surgery in 12 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery in 12 weeks surgery in 12 weeks

Unread 04-17-2006, 05:21 AM
surgery in 12 weeks

Hi to all. I am posting again on this site after two more years of lapos and pelvic infections and now I finally have a surgery date. I posted last time out of frustration because of the pain from endo and the continuing lapos that just ticked off the endo. Well now I have a surgery date and I am curious about what this is all going to 'feel' like. We are leaving the cervix intact. He has already removed the fallopian tube on the left side previously. So we are taking out the uterus and the left ovary and the right fallopian tube too I think. The right ovary will remain. Oh yeah I am 33 years old with two kids (7 and 3 years old) and extrememly active training for a half ironman triathlon.
So what do I have to look forward to? You gals are the only ones I can ask this too. My pain tollerance compared to other is pretty high. I am a machine it seems. I can teach (I teach group fitness) while at 9 on the pain scale. I do what I have to do I guess.
With the cervix intact will sex still be the same? How about the sex drive? I enjoy (so does my dear husband) a healthy sex drive and am not looking forward to a decrease in that. What about pain? I am thinking that they are taking out what hurts so it won't be as bad as a lapo because there is no lasering in there. So what hurts?
I know this is a lot of questions. I have time and many more questions. I will save them for a later time.
Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2006, 04:24 PM
surgery in 12 weeks

Hi fit2beme,

The first things that come to mind when reading your questions are:

Are you aware that hysterectomy is not necessarily a cure for endometriosis? Or pelvic infections? During these last few years have you gone for a second or third opinion? Perhaps with a reproductive endocrinologist? If not, I urge you to consider this seriously.

Regarding sex: What kind of orgasms do you have? There are really three major areas that can be involved in a woman's orgasm. The uterus, the cervix and the clitoris. Many women enjoy orgasms that involve all of these areas of pleasure, however, there are women who only enjoy clitoral orgasms. Only you know where you gain your pleasure. If you have "deep" orgasms then your uterus is involved and removing it will definitely change your orgasm. If you enjoy pleasure from your cervix, a lot of how it will function after hysterectomy depends on your own nerve centers and your doctors surgical technique. For example, is your doctor trained in the "nerve sparing" technique? (Keep in mind this label is subjective because no one has yet mapped out all the nerve pathways to the female genitalia. However, doctors trained in this technique increase your chances of keeping this pleasure center functional.)

My doctor did not discuss any of this with me. He didn't ask one single question about my sex life, preferred positions, orgasms or anything and I was too naive and scared to ask. I did keep asking him if this would effect my sex life and he kept telling me, "No, it would be better than ever." But now, in hindsight, I can see that was a ridiculous statement for him to make to me since he had no idea what my sex life was like! (It was fantastic.)

The clitoral orgasm can be effected by the hysterectomy if, again, there is an interruption or damage to the nerves that run to your clitoris. Also, clitoral orgasms are largely effected by hormones and if you lose ovarian function, you can lose sensitivity in your clitoris.

Because you are such an athletic woman, have you done any research into the endocrine function of the ovaries in regard to your overall health? They are major contributors to stamina, strength, energy and muscle mass because they also produce these chemicals (hormones). Too many people equate the ovaries with only the feminine hormones but that is not the case. Whether you are male or female, you have gonads- in the males gonads are the testicles, in the females they are the ovaries. The gonads manufacture many, chemicals, AKA hormones, that are used all over the body. One of these areas is the heart. As an athlete, I am sure you are aware of the importance of good cardio-vascular health. Therefore, you should know, before making a final decision, that hysterectomy raises a woman's risk of heart attack and stroke significantly. This is because hysterectomy alone jeopardizes the ovaries (over half of hysterectomized women experience ovarian failure within 2 years) and when the ovaries fail to function as designed it can cause heart problems.

All this might be scaring the heck out of you, but that's not my intention, it's just that you have a lot of questions and I think they are very good ones. I believe that any woman who is asking these kinds of questions, seeking information to make such an important, permanent, life altering decision such as you are faced with, should have as much information as possible to base her decision on.

My suggestion for you would be to put some of that determined, athletic dedication that you put into your sports into some research about your endocrine system and how this surgery will effect your body and impact the things that you love so much.

I see a lot of my pre-op self in your description of yourself and I have a lot of regret about not doing the things I just mentioned. I don't want you to have these same regrets. Please take your time and make sure ALL your questions are answered before you go ahead.

