What is a vaginal hematoma and does anyone hurt right after eating? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is a vaginal hematoma and does anyone hurt right after eating? What is a vaginal hematoma and does anyone hurt right after eating?

Unread 05-28-2005, 08:18 PM
What is a vaginal hematoma and does anyone hurt right after eating?

I saw a post about this, but I'm not sure what it is. Somewhere in there I read about hurting when you eat. Does this happen if you have one? Everytime I eat a meal, I can't finish it and then my stomach hurts really bad. I've been thinking that my stomach can't hold as much now and that it is probably gas building up. I have been running a fever of 100.8 to 101 since my surgery at night. During the day it is 99. something. I have finished my last antibiotic today and I was hoping it would go away. The reason I was asking this is the doctor who removed my staples said he suspected an infection at the top of the vaginal cuff. He wouldn't do a pelvic until this coming Thursday because of the bruising and tenderness. Is an infection of the vaginal cuff any related to a vaginal hematoma? If so, any advice of what I should do until I go back on Thursday. I'm 10 days out today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 07:55 AM

Hi Cheryl,
I'm sorry you're having these problems. I agree that your stomach pains are probably gas. It amazed me that the surgery played such havoc with the digestive system. Doesn't seem like the food would even have time to move through the system before the pain starts. That will get better over time, so just be patient. I found walking after a meal really helped.

If you're having a fever of 100-101, I would recommend calling your doctor before your Thursday appointment. Although the antibiotics should have taken care of any infection, you obviously have something going on that is causing the fever. Even if your DR doesn't feel the need to see you earlier, he may be able to set your mind to rest about what is causing the fever.
Ashley
Unread 05-29-2005, 09:29 AM
vaginal cuff problems

Hey ChayChay4!

I just saw your post. I was diagnosed with a "vaginal cuff hematoma" this past Friday. Since the doctor who performed my surgery was on vacation this past week, I have been getting passed from doctor to doctor in this particular OB-GYN practice without really being able to find out much.

What I do know is that I have been in EXTREME pain since 2 weeks ago. I thought my initial pain was due to gas too; however, I was never passing any. It just felt like I had an enormous amount of pressure (doubling over) in my stomach and at my rectum, and since I was hopping back and forth with constipation and diarreah, I attributed it to that.

My surgery (TAH) was May 4th and on the day of discharge, I was back in the emergency room that night and was told I too had an infection (cellulitis) for which they prescribed an antibiotic. 1 week into that antibiotic, they switched me to another and it created HUGE stomach problems for me. Since that time, I have hardly been able to eat. One doctor told me I had colitis and to go on all liquid diet for 2 days and then "bland diet". When things didn't get any better, I chose to go to my colon/rectal doctor. Upon a rectal examination, he found A LOT of swelling and immediately sent me to my OB-GYN's office for an ultrasound which showed the hematoma which is the size of a "goose egg". This they say is what is putting all the pressure on my stomach around my bladder and rectum. When I eat, it must make my intestines larger which I guess puts that much more pressure inside.

The OB-GYN doctor I saw Friday says they prefer for their patients to "ride this out" since going in and doing more surgery only creates risks of more problems but that if I can't tolerate the pain and can't start eating, they will not have a choice.

I sure hope you don't have the same problem, but I would definitely contact my doctor's office and let them know about the temperature you are running. I already have had to call them this weekend, but hey that's what they are there for.

I just noticed that you are also from South Carolina. We southern bells have all the luck don't we????????

Just so you will know, I have been able to tolerate in small quantities yogurt, graham crackers, vanilla wafers, saltine crackers, jello, scrambled eggs and VERY SMALL quantities of boiled chicken.

Please let me hear from you to know how you are doing. I am scheduled to return to OB-GYN Tuesday when he gets back in the office from vacation, and I will let you know what I find out. In the meanwhile, I hope you start feeling better.

"Eli"

P.S. Don't feel bad about calling the doctor over this holiday weekend. It's always better to be safe than sorry!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 05-29-2005, 10:19 AM

Eli,

I too had the same experiences. Went to the ER for terrible stomache pains. They did a x-ray and then a CT scan. Would this show up w/ a CT scan?
They said all looked fine. I came home and had a terrible time eating, walking has helped but, it has been a slow process.
I am wondering if I also had this. It has been a little over 3 weeks since and things slowly are getting better. I take zantac, and that has helped alot.
Unread 05-29-2005, 02:52 PM

Hi Hoogie!

My vaginal cuff hematoma was diagnosed by way of a vaginal ultrasound. However, I would think that a CAT scan would show more. It certainly would not hurt ANYTHNG for you to mention this to your doctor if you still are experiencing some problems.

You say the Zantac has worked for you. I will have to ask my doctor about this since eating has become a dreaded chore instead of something to look forward to.

Thanks for your input, and I certainly hope you don't have this problem as well.

Please stay in touch.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register