healthy habits to start now before hysterectomy in July | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

healthy habits to start now before hysterectomy in July healthy habits to start now before hysterectomy in July

Unread 05-19-2016, 09:25 AM
healthy habits to start now before hysterectomy in July

I've included my introduction, because, well, I'm new and I hope to meet some new folks here. But, my actual question is below that.

Quote:
Hi sisters!

I'm Kelsey. I'm 32, married, kidless (by choice), and servant to two feline overlords.

I scheduled my da vinci hyst this morning.

I'm nervous--in some ways--and I am having a hard time articulating all of the reasons why. It's very strange to mourn the loss of something you never wanted in the first place.

I'm going to poke around and see if I can find some threads from other women who didn't want kids in the first place, but who are still feeling a little weird at the idea of their lady bits being removed.

It's interesting how much pressure we place on these little organs to define our womanhood when clearly these body parts don't really define us.

I hope this forum brings me some comfort, and hopefully some friends too.

Nice to meet you all!

So, I've got about a month... how useful would it to have a 30-ish day pre-game of regular walking/eliptical and great diet? dietary supplements? pro-biotics?

What are some healthy habits you'd recommend starting now that could really make a difference in my recovery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Re: healthy habits to start now before surgery

Hi Kelsey,

I'm scheduled for July 6, so a few days after you. I'm 38.
Currently, I'm walking/running as much as I can and taking a probiotic and vitamin. I'm trying to get into the best physical shape that I can because I believe it will help me with the healing process. I'm going to try incorporating some light weights into my quick at home workouts. I work full time and have two active kids so I do mini workouts when I can. I've also been trying to eat a healthy diet and cut down on empty calories. I have to really work on my water intake too. I'm terrible at getting enough. I don't drink juice or soda though. I like coffee/tea and the carbonated waters.

I think it's really smart to prepare now since there is time. Some women have emergencies where they don't even get the chance. Good for you for being proactive!

I also have been working hard on my spiritual life as well. I have a tendency to worry and with the surgery being pretty far out, it gives me more time to over think. So, I pray a lot on my walks and rely on God's strength and peace during this time and basically all the time. I have no reason to worry and daily remind myself of that.
Unread 05-19-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ck92 View Post

Hi Kelsey,

I'm scheduled for July 6, so a few days after you. I'm 38.
Currently, I'm walking/running as much as I can and taking a probiotic and vitamin.
I have endo, so working out can be super painful--I'm going to have to forgive myself for not being able to run my face off.

Do you love your probiotic? Would you recommend it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2016, 11:56 AM
healthy habits to start now before hysterectomy in July

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsnotchels View Post
I have endo, so working out can be super painful--I'm going to have to forgive myself for not being able to run my face off.

Do you love your probiotic? Would you recommend it?
I don't really love my probiotic that much... It's a store brand with cranberry added to it. Just using it up until it's finished.
Unread 05-19-2016, 12:54 PM

Hi Kelsey, I too am kid less and have two fur babies. I'm about 16 years older then you. I actually am glad I'm rid of my uterus since I had a 13 cm fibroid that weighed 3 pounds. It was causing alot of issues. First time all year I feel like I got my life back! Yes get as healthy before surgery. You will heal quicker! I also take a good probiotic. Good luck with your upcoming surgery. This is an awesome site. Lots of information!
Unread 05-19-2016, 01:08 PM

Hi Kelsey - I too take probiotics and a multivitamin. W itch regards to exercise Any shape you can get into prior to surgery is good. I did walking, elliptical and strength training. You will use your arms a lot, so any strength training for your arms is good. Squats might be good if you can fit that in, since you will not really want to bend after surgery. You don't need weights to do it either.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.
Unread 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM

Hi kelsnotchels -

Make sure you get any OTC meds, vitamins, herbs, teas, pro-biotics, etc. approved by your doctor before you start taking them. Some of these can thin your blood, or have other adverse side effects of which you are not aware. Here is an article that may provide information:
Medications, Vitamins, and Supplements before Hysterectomy

Exercise is always good, however, no matter what. And you will be doing lots of walking after your hysterectomy as this helps you heal.

Unread 05-19-2016, 08:40 PM

I found a really good probiotic drink at the healthfoods store. It's Kombucha (not sure about the spelling). There are a ton of different types and flavors. You can also get Kefir or fermented saurkraut (cabbage); in the refrigerated section as well.

My stomach is very sensitive and the pearls, the flora something or another with the sunshine on it and a couple of others have all made me feel less than great, but the food based seem to be good for me

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register