operation tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

operation tomorrow operation tomorrow

Unread 06-07-2004, 02:36 PM
operation tomorrow

hi i have my hist tomorrow and am a bit scared a bought it . Its a total they are taking every thing . Is there any special things that i might need to take with me to hospetal tomorrow morning ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2004, 03:01 PM
operation tomorrow

s to you Ladybug!! Sending you tons of positive thoughts and prayers for a safe, successful surgery and a smooth, speedy recovery!
Unread 06-07-2004, 03:03 PM
operation tomorrow

Just from the things I have read on here........lip balm is one of the necessary things that some don't think of. And ear plugs if you are not in a private room.

My surgery is tomorrow also and I am really nervous but am handling it ok.

Lots of prayers are being said daily for everyone going through this from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM
operation tomorrow

Hi LadybugQueen!

You have to come to the right place! Hystersisters is wonderful. The ladies here will give you great comfort and support.

Use the "search this forum" box at the forum start page and type in the word packing. You will get lots & lots of posts about that. We talk about that often here.

After a few sisters read this posts, they will start giving you some suggestions. Here's a few: slippers, robe, shampoo & condtioner, hairbrush, ponytail holders and/or barrettes, chapstick, lotion, deodorant, gum/mints, a favorite pillow(s), notepad and pen, socks, and something(s) that is a comfort to you....such as a stuffed animal, photos, a favorite knic-knac, anything like that.
Some have suggested hand sanitizer, a magazine, crossword puzzle book.....the list can be endless!!!!!!! LOL

Hope I could be some help! Sending you cyber s!

liw, Trina
Unread 06-07-2004, 03:12 PM
operation tomorrow

Good luck to you dear

Try not to worry. Soon you will be a

I packed light and had all I needed. I even forgot my brush and the nurse gave me a comb. They even had toothbrush and paste, etc if I needed it.

I wore the hospital gowns and they were perfect. No laundry for me. I didn't wear underwear at all there.

Deoderant, lip balm, and a hair tie.

I you can relax, have an easy surgery, and a speedy recovery.

woodsie
Unread 06-07-2004, 03:21 PM
operation tomorrow

The one thing that I brought with me to surgery was a willingness to share. I usually keep my feelings boxed up and the best thing I did was share with the nurses how scared I was and how the decision to have the surgery was still a question in my mind. The nurses were WONDERFUL.....several had personal experiences they shared. Also, they worked really hard to make me extra comfortable. It really helped. Prayers to you.
Unread 06-07-2004, 03:28 PM
operation tomorrow

I had my surgery on Friday and I too was very scared. One thing that I found kinda funny is that I was terrified right up to the day of surgery and then when I went in I felt very calm and collected. I shared my feelings with the people at the hospital too and that seemed to help. Definately take some lip balm, I was dying without it over the weekend, I think they dry out because of the oxygen they give you before and after surgery. Hang in there and stay positive and you will be just fine, then you can take some time to hobble around and relax a bit.
Unread 06-07-2004, 05:10 PM
operation tomorrow

I think I have become the unofficial Ambassador of Lip Balm and Hand Sanitizer when people ask what to pack.

Lip balm will help a TON when you first wake up but make sure it's not petroleum based. Also, either gum, mints or the little mouthwash strips for when you can sit up more to get your saliva going.

Hand sanitizer is very handy while you're still on the catheter because that way you don't have to have a lot of help to the bathroom when all you want is clean hands. in addition to that, some have suggested wet wipes of some form, for cleaning your face because that and a hairbrush can help you feel human again until you get a chance to shower.

also, don't forget to take a written list of anyone that you want to call from the hospital (relatives, close friends?) and a prepaid calling card if any are long distance. I knew I wanted to talk to family, but couuld NOT remember their numbers right away, which felt a little silly because I've had those numbers memorized for years.

Also, if you can't sleep tonight, try reading a couple of the journals here - mine for one has lots of info about the hospital stay (nothing terrible, i promise) but knowing what to expect can help calm your nerves.

mostly know that you have found a community of caring, understanding and well-humored women who will pray for you, cry with you about things that disappoint you, laugh with you about things that amuse you, rejoice with you when you get to a milestone (just watch how happy we all are when someone has a BM!!), and most of all extend our hand of friendship across these electronic lines.

Best wishes for a complication-free surgery and a comfy recovery. We'll look forward to reading your postings when you're feeling up to being at a computer again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register