish we had a crystal ball so you could tell what you would do. I have absolutely no regrets in keeping my cervix. I didn't start having my mini-periods until about 3 months after my surgery when my ovaries start waking up. Do your research and make the best choice for you. Good luck to you...I hope I've helped.
Unread 06-19-2009, 06:18 AM

i kept my cervix and dont have mini periods. my cervix was cauterized during surgery but that wasnt a guarantee that i wouldnt get them (i didnt care if i did..i just wanted the monthly hemorraging to stop). i did lots of reading and felt like keeping my cervix was the best thing for me. theres lots of reports that say it helps with future pelvic support but most of all, i didnt want a vaginal cuff. do lots of googling and try to read as much as you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Hi Toothfairync,

I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and in my case...I have not had any mini-periods in post-op. I am still very glad I decided to keep my cervix.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 06-19-2009, 05:31 PM

I had cervical cancer. So they took the cervix and my uterus. So, I didn't have a choice to keep my cervix.
Unread 06-28-2009, 03:33 PM

I had a SAH on June 5th due to a huge ovarian cyst (I kept the other ovary) and a huge fibroid (which ended up being two large fibroids that he couldn't see before the surgery (one was hidden for the sonograms).

The reason the doctor "let me" keep my cervix was this: I am a lesbian and have been in a monogamous relationship for 15 years. What has that to do with the cervix?

A heterosexual woman can get HPV from men. It's pretty much a no-brainer to me and I am sure I would have had mine removed were I straight. But I didn't want any of the potential issues that come with the loss of the cervix, and due to my low to non-existent risk for HPV/cervical cancer thought it smart to keep my cervix.

I just lost a niece to cervical cancer. The risk outweighs the potentially annoying issues that could come later, imo.
Unread 06-29-2009, 07:58 AM

I have had mini periods from the get go -- like clockwork. There is some thought that leaving the cervix helps the pelvic floor stay intact. I'm almost through menopause and will be after my BSO next week, so the mini's will definitely stop.

Good luck with your surgery and decisions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register