Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts

Unread 05-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Re: Should I be doing this at 57/second thoughts

I am so sorry to hear you had to reschedule your surgery Veenus, I really hope you feel better soon and there is nothing in your way for the next date.

Wish y'all the best, positive thoughts and hugs from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM

Hi Ellagal

I am wacking the heck out of the weeds in my garden and getting really dirty doing such. I figure it helps to burn up the nervous energy and I figure I won't be doing much for a while. The only "regret" I have is not doing this in the winter months because I have a huge garden that is just now coming into its own. Maybe I can hire a kid who wants to make a little money to weed it.

I am pretty active so this is going to be the hardest on me to sit still and not do anything strenuous. I am the first on the list next Thursday at 6 am and we live about an hour away from the hospital. So I figure I'll be up all night cleaning cause I know that I won't sleep.

This week also, doing healthy things for myself...drinking lots of water, eating clean, and staying away from those who harbor negative energy. Surprisingly Aunt Flo, which came with a vengeance on Friday (I went through a box of ultra tampons in two days) has stopped. However, I know better...the fibroids or the polyps on my cervix probably have blocked me up, and she is just waiting till I am wearing no protection to come back.

I am ready though, maybe its just my imagination but my lower back has be hurting, and my uterus is hard as a rock. So I know that it is TIME for this to happen. Ready or not here I come
Unread 05-24-2011, 03:03 PM

jadegrrl, today I gave the little dog a bath and grooming. They have their vet appointment next week and I have been slacking off on my buddies. I am trying to wrap a few things up at work (I can do a lot at home) get the dogs to the vet and make shopping lists for my H. I am making a memory garden for my very dear friend who passed away but our weather is humid, cloudy and damp so the mosquitos are out causing me to stay in. I want to get it finished before I head to surgery but our weather doesn't want to give us any sunshine soon. My belly too is hard as a rock. By the end of the day I have to unbutton my pants. Starts off with pressure up high then seems to shift to my lower belly by the end of the day. Sometimes I think there is an alien in there. Can't wait for this to leave my body I can't stand this pressure and bloating. I take all ideas on keeping my mind occupied except for house cleaning. Don't know why but I am so avoiding it yet I watch the dust bunnies floating around and I am disgusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2011, 03:31 PM

Hi ladies in waiting
I am 8 weeks po op and I can tell you i have felt the EXACT same things you did. i chronic obcession with the thought of surgery, the should I? should'nt I? Am i too old for this? (I am 50). The worry is so terrible for me it was worse than the event. It is a big deal and those who dont understand should be blatantly ignored! They will only bring discomfort to your mind. My surgery took over 3 1/2 hrs unexpectedly and when I woke up all I felt was relief. It went well and the pain meds work like a charm. Dont be afraid to use them. The recovery seems long but only because I am not so patient--another plus from this Ilearned--patience with myself. Find someone in your support group (family, friends, etc) that will support you and help you along after--even if it is only moral support. Those who love you will rise to the occasion and accept their help. Prepare to rest, rest , rest. it will be all you want to do for a bit so prepare and do it. Most women dont take the time to slow down and rest--this is your chance--you will want it. Now that all is siad and done for me the only thing I can say is--WHY DIDNT I DO IT SOONER? I can not belive how happy and pain free i am. It is only after realizing what it feels like to feel good do I realize how crappy I felt before. I feel 20 yrs younger, more energy, healthy, and never again will I have to plan my life around my period or miss an event due to pain. It is worth it! and the "relations" with my DH--well....20 years younger there too!
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Jewel901 thank you so much for your wonderful words of encouragement
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM

jewel901, Great words to hear! I so want this over with. I just got my period.... seems like they are coming 2 weeks apart now. I knew it as soon as I HAD to have chocolate at the same time my back started killing me and my breasts got sore. It is amazing to me how my body has to give me at least one more punch before we go and have it permanently taken care of. I am terrified I will start bleeding like I did last time and have to go back to the doc. I don't want to see another doctor until it is time for surgery. All I know is I have to stay healthy. I just can't handle the anemia again. Do I start to sound like I am panicing? I am.
Unread 05-24-2011, 06:59 PM

Well, I will be the lone voice on the other side of this issue. I am 56 and had a large fibroid-size of a grapefruit. They said it could be a leiyomasarcoma and could not know until they went in. I had a hysterectomy on April 21. My only advice is DO NOT underestimate the effect of a hysterectomy. You can get complications and the recovery time is long. 6-8 weeks before you sort of like your old self, and maybe 6 months to a year before you can resume all your normal activities. I for one regret my decision, wish I had waited to see with imaging whether the fibroid grew and am very angry that my very active, healthy lifestyle will be a long ways away for me. The time out from work was a huge burden! No swimming for 2 months. It is major surgery. Weigh your options carefully.
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM

Hi Ellagal,

Please don't panic! You are in the home stretch!

My period came the week before my surgery, after being "on hiatus" for 6 months (what menopause?). It helped reinforce that I was making the right decision with chosing to have a hysterectomy.

Is there anyway to beat the anemia before it happens? With supplements or iron rich foods? I went through the anemia too, but it doesn't sound like mine was as bad as yours so I'm sorry if my questions are senseless.

Hang in there, June 6 is coming!
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM

Well, I will be the lone voice on the other side of this issue. I am 56 and had a large fibroid-size of a grapefruit. They said it could be a leiyomasarcoma and could not know until they went in. I had a hysterectomy on April 21. My only advice is DO NOT underestimate the effect of a hysterectomy. The time out from work was a huge burden! It is major surgery. Weigh your options carefully.

Two Cent,
I know that you regret your decision, but I would have done the same thing, faced with such a large fibroid. Also, who knows what else could have been growing in the future?
Having a hysterectomy is tough, and I would not have done it if I didn't think that it was the best decision for me.
I guess that if I had all of these abnormal biopsies and other polyps, what else could be there? Tough to tell. My doctor called it "rolling the dice." Unfortunately for me, they found another small tumor on one of my ovaries....thank goodness I had already given him permission to remove my ovaries.

I wasn't sure about those, as I knew that they were more than useful for my hormones. My friends at my bunco group talked me into considering taking them out because I am older and I am having a hysterectomy anyway. Apparently, several of them had hysterectomies and later had to have a second surgery to remove the ovaries.

Everyone is different, and you are right, be careful.
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:55 PM

ShatziLKF, I am just scared. I know what happened last time. I think I should have gone to the ER back then. By the time I got my wits together it had been going on for 2 weeks and it was starting to take a very slight turn for the better. Then I saw the Gyno. I think if I keep doing what I am doing by drinking orange juice with very rich iron foods it may help. I have started to take Advil as I heard it can help slow it down. I just won't know until 2 or 3 days. This has been so screwy and unpredictable. Just like you it reinforces my decision. Having heavy periods every 2 weeks is not living.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register