Well, here I go... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Well, here I go... Well, here I go...

Unread 03-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Well, here I go...

I was originally supposed to have my TAH in May, but the doctor & I decided that I need to just go forward. So....I am going in just 9 days. wow! Have things to get ready that I *thought* I had two months to prepare--no biggy, tho.

I've been on Lupron for just over a month, I took a 3-month dose. But it has me bleeding worse than ever [in fourth week now], and fibroids haven't shown any shrinkage. That's the reasons for the schedule change. I am so glad. Until we made this decision Friday, the lack of a "light at the end of the tunnel" really had me at the end of my rope.

I am sure glad for the information I have been able to get from this site. I've been visiting here since November when I first found out I had large fibroids. I also had to undergo a colposcopy & biopsy and then a LEEP biopsy for severe dysplasia. I was also diagnosed with anemia, of course. I had waited through 2+ years of extreme menstrual cycles before seeing my doctor. I have felt so sick & tired of being sick & tired. I'm nervous about the surgery, of course [never been hospitalized except for 2 childbirths], but I am glad to know that it will be behind me within a couple months.

~~Cari~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2004, 01:49 AM
Well, here I go...

Best wishes SunflowerSpice! I hope everything goes well for you.

I understand your nerves, because I too was a wreck by the time the "night before" came. I just prayed that God would give me peace and He did! May He do the same for you....

Take care of yourself, drink plenty, and rest! Oh, and when the nurses decide you can eat something, do so. I had a roomie that wouldn't eat her strained soup or anything for that matter, because she didn't have an appetite. I ate because I figured I'd get things moving faster. Well, we both had surgery on Monday, I had my IV out on Tues., left on Wed. My roomie got her IV out right before I left, but she was staying extra days! She also had to take Milk of Magnesia, and was waiting for a suppository when I left. I felt sorry for her, but the nurses were telling her it was due to not eating her broth, etc. Sooooo, eat!!!! Drink! and I hope you do well.....

God Bless you and your surgeons...
Lori
Unread 03-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Well, here I go...

Hi Cari
We have the same surgery date. There are some goo aspects of having such a close surgery date in terms of anxiety. You just won't have as much time to worry! I had a very bad case of the flu last week (I never get sick) that had me right in bed for two days straight. That is absolutely unheard of for me, in fact people were calling the house to make sure I was still alive! I was a dishrag for about two more days, so it REALLY put me behind interms of getting things done around the house. I am lucky enough to have two contracts in negotiation (Real Estate), but that takes a lot of my time also, so this last week I have a load of stuff to accomplish, and maybe that it a good thing. The clock seems to have stopped since I got my surgery date, and I bet this week will go much faster. I wish you all the best this week. I am trying to remain focused on the "after" surgery and feeling better. The nerves sneak in every few hours though, and have to be calmed. PM me anythime you want, we'll get each other through it! Do you know the time for your surgery? I won't know until pre-op the day before. I have uro-dynamic testing done Friday and it will take until Monday to get a game plan for what they want to do with my bladder and urethra. I don't know if it's good or bad that I won't know all that stuff until the day before.
Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Good advice...

I like your advice, Lori, on being sure I do what I should at the castle. That's quite a difference you shared between you and your roommate. I hope I do great. I am comforted knowing that there will multitudes praying for me while I am in surgery and while I heal--our own church prayer chain, as well as that of both my & my hubby's parents' prayer chains. What an awesome thing! I am also blessed that my hubby's department already approved his taking two weeks off to look after me. Some of his fellow deputies will also be praying for me. Soooooooo, I can just lay back and relax, right? I am working on that.

I don't yet know the time of my surgery, Leslie. Like you, I have my pre-op the day before. This was all very last minute so we are still awaiting insurance approval. I'll be seeing my Dr Monday morning, then heading to the hospital for blood type/screening. All this while only drinking juices. Joy, huh? :P

I am writing up a fairly long list of questions for my doc for Monday. Guess I'll be seeing the anesthesiologist that day, too. A lot of things I won't know till then. But that's okay. God's overseeing all of it, so nothing's to worry! Of course, I still *try* a little worrying now and then.

God bless,
Cari
Unread 03-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Well, here I go...

Hi Cari,
One thing that was of a great help to me, was taking items off my list of questions that I really did not want to wait until pre-op and put at call in to my doc.'s nurse and asked that she call me back at her leisure. The first thing that totally impressed me was a call back with five minutes! She was great in taking care of a lot of the little nagging questions that I had and took alot of time with me, stressing the importance to call back with anything that I would have spent time "worrying about". I knew that the day before surgery my anxiety level would be quite high, and even with a concise list, I would be apt to miss something important. Now on Monday, I have a more managable list of questions to ask, and several less things to be filled with angst about! It's great to hear off all the folks praying for you, you will literally feel their presence as you are going through your toughest times, and that will be a great comfort. All the very best to you! Leslie
Unread 03-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Well, here I go...

Good idea for narrowing down the questions. I do have a great nurse at my Dr office who always returns my calls and takes as much time as necessary to be sure I've got all my questions answered--this has been a bit of a long haul with some bumps in the road that required a few calls along the way.

Right now I am praying I won't catch a cold that my youngest son is just starting to get. Hate the thought of delaying this at all--let alone being sick when I get home to heal!

~~Cari~~

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register