Last period and a need for pain relief | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last period and a need for pain relief Last period and a need for pain relief

Unread 12-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Last period and a need for pain relief

I started my period this morning, instead of next week like I should have. Why oh why couldn't my body be on schedule for once? My pain is terrible and the only thing I've taken for it is Motrin, but because it's so close to my surgery date, which is less than a week away, I can't take the Motrin. One of my nurse friends gave me Percogesic (sp?), but that's not doing much for the pain. She said it wouldn't make me drowsy, but I feel like a limp dishrag. Any suggestions? For those of you who were blessed with your final period before surgery, how did you handle the pain? What did you take?
Thanks,
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2003, 11:50 AM

Hi, sorry you are havinga painful period. I had cramps before my surgery as well. I took Tylenol for it and it helped take the edge off somewhat and a heating pad will help sometimes.

Be sure to check with your dr if taking Tylenol is okay for you. He may also suggest how much to take for your particular pain, maybe perscription strength.

I hope you feel better.

s
Unread 12-20-2003, 11:57 AM

Lisa,

I'm sorry you're spending your few remaining pre-castle days in pain, but look at the bright side...it's the last time Aunt Flo will upset your life! My final Aunt Flo started this morning, and I'm ready to kiss her bye-bye!

Why not call the doctor's office, tell them you can't take your usual pain medication, and ask them for an alternative? The pharmacist at your local store might have a suggestion, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2003, 06:06 PM

I had my last period last week and it had to be the only one in about 2 years that was normal! Almost made me change my mind about surgery! NOT!! Lol....

There is something called Therma Care Patches and they work really well if you stick the adhesive side to your undies! My doctor had me use them when we were trying to get my last incision to drain and they worked really well. I have used them ever since.

Also, check with your doc, he may choose to prescibe you Tylenol 3 or something like that. Never hurts to try!
Unread 12-21-2003, 08:19 AM

Hi Lisa

Auntie Flo hit me real hard last month...I don't know why, but Tylenol made me sick (tummy ache). DH bought me some Alleve (sp?) and that seemed to work real well for me. I had to take 2 every 8 hours, but it dulled the pain.

I've only been free of AF for 6 days and she's starting to rear her head :hair: again so I know I'll be a flowin' on my castle date. YUCK!!

midnyte_blonde thanks for mentioning the therma care patches, I would have never thought of that.

s and take care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register