Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 26-Nov 01,2020 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 26-Nov 01,2020 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 26-Nov 01,2020

Unread 10-28-2020, 09:23 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 26-Nov 01,2020

Welcome to you, Wombless Warrior Women!

PAIN- no need to be in pain. In fact, you shouldn't be in excruciating pain at all ever. Call your doc! He/she needs to know that you are in pain (unless you are not taking your pain meds!).
Anyhow- take your meds on schedule, sweeties, and wean yourselves off narcotics slowly.

UPPER CHEST PHLEGM:
You were all intubated. Thus you are having a bit of phlegm. I hope you were given this little breathing thingy called spirometer. If so, please use it as directed to help you with deep breathing. If not, please see below:
Sit upright. ...you may need to hold a pillow tightly over your incision. ...
Take a few normal breaths, then take a slow, deep breath in.
Gently and slowly breathe out through your mouth....

Vaginal discharge/bleeding
This is completely normal at this point. A general rule of thumb is to not worry unless you fill a pad with blood in an hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2020, 10:15 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Oct 26-Nov 01,2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj9499 View Post
I am one day post op. I got up walked and took a shower. I hate to have to lie down because my back is really sore but if I sit up the pain increases in my abdominal. I wanted to try ice or heat to take care of swelly belly but not sure which way to go.
Glad you’re doing well for the most part, a shower is my goal! Yes the ab soreness with sitting up keeps me in a reclined position mostly. Good question re ice or heat. I have seen others say they used a heating pad for the abs.

Unread 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM

I had my surgery yesterday and it went well. I was supposed to have it done on Friday had IV in waiting for the doctor but she had 4 ladies in labor at 2 different hospitals so I was moved to Tuesday. No pain from the site but my left side and back hurts but it’s more painful to lie on my right side. It feels like my organs are falling to that side. I had the robotic hysterectomy and kept my ovaries. So far recovery is going well. I did have dizziness after surgery so I spent 4 hrs in recovery. When I came home I took a decongestant and in the morning I felt fine. Only occasion pain on urination I think it’s from one of my medications. Called the dr awaiting a response.
Unread 10-28-2020, 04:47 PM

Hi everyone!
Had a robotic assisted total laparoscopic hysterectomy and bilateral salpingectomy yesterday (uterus, cervix, and Fallopian tubes removed). Surgery took 3 hours and I had some adhesions on my intestines and ovaries so my surgeon had to spend some time cutting out the scar tissue. Woke up in the ICU in excruciating pain and just cried the whole time going in and out of consciousness. They ended up giving me the max amount of pain meds they could... I was not in a happy place and all my nurses seemed irritated. Wasn’t the best time honestly.

First full day of recovery right now and I can pee pretty well on my own and had my first fart! I’m scared to death to poop at some point and my nurse said if I don’t poop by Friday I have to call them.. so I hope I can avoid having to do that.

I have a ton of pain on my right side, my nurse said my surgeon used the bigger tool on that side so it got moved around a lot more too. The gas pain going through my abdomen isn’t helping and I have chronic pain in my arms so the air up in my shoulders pulses and hurts a lot. Finally got some soup and fruit in me, I had so much air in my abdomen last night I had to burp so bad and couldn’t so I was extremely nauseous trying to eat. My throat is feeling good after the tube, they used a new method on me than they did last time with my laparoscopy in July because it just tore my throat up so I feel a lot better this time around!!

Walking every few hours in laps around my apartment and then laying back down for a few hours, back and forth. Slept decently last night, my eyes felt stuck shut lol! Taking gasX and Colace stool softener many times a day and had some lovely delicious prune juice lol! Thankfully my hospital offers aromatherapy options so I have these little nasal inhalers in 3 scents, ginger, lavender, and citrus, to help me breathe and with pain. Love those! I got them after my tonsillectomy 4 years ago so hoped I’d get some more this time.

