real close to backing out - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

real close to backing out real close to backing out

Unread 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Re: real close to backing out

I had those same feelings. I had huge fibroids, above my navel also. I peed every few minutes. Didn't even like going places because I'd have to peed within a couple of minutes after getting in the vehicle, peeing in every store bathroom in the mall....etc. I looked 7 months preggo. My period pain was controlled by bc pills and I hadn't had a period in over 9 months prior to my surgery. BUT, the rapidly growing fibroids and distended belly had to be stopped. Mine grew from a 12 week size to about 7 month size within 2 months!

I had never had children or even been in the hospital so I was scared to death about everything.

I couldn't cope with it any longer & knew I had to have this done. I wish I had done it 10 years ago.

I wasn't bound to the couch or bed for weeks. I was able to get a shower, fix myself something to eat, dress myself, etc, the day I came home.

Now, don't get me wrong, it hurt, it was uncomfortable but I wasn't bed ridden by no means. I took things slow, lol, I couldn't get in a hurry anyway. I only had to take 5 percocet after coming home and I was suppose to take them every 4 hours. piff, I dealt with the pain. It was pretty painful but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't handle it. My husband never stayed home with me for one day after I came home either. I told him not to.

As for nausea post op. I remember waking up in my room and felt nauseous. I whispered to my husband I felt sick, he got the nurse and I woke up about 4 hours later. *shrugs*
I was on morphine, then demerol, tramadol?, then percocet pills.............all within a 24 hour period. I wasn't feeling too much pain while in the hospital. I felt pain but it was well controlled.

I'm over 8 months post op and feel so much better. It took about 5 good months to be completely pain free/not sore but it wasn't debilitating. It was a very good reminder that I had surgery and needed to take it easy. Looking back now, I was pretty miserable post op BUT IT WAS WORTH IT.

Everyone's recovery/experience is different though.

It will be ok.

You do what you feel is best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2012, 12:11 PM

I've had two surgeries: the first was the regular, cut-at-the-bikini-line, operation; and the second was a DaVinci. For both, I felt the pain was quite manageable, especially now with having so many better meds available. I was stressed out before both surgeries, but now wonder why, because it wasn't near as big of a deal as I made it out to be. I agree with what was said earlier about talking with your doctor, or maybe there's a nurse at the office that can answer all your questions or help alleviate the stress. I asked LOTS of questions-especially the "what if" ones-before mine, and that certainly helped. HUGS!!!
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM

I, too, was nervous because I had never had any surgeries, broken bones, stitches, children--no "hospital" experience. I made sure to keep busy preparing my home and life for post-op life and thinking about how much better life would be on the other side. My doctor told me that I would feel like a new person without having to suffer through anemia, heavy periods, etc.
Although only 12 days post-op from a TAH, I feel great. The pain was very manageable and the nausea minimal. I was up and walking 5 hours after surgery and able to wean myself off of the pain meds within a week.
Talk to your doctor and continue to ask questions until you are satisfied.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2012, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadeb1990 View Post
fI really really wish I was in horrific pain right now...then I would be welcoming surgery. But it is really hard to go from feeling good, to placingyourself in a position where you are getting major surgery.

I know how this is! Even more than you, I was pain-free before my total hysterectomy. I was fit and active, had never had surgery in all my 62 years.
I had what seemed a large uterine growth, not a fibroid, picked up on an ultrasound by chance. Even a CT scan made it look like a growth.Turned out to be a large ovarian cyst kind of behind the uterus, much to the surgeon's surprise! Still, I had everything removed - cervix, uterus, tubes, ovaries.
So - major surgery. The surgery was a breeze - not the scary thing I expected right up until I had it. The surgical team will take your fears away - just tell them you are freaking out!
Yes, there is some pain afterwards, and a fair bit of restriction in what you can do, but not as bad as you think!
I was walking around the ward the next day or so, and at home I kept reasonably active as well as resting a lot. I live on my own, and managed OK with some help here and there. Cooked my own meals, though I had prepared a lot of food.
You won't regret getting this done afterwards, in the long term. I feel like the person I was pre-op. - totally pain-free, and fit again. You need to be patient with yourself to recover properly, but you can do it, if I can! If, as you say, you have no options, then just go for it, get it behind you. It's not half as bad as you fear!!!
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:48 AM

dwadeb1990
have you researched other pain control options? What about getting an epidural mixed with "light sleep". I'm getting a TAH with tummy tuck so i can't get the epidural, but I've chosen the on-Q pain ball and tramadol as pain relief as well as the nausea patch. I think it helps if you research different options and see if your dr is willing to try them. If you choose and it works that is some control you'll have. Also you can set up your recovery room to make sure you're most comfortable, you can rent a hospital bed (usually around $100-$200 mth) and set up a table or chair for easy exit of your bed and put snacks/easy access items on it. Those are many things you can have control over. If your Dr believes this is the best option please remember he's the Dr and knows best, but there are some things you can at least have control over. It can also help to think of your fibroids as being parasites, it's taking your blood suply and growing against your will, it might help you to come to terms with going under knowing your removing something that needs to go. Good luck, i go under 5/10 and i'm looking forward to it, for me the tummy tuck has made it a woooohooo let's do it kinda thing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register