what to expect.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to expect.... what to expect....

Unread 05-14-2005, 01:55 AM
what to expect....

Hi sisters,
I am scheduled for a TAH (only taking ovaries if necessary) on 5/19. Dr. says I will be down for about 2 weeks before I start getting up again.

I have a question though...I have a DD, 7 months old, almost 17 pounds. What can I expect as far as holding her and working with her. Dr. says I can hold/pick her up as soon as I feel like it, no waiting if I dont' want to. He says 17 pounds is not too much.

Sus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2005, 02:40 AM
what to expect....

Hi pianogirl
I had SAH/BSO and in the castle for a week.
Was told when I came out not to lift anything heavier than a kettle for a couple of weeks, no heavy laundry baskets, no hoovering, but plenty of walking. But we seem to take it slower in the UK than our American sisters, my gyn advised me to take 3 months off work, took 10 weeks, boredom set in, but still get tired 4 mths post op.
Needless to say I was doing more than I should, and didn't have any problems apart from a very sore side for a week when I drove the car too early and too far.
Other than that your body tells you if your over doing things, I'm sure lifting your little one will be fine, especially if your gyn has said it should be ok.
Good luck with the surgery,
Conyers
Unread 05-14-2005, 02:55 AM
what to expect....

Hey,

My son was only a month old when I came home from hospital, but he's now 6 months...with the pain I had, I think I would have found it hard to lift him at this age. I found bending over difficult,too. When it came to feeding, I made sure I had lots of cushions to protect my stomach from wayward baby kicks! Could someone stay with you for awhile...allow you to recover properly? Hope it all goes well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-14-2005, 07:10 AM
what to expect....

I had a 20 pound lifting restriction with both the LSH and SAH... the restriction is imposed by the Doc and varies from Doc to Doc... the one thing you do not want to do is bend and lift,or twist ad lift. Both place additional stress on the abdominal muscles (which are very tender!). Also do not try to sit and lift (you are already 'bent').

What will also help is to brace yourself on one side and use the other arm to 'lift'... like a bicep curl... places the strain on the arm and upper back.

Start 'training' her now... make it a game for her.
Unread 05-14-2005, 01:49 PM
what to expect....

You won't want to pick her up often. I had TAH 2-1/2 weeks ago. At one week, my SIL picked up my kids from school and brought them home to me, along with her 4wo son. He is a chunk...already 12 pounds at 4weeks. I picked him up and held him for awhile. I didn't notice it until later, but I was pretty sore that evening. It eased with bedrest. Did the same thing on Mother's Day (although no carrying) and I was fine with him. See if you can make a play area for her on the floor near the sofa during the day and then you can lay on the sofa while she is playing at your feet or something. Always listen to your body....it will tell you when you overdo!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register