I think the hardest thing for me right now is getting in and out of bed and passing gas and eventually poop. I scared myself getting in bed yesterday thinking I tore the cautery inside cause I stretched my side trying to lay down and panicked because it hurt so bad. Called my nurse today and she set me at ease. Have a wonderful support system taking care of me. Don’t think it’s fully set in yet that my uterus is gone, I think it may take a while. So so blessed this site exists where we can all share and go through this together. You are all amazing women and I hope you have a good recovery, can’t wait to chat with you all more!!
Unread 10-29-2020, 10:26 AM

How is everyone doing??? Today is my 2nd full day of recovery and feels like the hardest yet. It’s hard to be told to stay on top of the pain but don’t take your pain meds bc they’ll constipate you, but also you have to fart and poop in 3 days but don’t push... it’s frustrating and I’m just struggling. I can’t stand without my abdominal binder on at all because I’m so weak and the pain is too strong and feel like I’m just being overwhelmed with pain sometimes. Finally got some large gas bubbles out on the toilet but wow the gas feels terrible when it just bubbles up and moves all around in there. Hoping to pass my first bowel movement in the next day or two but who knows when that’ll show up... I’m terrified for how that’s gonna go. Trying to take small victories but wow this is tough. :/
Unread 10-29-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdisme19 View Post
How is everyone doing??? Today is my 2nd full day of recovery and feels like the hardest yet. It’s hard to be told to stay on top of the pain but don’t take your pain meds bc they’ll constipate you, but also you have to fart and poop in 3 days but don’t push... it’s frustrating and I’m just struggling. I can’t stand without my abdominal binder on at all because I’m so weak and the pain is too strong and feel like I’m just being overwhelmed with pain sometimes. Finally got some large gas bubbles out on the toilet but wow the gas feels terrible when it just bubbles up and moves all around in there. Hoping to pass my first bowel movement in the next day or two but who knows when that’ll show up... I’m terrified for how that’s gonna go. Trying to take small victories but wow this is tough. :/
I'm so sorry that you're having such a tough time. I hope you have a much better 3rd day! Honestly, most sisters don't have too much pain when they poop. Try not to worry about that.
Unread 10-29-2020, 07:28 PM

Hi everyone,

Well it’s the second full day of recovery and just dealing with lots of gas, glad the gas x is helping to move it out. Sticking with soup and Powerade. Slight spotting barely noticeable, so happy the uterus is out. Had the binder on until tonight, just want to let my skin breathe a bit where the small laparoscopic incisions were made. They’re held with surgical glue.

Spoke to my surgeon today and she said I had some bladder prolapse, so I’ll be talking to a doc for that in December. Will pelvic floor exercises help or is sling surgery the most beneficial long term?

So thankful for the support here, good healing wishes to everyone.
Unread 10-30-2020, 08:58 AM

Y'all: you can use pain and swelling as a guide to stop, but the reverse is not true. You can't assume that because you are not suffering immediate ill effects that it's a green light to keep going. You ladies JUST had MAJOR surgery. There are at least 5 ligaments inside that are healing. Trust that you should rest and take it easy.

That stuff on the floor? Either someone else gets it or it stays put. Lifting anything over a gallon of milk? No! Reaching up or down? Probably No! Many of you may not be able to rest on your side yet. No vacuuming/sweeping! Loading the bottom of the dishwasher? Nope! The vibrations from car rides may not be tolerable for a while. And no, you should not be driving yet. Your pelvic floor may not respond well enough to brake emergently.

Now incisions! You have the obvious ones that your doc would have instructed you on. But! The serious ones are those you can’t see. To remove your uterus, they incise inside about 5 times! So, be preventative about increasing that inflammation. Easy does it. Being too harsh and active will start more inflammation and can cause more pain.

Take it easy ladies. Believe me - I know - it is hard to do. If you have any reservations about something - wait! Your positive attitudes are already helping!

Your docs may have told you different advice and I defer to them, of course.

You have only one uterus to get removed - thankfully!

On the housekeeping side of things: Hystersisters community guidelines ask that you are sensitive of the grief that many of us are facing – not having children. Also, please be cognizant when discussing your children or partners that many sisters are going through this recovery markedly alone. Thanks!
Unread 10-30-2020, 08:59 AM

Surgery was yesterday. TVH, bilateral salpingectomy, and cystoscopy. Got to keep both ovaries. Wasn't sure ahead of time as one had a cyst.. Surgery took almost 3 hours. Dr told hubby he had to repair a vaginal tear. Waiting to see Dr today so that I can be released. Had a bit of trouble peeing after they finally removed the catheter. Walked around for a bit and it helped. Say I have to pass gas to go home but nothing so far. Pain hasn't been too bad. More pressure down below than anything. Not much bleeding at this point. Super tired and groggy. Hoping to rest more at home when no one is coming in every hour to check me out.
Unread 10-30-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladreams View Post

Spoke to my surgeon today and she said I had some bladder prolapse, so I’ll be talking to a doc for that in December. Will pelvic floor exercises help or is sling surgery the most beneficial long term?
Sorry, I don't have any insight to offer here. You may find some information with the forums. Search "bladder sling hystersisters"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register