Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 17-May 23,2021 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 17-May 23,2021 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 17-May 23,2021

Unread 05-17-2021, 04:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 17-May 23,2021

If your hysterectomy was between May 17-May 23,2021 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your hysterectomy recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns instead of including the question in your update! There is information on how to start a new thread in this link: New Here? or you can use this link: Post a New Topic in the Post-Op forum.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

We hope you are recovering well with plenty of rest and water and a bit of walking. Don't forget to pamper the princess!

How to use the Recovery Progress Reports thread:

• 1. This thread is for the purpose of sharing updates on your recovery as you heal from your hysterectomy.

• 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress and to share encouragement with your surgery week Sisters.

• 3. Remember to start a new thread on the Post-Op message board to ask your questions.

• 4. The Progress Report threads now begin in our special forum for all Hysterectomy Recovery Reports and will remain there for you to always find your discussion.
  • 5. Remember all the love and support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Support forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of women helping women!
  • 6. You can also share support and experiences with post-op members in all phases of recovery in the Post-Op Hysterectomy Support forum by replying on the new threads they create.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2021, 05:34 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates May 17-May 23,2021

Welcome to The Other Side, Princesses !

Five years ago, almost to the day, I had my supracervical hysterectomy. Without this site and without my Sisters who had surgery the same week, I would've been clueless about many aspects of healing and recovery.

This is your Recovery Thread, where you’ll be able to share your progress and laugh and cry together as you support one another along the way. I'll be walking alongside you in your recovery journey, sharing my own experiences and pointing you to resources we have here.

Healing is your #1 priority. This was major surgery and healing takes place inside as well as outside. You’re still your doctor’s patient until you’re released, and even then, healing will continue.

Get plenty of rest
Drink plenty of water
Take your meds as directed
Walk as you are able (for now, from your cozy recovery spot to the bathroom or kitchen)

There will be things you cannot and must not do at first , you may experience gas, bowel issues, aches and pains, and your emotions might swing at the drop of a hankie.

And when you’re confused , it’s okay to ask questions, and we welcome you to discuss whatever is on your mind. You are not alone!

For now, rest – and rest well!
Unread 05-19-2021, 06:57 AM
day one at home

Hi
I made it home okay
it was an outpatient surgery

the initial recovery went smoothly although nausea was an issue
they tore the vagina doing a bladder check so a few internal stitches - and man does it burn to pee - but that is getting better too

I saw that heat pads were great for the shoulder so i made one
and would totally recommend heat for the belly and shoulder
just brilliant

I can't believe how weak I feel but I was able to go up and down some stairs so I am not in much pain - but am on a lot of meds ll

thank you all for being here
not sure how coherent I am lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2021, 12:20 PM

IndigoWillow! I'm glad you've already found your Recovery Thread!

You sound coherent to me. I stayed overnight, and it was a good thing I did. I had an anesthesia-induced "Where and when am I?" episode in the wee hours of the morning. I woke up sometime around 12:30am insisting I had to use the bathroom before my surgery. Seriously, I thought I'd not had my surgery yet! Turned out I didn't have to use the bathroom, but they got me out of my room to walk. I asked the nurse who was walking with me "What time is it?" "12:45." "In the day?" even though I could clearly see out the window at the end of the hall. "Uh, no, it's night time." (New staff the following morning; the head nurse asked how I felt and then remarked "We heard you were pretty confused last night." Haha, ya think?!)

[/color]
Unread 05-20-2021, 12:13 AM

Indigo Willow you sound perfectly coherent!

I had LAVH with tube removal on 05/17. I’m in Aus though so technically a day ahead in recovery.

Kept in hospital for 2 nights, discharged yesterday afternoon. Pain has been more manageable than I expected, but today is definitely my worst day - getting out of a bed that isn’t motorised, on and off a lower toilet, and the weaker pain meds mean I’m feeling pretty sorry for myself today.

Very grateful for all of the advice on the forums so far, the bag I took to hospital had items that made my family laugh but were saving graces - peppermint and ginger tea, gas tablets, abdominal binder, cushion for the car and heat packs - things that just wouldn’t have been on my radar otherwise.

No BM yet - I’m on iron supplements plus pain relief means I’m slightly terrified of crossing that bridge...
Unread 05-20-2021, 06:30 AM

Rexaus! I'm glad you've found us in your Recovery Thread!

Try the "log roll" for getting out of bed. Roll on your side to face the edge of the bed. With the hand of your free arm by your shoulder, begin to push yourself up. As the arm under you gets free, you can use that forearm to also push up. Now you can also swing your lower legs over the edge of the bed for momentum. After my recent abdominal surgery two months ago, I found this easier than the motorized hospital bed. I couldn't twist my body to use my hands to push!

