Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 26-May 02,2021 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 26-May 02,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 26-May 02,2021

Unread 04-26-2021, 04:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 26-May 02,2021

If your hysterectomy was between Apr 26-May 02,2021 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your hysterectomy recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns instead of including the question in your update! There is information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here? or you can use this link: Post a New Topic in the Post-Op forum.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

We hope you are recovering well with plenty of rest and water and a bit of walking. Don't forget to pamper the princess!

How to use the Recovery Progress Reports thread:

• 1. This thread is for the purpose of sharing updates on your recovery as you heal from your hysterectomy.

• 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress and to share encouragement with your surgery week Sisters.

• 3. Remember to start a new thread on the Post-Op message board to ask your questions.

• 4. The Progress Report threads now begin in our special forum for all Hysterectomy Recovery Reports and will remain there for you to always find your discussion.
  • 5. Remember all the love and support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of women helping women!
  • 6. You can also share support and experiences with post-op members in all phases of recovery in the Post-Op Hysterectomy Support forum by replying on the new threads they create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2021, 08:14 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Apr 26-May 02,2021

Dear sisters,
Welcome to your recovery thread on the other side!

Please make yourselves at home, this is a safe environment to share the recovery journey with other ladies who had surgery the same week. Together, we will support each other, sharing experiences, concerns and questions.

As your Sunshine Sister, I’m just a little ways ahead of you on the recovery journey. I will check in throughout the day to help answer questions, share articles packed with sound advise, offer suggestions and support.

On to the healing - Your main priority now. Having just underwent major surgery, even if you only have minimal external incisions to show for it, requires rest, rest and more rest. Drinking water, drinking lots of water and drinking even more water (can’t stress enough the importance of staying well hydrated, and flushing out the anesthesia metabolites). If you aren’t sleeping or drinking water, try to get up and walk around a bit each hour, even if it’s just a trip to the bathroom at first.

Stay on top of your pain medicine. It’s helpful to write down a schedule. Being ahead is much easier than trying to catch up.

Some of the first things you may notice or find concern with include:

• Frequent urination
•Sleep pattens and positions
•Gas and bloating
•Constipation
•Appetite
•New or strong emotions including sadness and anxiety

These are all normal aspects of recovery. Even so, always listen to your body. Do not hesitate to call your doctor with any medical concerns you have.

We are here to support each other, but It’s very important not to compare your recovery to your fellow sisters. Though we are on the same road, our experiences will be unique. Normal recovery is a spectrum, vastly differing from one sister to the next.

I’m so grateful for the support I received here both pre and post op, that I’ve decided to stick around and give back to the best of my abilities.

Unread 04-27-2021, 12:58 AM

Hi all,
Surgery was this morning, laparoscopic TVH (ovaries, cervix, too). Am home resting (no overnights unless complications arose due to pandemic).
Tender belly, shoulder & upper back feel ok now, but anticipating pain tmrw.
Drinking lots of water & prune juice, staying on top of meds, put my first estrogen patch on today.
Appreciate this group & opportunities to post here.
-S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2021, 06:07 AM

Hi All,

The surgery was yesterday morning. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy completed with one ovary and tube still intact.

I will be in the hospital until Wednesday. Most of yesterday after the surgery was a daze. I felt very fatigued and lethargic for most of the afternoon, which had me dozing in and out of sleep. My pain has been well managed with pain meds. Yesterday night I didn’t get much sleep due to staff being in and out of the room and feeling uncomfortable sleeping on my back.

However, this morning I feel a lot better. I was able to get up and use the bathroom, wash my body, and take a short walk around the unit before 6 am. I still feel very sore, but not a lot of on-site pain. I will have my first meal this morning, but I must note that I do not have an appetite at all.

I hope that today shows more continued progress in my healing, so I can be cleared to go home tomorrow.

All the best to you all pre and post opp- we are part of a particular club!!
Unread 04-27-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swistercia View Post
Hi all,
Surgery was this morning, laparoscopic TVH (ovaries, cervix, too). Am home resting (no overnights unless complications arose due to pandemic).
Tender belly, shoulder & upper back feel ok now, but anticipating pain tmrw.
Drinking lots of water & prune juice, staying on top of meds, put my first estrogen patch on today.

Sounds like you are doing pretty good! Rest is best for the time being. Glad to hear your pain medications are keeping you comfortable.

This site is packed with information for all aspects of recovery. Here’s a quick article if you are looking for reading material

Surprising Facts About Estrogen

Gentle Hugs
Unread 04-27-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyro07 View Post
Hi All,

The surgery was yesterday morning. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy completed with one ovary and tube still intact.

