Upcoming hysterectomy: Worried about recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Worried about recovery time Upcoming hysterectomy: Worried about recovery time

Unread 02-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Worried about recovery time

So I'm 31 and in school full time, plus working, and raising three kids solo. I scheduled my lap/hysterectomy (on a Wednesday, their surgery day) so that I'd only miss one day of class and have all of Spring Break to recuperate. But now the doctor will be out of town that day and I'm being pushed to the following week. That puts me back in class 6 days post-op. I'm soo nervous about how I'm going to handle all this by myself. I will have help with the kids through the weekend, but after that they're back to school and I'm back to doing everything by myself. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it all with so little recovery time. Anyone else in a similar position, or been through this? How long before one feels ready to take on regular duties?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Re: Worried about recovery time

To be honest, no, your revised surgery date probably does not put you back in class six days post-op. It puts you talking to the instructor about the fact that you're going to have to miss a couple/few weeks of class and would like to make arrangements to get notes for missed lectures and make up for lost time.

This is major surgery, even if you have it done laparoscopically, and recovery typically takes anywhere from four to eight weeks. Even expecting to be back at work or studies at two weeks is fairly optimistic.

Also, both your doctor and your insurance company may place restrictions as to when you can start driving again. Certainly you have to be off narcotic pain killers. For some people, that's a matter of days. For others it's a matter of weeks. You won't know until you get there.

If your kids are school-age, that also means they're old enough to help around the house, perhaps to get simple meals, maybe even do some laundry. Be ready to let some standards go. Soup and sandwiches for supper are fine, and dust-bunnies are not fatal.

Returning to work depends a lot on what kind of work you do. Expect to need at least three weeks out even for a desk job.
Unread 02-09-2016, 07:42 PM

I would suggest you to talk to your instructors and your adviser now, before your surgery, so they could develop a personal plan for you. Many things are done online these days, so probably you can get some materials/lectures online, or even have one of the tests online.

I know they do it in many community colleges these days, but I am not sure about universities and 4-year colleges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2016, 07:47 PM

Hi aerisaugust to HysterSisters -

What you are planning is probably not doable, given your schedule and commitments. (((SurprisedInNB) is correct. This is MAJOR SURGERY. You are having an important organ removed from your body. No matter how they enter tummy, you have lots of internal healing to do. You need to think in terms of weeks and not days for recovery. You will not be ready to go back to class or work for several weeks.

You will need help with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc. You will be VERY TIRED. You will have lifting restrictions (10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common).

You probably need to push off your surgery until you can have enough time off so that you have time to recover. Summer break? And then, is there someone else that can help you? Neighbors? Friends? You would be surprised at how many will want to help you, once you tell them what is going on.

Unread 02-09-2016, 10:42 PM

Hello,

Everyone is different. I have been very blessed. I am 19 days post op and I feel great. I am lucky to work from home but I've been driving since 4 days post op since I wasn't taking any narcotics and my body felt up to it. But again, we all heal differently, for you it could take weeks or days. The main thing is to listen to your body and definitely don't over do it and no lifting!! Make sure to stay regular, that will really help. Good luck sister!!
Unread 02-10-2016, 05:20 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Worried about recovery time

That puts you in a very tough position to be expected to be back in class six days post op.

You need to give your body a chance to heal and with young children that is going to make things a little tougher.

Many instructors know how to deal with students who need a medical leave.

Instead of actually attending class, maybe ther is an option to ask for assignments ahead of time so you can work on that during Spring break to give yourself another week.

It's better to have a backup plan than to be disappointed and feeling lost if you can't return to school six days post op.

Let's hope your instructors will work with you so you can recover longer.

Keep us updated on how you're doing. We are here to support each other. You are not alone.

Wishing you all the best! 😁
Unread 02-10-2016, 05:25 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Worried about recovery time

A lot depends on how old your kids are. I had an extremely easy recovery and could do all unrestricted activities from the day after surgery. I fended for myself very well, was up, out and about. I was allowed to drive at one week as I didn't take narcotics. But I didn't have anyone else to worry about. If your children are small and can't do things for themselves, it may be more challenging, on the other hand, if they are old enough to take on some household responsibilities, they could be a big help to you. Check with your dr to see what your restrictions will be and for how long. That can help you decide. You may be able to go to class at one week post op, but you may not, it just depends on how you heal, but best to plan for the worst case scenario so that you will be prepared.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register