Surgical consult 4/10: multiple fibroids - leaning towards hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical consult 4/10: multiple fibroids - leaning towards hysterectomy Surgical consult 4/10: multiple fibroids - leaning towards hysterectomy

Unread 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM
Surgical consult 4/10: multiple fibroids - leaning towards hysterectomy

Hi, I'm new to the site and have been looking around a bit for tips and info. I'm scheduled for a surgical consult with my gyn on 4/10. I saw the np on 2/21 as I couldn't see the dr. The np said I'd have to consider hysterectomy now or later as my fibroids have multiplied and grown.

Here's my history (sorry if it ends up too long, I'll try to keep it short): Periods started when I was 15, heavy bleeding and cysts. I was put on bc at 16-17 to control the bleeding & cysts. Not exactly fun to wear 2 thick pads at the same time while in high school. Horrible. Was on bc pills until my early 20's, took a 2 year break until I was married. Pain returned, endo suspected but surgery revealed nothing. Later diagnosed with vestibulitis/vulvodynia. Had pain (painful periods, painful sex, pain period), chronic yeast infections for 2-3 years until I changed my diet some. Still on bc pills. Took another break from the pills for 1-1/2 yrs in which the excessive bleeding returned with severe pain. Diagnosed with 2 small intramural fibroids about 6 years ago maybe. My pain was so severe I couldn't get out of bed. I had to crawl to the bathroom. Changed the type of bc pill and it worked until recently. (Side note: I've also had a tubal preg with emergency surgery - right tube tied off, scar tissue found and probably in left tube also, and a miscarriage 2 yrs later, no children, ) In Feb. this year, I woke up out of a sound sleep from severe pain on the left side - mid cycle, not on my period. I'd been having minor cramps between periods but nothing like this.

US showed 5-6 fibroids, most are intramural in the top of my uterus with one pedunculated on the left side. They are growing in size as well as multiplying. My largest one is about 8 cm, maybe a little larger with the rest being 5-6cm in size. I also have fluid in there from the inflammation.

It's that week for me and I'm having pain today. Hate this. Normally the bc pills control it but not anymore apparently.

I'm taking a list of questions for my gyn to answer but honestly, I keep leaning toward having the surgery. I've had issues my entire adult life and to be honest I'm just tired of it. I know there are long term side effects and those are what I'm most concerned about: weight gain, hair loss, and sex drive. I have always had a better sex drive and felt emotionally better off the bc pill so I keep thinking if I get rid of this mess, maybe I'll really feel better.

I'll keep looking around the site but if anyone has any specific advice or thoughts, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM
Re: Surgical consult 4/10: multiple fibroids - leaning towards hysterectomy

Hi Kat lady 72, I can't see on your profile how old you are but if it helps at all,I had a tah\bso oi Dec because of bleeding and pain with a fibroid of 8cm that was growing.I'm 57 and feel great now.No pain and getting back to my life again.
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:45 PM

I'm 41 currently, 42 in May. The np thought if I do the surgery, it will be scheduled in May. Happy birthday to me! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Dear katlady:

Here is a link to the fibroids section of our Resources directory: CLICK HERE.

Kudos to you for making a list of questions. I hope you will be able to find the right treatment soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Katlady72, I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Your story is very close to mine. Overnight the last 6 years the fibroids were multiplying like rabbits! I had three larger ones, one medium one, several small ones and then they stopped counting the new ones. Year over year they kept growing. The three larger ones were causing now other complications. Bladder and bowel issues. Bleeding and clots, all that many of us have. I had tried the BC but it left me feeling ill.

I had my sugery at the beginning of the year. It I was not an easy decision to make. Nor was it an easy surgery. The pain was not the hardest for me as the pain was not any worse than the issues with the fibroids. It was the fatigue for me. Now felling like I have the worse behind, the heaviness is gone from my belly. I still have twinges here and there, but nothing that needs medication. I'm exercising again and beginning to regain a part of my life I had not had for a long time. I wish you well in the days ahead as you try to find the solution that is the best for you. I will keep you in my prayers. Good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register