I will be in the hospital until Wednesday. Most of yesterday after the surgery was a daze. I felt very fatigued and lethargic for most of the afternoon, which had me dozing in and out of sleep. My pain has been well managed with pain meds. Yesterday night I didn’t get much sleep due to staff being in and out of the room and feeling uncomfortable sleeping on my back.

However, this morning I feel a lot better. I was able to get up and use the bathroom, wash my body, and take a short walk around the unit before 6 am. I still feel very sore, but not a lot of on-site pain. I will have my first meal this morning, but I must note that I do not have an appetite at all.

I hope that today shows more continued progress in my healing, so I can be cleared to go home tomorrow.

All the best to you all pre and post opp- we are part of a particular club!!

Glad you are feeling better, it’s safe to expect improvement each day!

Lack of appetite is totally normal after surgery. To keep your strength up the first few days, try small portions of bland, easy to swallow foods. Choices like bananas, fiber rich cereals, and soups with vegetables in broth, will help with bowel movements when your digestive track resumes activity in a few days.
I nibbled on dry Cheerios, and was able to take in small teacups of chicken soup with carrots, one bite of chicken, one bite of carrot.

Remember to drink lots of water to help flush out the anesthesia and aid recovery.

Gentle Hugs
Unread 04-28-2021, 08:50 AM

I had my surgery yesterday. TLH keeping both ovaries. Was home by 2pm. The shoulder pain from the gas was no joke, had some bleeding and some burning when I urinated (luckily that went away after a couple hours). I’m only taking otc medicine for pain but staying on top of it by setting a timer on my phone however yesterday there was quite a bit of pain so sleeping was difficult. Today the main pain is my stomach muscles. I hope everyone is recovering well and am so thankful for this site and all the helpful hints for getting up and with the shoulder pain! It had helped make the recovery more manageable.

-Celeste
Unread 04-28-2021, 12:10 PM

I hope everyone is experiencing a smooth recovery, focusing on The Importance of Rest after Hysterectomy.

Some of you may be wondering about Gas and Constipation after Surgery or Avoiding Constipatipation After Surgery. Digestive concerns were the make or break deal of the day the first couple weeks for me. Lots of water, high fiber fruit, walking and increased magnesium intake helped, along with limiting refined carbohydrates and dairy in my case. Your doctor may recommend stool softeners if you are taking regular doses of prescription pain medicine. Unless explicitly directed by your doctor, its best to avoid laxatives as they can be too stimulating to our disrupted digestive tracts. Along with constipation can be digestive tract gas, also causing discomfort. You may be experiencing a lack of appetite or bloating. Small portions of bland, non-gas producing choices like bananas, pineapple, fresh berries,smoothies, broth soups, and lean protein such as eggs, fish or chicken. Steering clear of beans, the cabbage family and carbonated beverages for a few days is another good idea.

Aside from intestinal gas, laparoscopic surgery can result in trapped gas that wasn't completely expelled. CO2 Gas Relief Tipscan offer some relief. I drank a whole box of peppermint tea the first five days. Ginger was also useful. Every swallow had to be HOT to be effective. Since I felt so bloated, every cup had to be reheated a few times since it took so long to get down a whole mug.
Heat (from hot tea and strategically placed heating pad at shoulder/rib area) and movement helped. The importance of Walking after Hysterectomy can't go without mention.

Here is some more information on:

Showering after Surgery

Incision Care

Tips for Better Sleep After Hysterectomy

HRT after Hysterectomy and Oophorectomy

Take it easy, sleep as much as you can, when you can, take advantage of any desire to nap. Let your family and friends take care of you. Your group is here if you have any questions or just need a fellow sister to lean on.

Unread 04-28-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestehelene View Post
I had my surgery yesterday. TLH keeping both ovaries. Was home by 2pm. The shoulder pain from the gas was no joke, had some bleeding and some burning when I urinated (luckily that went away after a couple hours). I’m only taking otc medicine for pain but staying on top of it by setting a timer on my phone however yesterday there was quite a bit of pain so sleeping was difficult. Today the main pain is my stomach muscles. I hope everyone is recovering well and am so thankful for this site and all the helpful hints for getting up and with the shoulder pain! It had helped make the recovery more manageable.

-Celeste
celestehelene glad you found us,

Good to hear you are home and doing well. Sleep is important, if you are having pain not well controlled by OTC choices, now isn't the time time to be a warrior. If your body is coping with pain, it's diverting attention from healing. Please don't suffer needlessly.
Unread 04-28-2021, 04:06 PM

I had my LAVH Monday and came home yesterday. I slept all day yesterday waking up only to go to the bathroom and take pain meds. The doctor gave me Tylenol Advil and lortab but I’ve been to scared to take any narcotics because I’m afraid of being constipated. When I bare down to try and use the bathroom I bleed more. I’m really tired and feel like I’ve been run over by a truck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register