Post surgery worries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post surgery worries Post surgery worries

Unread 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Post surgery worries

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions. I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on March 7th. I've read a lot on what to expect and what I've read has unsettled me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Re: Post surgery worries

What have you read that is unsettling? Maybe I can offer up my own experience to alleviate some of your concerns. I am 4 weeks post-op total hysterectomy today. I had the robotic procedure. I am age 39.
Unread 02-08-2012, 10:05 PM

Hello! Welcome. I had a da Vinci hysterectomy removing cervix, ovaries, and tubes. I am 16 weeks post op tomorrow. I'm on hormone replacement as well. This surgery has changed my life. I'm healthy and happy and very blessed. This site was and still is a God send. I'm sorry you've found some things unsettling. Please tell us how we can support you. I can think of ten sisters off the top of my head who have reached out to me when I needed a hug or smile or nudge. We've never met but share so much. I hope you will come and chat with us. I'm unsettled that you are unsettled. I am age 46.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM

I'm so sorry that you read something that has made you feel unsettled. I'm sure you were already nervous about your upcoming surgery. One thing to keep in mind is that when you read things on the Post-op forum it does seem scary to someone who is not in recovery. There are a lot of things going on during recovery and women usually only post because they are experiencing a problem of some kind and need support.

There are success stories out there...in fact, I would say the majority of us are success stories. I had my surgery in May 2011 and I have never felt better. Recovery was a long process, but I made it through it and I'm a completely new woman!!

Can you give us some specifics on what made you feel so unsettled? Maybe if we knew exactly what was worrying you we could offer you some comfort and put your mind at ease.

I'm glad you found us. This is an amazing site and it will help you throughout this journey.

to you.
Unread 02-09-2012, 04:44 PM

yes post your concerns for sure. i was a wreck a week ago, then i found this wonderful place where i can voice my concerns and get advice from sisters who have already gone. as well as the feeling that i am not alone in my fears with the sisters that are going "with" me.
Unread 02-09-2012, 04:56 PM

Honey all of us had unsettling fears before surgery, I know I was the poster girl for it! I had a Total Abdominal, including ovaries 11 days ago due to cancer. I had fears of dying on the table, the anesthesia, the pain after, surgical menopause, you name it I feared it and already had myself gone and buried!

My surgery was a BREEZE, everything was textbook. I am 34, and have been put on HRT yes even with the cancer history, and I don't feel any different than before. Healing up nicely and just had my staples out today.

As the other ladies have said if you have a specific fear do post it so we can provide you with information and comfort.

Hang in there chicky!
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Thank you for the reassuring words. Sorry to hear that at such a young age you had to endure this, but am happy that you are doing well. Hope your recovery and healing process continues to be smooth and quick. You have a wonderful attitude, I believe that a huge part of the healing has to do with attitude. You sound strong and positive, God Bless that.

I am 48, I'm having the surgery because of a fibroid in my uterus and tremendous pain before and during my period. I have to medicate myself to the point that the medication takes me out of commission or I just deal with the pain.

I do have all the fears that you mentioned, going under and not coming out of anesthesia, and not being me afterwards. My doctors OB/GYN and Primary tell me I'll be fine but they are men. I needed a womans perspective.
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Reading some of these stories can be unsettling BUT that is the stories of others and do not assume their stories will be yours. We all have our own stories and I believe MOST of them have happy endings.

My story has a FANTASTIC ending thus far. I am almost 14 weeks post op and my surgery and recovery have been AMAZING. I had a laporscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy and didn't even require pain medication other than the day of the surgery.

Your in the right place so please post your concerns and let us soothe the road for you. We are ALL sisters here!
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:46 AM

I also had LAVH a few weeks ago and never was in pain and needed meds after surgery. There only were and still are some sensitivity disorders like the gas, being more tired than before or my hurting back, because I can't do my excercises for a while.
But that's nothing against the pain and the massive bleeding before.
I wish you all the best and a successful and speedy recovery. And do not forget to pamper the princess!
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM

I'm glad I found you too!!! What unsettled me was reading that once I don't have my ovaries if I don't get hormone therapy (which they link to a higher risk of cancer) I will experience depression, that my body will be thrust into menopause and I will have an unbalance in my body. There is history of breast cancer in my family. My maternal grandmother died from it, and I have to maternal aunts that also have it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register