Permanent restrictions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Permanent restrictions? Permanent restrictions?

Unread 06-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Permanent restrictions?

I have heard from some people that they had permanent weight restrictions after having a hysterectomy and cystocele repairs. Is this normal? I know there is restrictions for a few weeks put eventually these restrictions are removed, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Re: Permanent restrictions?

Hysterectomy restrictions are temporary, yes. Mine were lifted at 5 wks. I thought pelvic floor repair restrictions lasted longer but beyond that I can't say I know for sure. My friends aren't restricted, that I know, after their repairs.
Unread 06-04-2010, 10:26 PM

It really varies with the individual and what they had done. I have a lifetime lifting restriction -- my doctor told me to refrain from lifting over 25 pounds if I want my repairs to have the best chance of lasting.

You'll want to talk with your doctor about whether or not you will have longer-term restrictions.

Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2010, 10:38 PM

My doctor was aware I had small children and had to lift etc on them and can't be as "careful" as most so he actually did some extra work to make sure my bladder and rectum are well supported, I know he used a sling but he did something else too, I can't remember exactly what though. Anywho there are 6 screws in my pelvic bone vs the normal 2 and he told me that I needed to lift with my knees as much as possible and avoid lifting more than a milk jug for the first 6 weeks. I do have added pain in my pelvic area from the extras he did but hoepfully its worth it. As for perm restrictions, I don't think that happens often if at all anymore.
Unread 06-04-2010, 11:42 PM

My doc told me 3 months of not lifting over 15-20 pounds.
Unread 06-04-2010, 11:50 PM

I just had my LAVH on June 1st. My doctor said not to lift anything heavy at all for the first 2 weeks - not even a gallon of milk or juice. This also includes no housework and no pushing anything heavy, either (like a vaccuum).

Nothing more than 10 pounds for at least 6 weeks. And she told me to some degree it is helpful not to lift anything heavy for up to 6 months.

She told me the weight restrictions are there to help make sure you don't damage or rip out any of the internal stitches. And she said it will take a while for the soft tissues inside to fully heal and settle into their new positions.

I'm not sure about whether the cystocele would add to the weight restrictions or not, because I don't have any personal experience with that.

I would encourage you to add this to a list of questions to take with you, to ask your doctor. I took a written list with me, to make sure I didn't forget anything. I'm sure your doctor will help you determine what the right approach is for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register