If you were on a liquid diet or had bowel prep before surgery, remember that "cleans you out" as well, so it can take 3-7 days to have that first bowel movement. Tweak your diet to include adequate fiber and magnesium to get things moving: dark leafy greens, whole grains, fiber cereal, nuts, seeds, fruits (fresh, dried or frozen in smoothies), prune juice, warm liquids like tea, and enough water-water-water to swamp a canoe. Without the extra water, the body is making rocks but is adding nothing to help it flow. Also, when you sit on the throne, prop your feet up. We're built to squat, and having your knees above your hips aligns the colon for emptying. Walking helps too - it doesn't have to be far or long, but the idea is to get up from the easy chair. A stool softener or osmotic like Miralax can help as well - I think it's either Purelax or Movicol in Australia?

Unread 05-20-2021, 09:18 AM

I hope I am in the right spot for post op. Waiting to get discharged. I cannot wait to be home with my puppies and heat pad. I feel like I lost a baseball bat fight and have been hit by a truck, but by 6 am I had cleaned myself off, put on a t shirt, went for a walk and had coffee. Surgery was much more involved than Dr thought it would be. They took both ovaries and I had severe endometriosis, which would explain the severe pain I was having. The endometriosis was a surprise to even my doctor. I will probably have to start hormones, but if the pain is better I don't care. I do not have actual pain as much as I am so sore and tender. Just glad I have a great support system.
Unread 05-20-2021, 04:51 PM

Jenf1972! I'm glad you've joined in here at your Recovery Thread!

I don't have any personal experience to share on endometriosis, although from posts which I've read from Sisters who've had endo removed, its excision is "extra" as far as your surgery goes and you may find that everything is more inflamed because of having it removed. I invite you to browse our library of Endometriosis Articles to learn more about the condition itself. We also have an Endometriosis Support Forum if you have questions you'd like to ask of Sisters who've BTDT.

Unread 05-21-2021, 04:13 AM

Hi everyone,
Surgery was late yesterday afternoon (May 20), LAVH with both ovaries removed, Required because of menorrhagia, Adenomyosis, fibroids, and unexpected discovery of a couple patches of endometriosis. I have to agree with the other sisters on here, waiting around to go into surgery was the worst part, the anxiety. I pulled my bathrobe around me and tried to nap until they came to take me to the operating theatre. The anaesthetist and nurse were excellent, discussed where I’d like to be on holiday and within seconds I was asleep. Next thing I remember was waking in recovery, not very much pain, more of a dull ache. Was able to sip water almost right away. No nausea either. They had a wonderful layer of warm blankets on me, was very cozy. Shortly after I was on my way to my room on the ward. Tucked into bed, given extra pain meds and I fell asleep for awhile. The catheter was fine except you can’t roll to your side easily. And I had the inflating socks for circulation (they are almost like massage but the noise woke me a couple times)
This is my first full recovery day in hospital, I will be in for three days. Glad to have the support of great staff, especially as visitors aren’t allowed due to Covid.
Breakfast was ok, no nausea, but it caused a small discomfort as the food moved through. Given Buscopan and extra pain killer which helped right away. How easily a person forgets that all these parts are interconnected!
Physio have already stopped by to get me up walking. Catheter and inflating stockings now removed, was able to pee on my own soon after.
Feeling much better than I expected to, a bit emotional but that’s ok, it’s been a big surgery and recovery takes time. I think the emotions and anxieties are to be expected. This is all new to me, one step at a time to get my new body in tip top shape!

Wishing everyone with surgery this week a smooth recovery! Keep in touch.
Unread 05-21-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoWillow View Post
Hi
I made it home okay
it was an outpatient surgery

the initial recovery went smoothly although nausea was an issue
they tore the vagina doing a bladder check so a few internal stitches - and man does it burn to pee - but that is getting better too

I saw that heat pads were great for the shoulder so i made one
and would totally recommend heat for the belly and shoulder
just brilliant

I can't believe how weak I feel but I was able to go up and down some stairs so I am not in much pain - but am on a lot of meds ll

thank you all for being here
not sure how coherent I am lol

Hi ,well done to you. I had my op on Monday , straightforward abdominal hysterectomy . I got home on Tuesday and apart from a lot of trapped wind ,the pain itself is more like a dull ache. Similar to period pains. Paracetamol and ibuprofen and lots of rest are doing the trick so far. Had a shower which really made my day. Keep well, how’s everyone doing? Hope you’re all ok

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register