Best wishes,
Unread 04-18-2006, 05:29 AM
been with this all for a long time

I have been dealing with endo for 5 years now. I have had 4 lapos. Each one is showing that the damage is getting more severe. My uterus seems to be colapsing in the pelvis and not free flowing. The pain is intense and usually always there. I have further complications that make this decision make the most sense and that is that I have intense pelvic infections. At least two a year. They put me in the hospital for a week because I cannot fight the infection with oral antibiotics. I have researched this option for at least the past three years. I have been fortunate enough to have a trusting and close and honest relationship with my doctor. He has resisted this wholeheartedly until this past infection that I had. It has been me asking why not a hysterectomy every time and him answering that it isn't time. Until the last one. I have read to exhaustion and am very active in my church and prayed extensively about it with my church elders. I know that this might not cure it. But it seems to me (and my doctor) that my problem seems to stem from an overproduction of estrogen (and the pelvic infections)and it makes sense that with one ovary gone that will subside. We are leaving in some so that it will adhere to that instead of the rest of my organs if it still persists. I am pretty short - my torso is even shorter. Everything is crammed into a small space and that pain that the uterus is giving me is too much - and I am not a whimp. It has taken me a long time to get here.
I appreciate the information about orgasms. I have never experienced an internal one so that will not be missed. But externally i have faith in my doc that he will be careful and not sever anthing I need. But i will be sure to chat with him about that fact.
Thanks again for the information. Do you know of any more fact-ful sites with honest facts about this procedure that you found before or after to be helpful to you?? Other than here of course.
Thanks so much. Have a fitfull day!!
Brandi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-18-2006, 03:08 PM
surgery in 12 weeks

Hi Brandi,

Most of my information now comes from medical journals that I subscribe to like the New England Journal of Medicine, ORGYN daily, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ob.Gyn.News, The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (www.gfmer.ch), Clinical Endocrinology, etc. I also read up on related issues in the AMA, American Medical News, JAMA and Archives journals, PubMed, MEDLINEplus, American College of Cardiology, and whatever else I can get my hands on. Most of them are subscription but some of them you can get for free or access to online.

I really try to stay away from online web sites that might have personal agendas so strongly as to slant their information, not to mention, the information can change so often or the site can disappear overnight. It's hard to discern sometimes. I also recognize that the medical journals and resources can be biased, (Imo, often are) towards the studies sponsor so I try to cross reference them and read the original study or abstract for myself whenever possible.

Having said that, here are a couple of web sites I like that I think have pretty accurate, informative information:

www.alternativesurgery.com (even though it's sponsored by a Dr. I think it's well done)

http://womenshealth.jhmi.edu/gyn/con.../fibroids.html

There are a few books that I really liked and this would be my recommended reading list for women: "Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal and Hormone Replacement" by Elizabeth Plourde; "The Sexy Years" by Suzanne Somers (best for intact women); "YOU The Owner's Manual" by Drs. Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz (everyone should read this book from cover to cover); "The Hysterectomy Hoax" by Dr. Stanley West; "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christine Northrup, M.D.; "Hysterectomy: Before & After" by Winnifred B. Cutler, Ph.D. and "Misinformed Consent" by Lise Cloutier-Steele.

From what you told me, I can tell you have a long history with your doctor and that you trust him, which is very good. However, I still believe that no one should ever have surgery of any kind without a second opinion and would caution you to reconsider that decision. Sometimes when a doctor has formed an opinion and become so familiar with a case, they can forget to look at the case from a fresh perspective. Sometimes, (in all professions, not just medical), the obvious can become overlooked due to too much familiarity. ("Can't see the forest for the trees.") Just today, I read an article in the Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research about a bladder condition (chronic infection involved) that can mimic gynecological disorders. It is very difficult to diagnosis it is believed that most women with this problem end up with gynecological diagnosis such as endometriosis, etc., instead. One of the problems with getting the doctors to properly diagnose this condition is the common failure to step outside of the usual "box" of symptoms these women present.

There are some really experienced, educated sisters here on Hyster Sisters who, I'm sure, will be happy to share information with you also. Have you tried any of the other threads? (Be sure to read in all forums.) Look for sisters who have older surgical dates and check out some of their stories to see if you see anything similiar to yours.

It's good that you are researching and looking into your condition now. You can gather up a wealth of information in 12 weeks!

Good luck to you,
Best wishes,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register