What are you wearing????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are you wearing????? What are you wearing?????

Unread 12-31-2005, 08:50 PM
What are you wearing?????

Okay, silly questions here...what do you wear during the operation? Hospital nighty? can you leave a sports bra on? How about when you wake up? I understand I may be so out of it I won't care, but I do know that for me healing comes if I dress/prepare myself for the day somewhat. I assume putting on a bra, clean tank, your own underwear, jammy bottoms happens after the IV and catheter is removed...when does that typically happen? Next day? Sorry if this seems trivial.....a book I'm reading reccomends visualising positive recovery and apparently to visualise I get stuck on the details......DORK! lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2005, 08:57 PM

I wore a hospital gown with nothing underneath for the sugury and the night after. The next am after iv and cath were removed I put on my own gown. I would advise a gown b/c it's easier to go to the bathroom and everyone still has to check you often. No panties though. Next am took shower and put on pajamas. Hope this helps....
Unread 12-31-2005, 09:04 PM
No, you're not a DORK!

I'm not sure what type of surgery you're having. I had a TAH/BSO and was in a hospital gown the first 24 hours which was something I visualized along with the use of the pump for pain medicine. However, my main focus was on getting up and walking. So as soon as the I could the next day, I washed my face and changed to my own gown...lay back down and rested...then walked to the door of my room with DH's assistance. I stayed in a gown for about a 10 days and then wore sweat pants for several weeks.

Take care of yourself. Remember walk, water and rest. All three are equally important in your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2005, 09:06 PM

I took 2 night shirts. I wore a jogging suit down and back. Seems to work ok for me. Oh, I also took along a robe that was handy too.
Unread 12-31-2005, 10:31 PM

I'm a surgical tech and all of our patients wear hospital gowns to th OR it is easy to get access to the surgical site. My surgery was on a monday on tuesday morning after my cath was out I got up to pee then I showered. I put on my own panties a silk gown and robe, I brought three sets to wear. I got out of that hospital gown as soon as I could wasn't walking down the hall in that.
Unread 12-31-2005, 11:12 PM

The nurses at the hospital I use are very sensitive about our modesty concerns... I was given the option of wearing TWO hospital gowns, one open in front and one open in back, to assuage my fears of indecent exposure while maintaining their ease of access. That strategy worked really well for me. I brought one of my own gowns with me to change into afterwards, but I never did because I was bleeding so much... I decided to let them deal with the 'laundry problem' rather than having to bring it home with me

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-01-2006, 12:00 AM

No question is too trivial when it concerns you enough to ask.... I walked in to the hospital wearing my own garments, but was instructed to change into a hospital gown w/o undergarments as soon as I was checked in. As soon as I got to my room after surgery and managed to get up and about, I changed immediately into my own PJs for comfort.
Unread 01-01-2006, 03:32 PM

Preop was given 2 gowns one with back open and the other front open and gripper socks to keep my toesies warm. Post op I found myself in a different robe than when I went in. It was actually quite comfy and wrapped around so not to be open anywhere. I wore this for a few days in the hospital because it was roomier than the one I brought. Finally changed into my own gown 2nd to last day. I also had my own robe and slippers for my all-day/night walks in the hallway. Wore sweat pants home (with the belly wrap thing they gave me).
Unread 01-01-2006, 03:43 PM
Stay Comfy!

FBX, I know just how ya feel! I like to know EVERYTHING about what is going to happen!

When I arrived at the castle, I was told to take everything off and was given two lovely hospital gowns, one to open in the back and one to open in the front over the first one to act as a robe. I was given fashionable one size fits all slippers.

After answering zillions of questions with the nurse, I was taken to a pre-op area where I removed the "robe" and was placed in a hospital bed and covered with a sheet and blanket. There, I was given a shot to calm me.

Wheeled to holding area and into OR with gown, slippers , sheet and blanket. Slippers were removed while I was still awake in the OR and surgical stockings were put on. That's all I remember until waking in the recovery room.

Had the gown and surgical stockings on in the recovery room and plenty of blankets! Stayed that way for the trip to my room and until next morning when they removed the IV and catheter.

Once that was done, I was able to put on panties and my own nightshirt. I decided to take a long, button down the front nightshirt to make it easy to get on and off. I also had a comfy fleece robe with me for my walks around the floor.

Went home in sweatpants and sweatshirt.

When not working, my shoes of choice are comfy moccasins and that is what I wore in the hospital and for the trip home.

Good luck with your surgery!

s

Judy
Unread 01-01-2006, 03:51 PM

Hi!
I wore a sweatsuit to the hospital and then changed into a jonny with nothing underneath. Next morning the catheter came out so I was able to put on my softy sweats again to get up and walk.
All the Best,
Laurie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register