Scheduled TAH Back to Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Back to Work

Have TAH/BSO on a Monday. Plan to be off work 2 weeks and work from home the 3rd week. Am I realistic in thinking I can go back to work the 4th week after surgery?

I have a sedentary job but have to drive about 22 miles each way and walk from the parking lot to my building across the street.

Have no idea what to expect....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Re: Back to Work

I was told by my doctor to plan for 6-8 weeks at home for TAH.
Unread 04-14-2010, 02:30 PM

I had my TAH BSO 4 weeks ago today. I am taking a full 8 weeks off because my 2 part time jobs are more physical. You may find that your drive then walk to your office may take a lot out of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2010, 02:35 PM

Plus I was just thinking that at around week 4 most sisters report a foul discharge that is very pungent and noticable. My doctor said to expect it around week 4 so I am anxiously waiting. Check out "ooh that smell" on the post op board. Apparantly it smells like a combo of cat pee and skunk. Some say it lasts a week or more. Something to consider if you will be around people at work.
Unread 04-14-2010, 02:53 PM

I had hoped I'd be able to go back to work at four weeks but am so glad I decided to take the full six weeks off.

I wasn't feeling terrible but sitting down for too long was hard (sometimes it still is), the fluctuations in my energy levels were very noticeable in week 4 and 5 - feeling tons more energized now.

Maybe if you could work part time that would help. Or at least just let your boss know that you might still have to go home early or something like that.

Unfortunately until you've had the surgery and see how you are healing it's tough to make the call. I wish you the best!
Unread 04-14-2010, 05:39 PM

i cannot see doing that at all! ( granted everyone is different, but a TAH/BSO is MAJOR surgery)

i am very into my work & very type -a .. i was freaking out about being "out" so long - I am so glad I am getting all 6 weeks off! I had a very smooth TAH/BSO and i still couldn't see working from home @ week3 & going in on week 4. ( I'm in week 5 right now.)
I too have a sedentary type desk job, but also drive 22 miles to work & walk from garage to building. There's no way i could have done that that early - partly from discomfort trying to sit up/ be 'active' for that long of a concurrent time period, part from the longer drive and mostly just energy level.

if you do so - please let us know how this goes for you!
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:41 PM

I had a TLH on Feb 18 and returned to work on Monday (7 1/2 weeks). I'm a teaching assistant. It was harder than I expected. I knew I would be very tired, but was surprised by the aches and discomfort. I also worked Tuesday, but took today off. I'm also taking next Wed off, so I'll only be working 2 days at a time for my first 2 weeks back. My commute is only acouple of miles. My advice would be to take as much time off as you can.
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Disy View Post

Have TAH/BSO on a Monday. Plan to be off work 2 weeks and work from home the 3rd week. Am I realistic in thinking I can go back to work the 4th week after surgery?

I have a sedentary job but have to drive about 22 miles each way and walk from the parking lot to my building across the street.

Have no idea what to expect....
i went back to work 2nd week for 4 hours a day but i had someone drive me and had co workers carry my stuff to and from my car and didt start driving till forth week and it was hard, but i think the driving will be the hardest for u. and u will be tierd all the time, the third week i started doing 6 hours and would come home exhausted.. good luck
Unread 04-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Aunt Disy,

It all depends on how you feel. I no had no idea what to expect after my TAH, but I hoped for the best and had alot of desire to recover quickly. I felt good at my 1 week appointment to remove the staples, drove short distances at 1 week and 2 days, then started working from home half days at 2 weeks after my surgery. I then continued working half days from home for 2 weeks, then full days at home for another week and a half before going into the office. Working from home was great - I could go rest whenever I wanted or needed to. Returning to the office was harder because of the long walk into the building, plus I needed to bring my pc with me - I got my wheeled computer case ready before my surgery, so it was waiting for me when I needed it. I stopped using the rolling case today as I felt I did not need it any longer.

Sitting for long periods of time was difficult, so I got up to walk around often. That was easy to do as I was often on telephone meetings and could roam away from my desk with my headset. For me, given that I had no complications at all after surgery, this was a good decision. I thought about the fact that 6 weeks off would have been nice (and necessary if I needed more time to recover), but I would have gone crazy being idle for so long!

Best wishes to you for your surgery and an uneventful recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register