Quit Hormones-Cold Turkey, going back on hrt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Quit Hormones-Cold Turkey, going back on hrt Quit Hormones-Cold Turkey, going back on hrt

Unread 02-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Quit Hormones-Cold Turkey, going back on hrt

I stopped my compounded troches three weeks ago and now I feel terrible and so sick I feel like I have a disease. I have taken this rx for two years and I always felt it made me tired but it didn't make me feel like I was dying from a blood disease. My rx was a troche (3.25mg. of estriol and 125mg. of progesterone). I didn't discuss it with the doctor before I quit and I don't think she would have approved but I had never really felt good and thought stopping the troche would help me feel better. Boy was I wrong. Also, this is a weird sx but after stopping the troches I started to have this strange itching in my nipples and it has made me more nervous and upset. I plan on starting back on the troches tonight. Any input would be appreciated. I know I have always received good advice on this site.
Thanks,
Trish M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2007, 06:16 PM

April-1980 you had a hysterectomy and you're still on hormones? That's 27 years on hormones when the recommendation is 5 years maximum after a hysterectomy! I was on HRT for two years and now I'm off of all hormone replacement. I'd say do some reading about it and just stop taking everything for a few days! What does your doctor say about it?
Unread 02-22-2007, 07:05 PM

I was on hormones on and off for many years. Back in 1993 they quit making a hormone pill that I'm sure most people aren't aware that they even made it. It was Estrovis 100 mcg. ( one pill a week) and I took it for several years and felt great. After that I really never took anything for any length of time until two years ago when a woman doctor who has her own compounding pharmacy wrote an article in the paper stating that the hormones she prescribed were not as harmful as the stronger Estradiol and that Estriol was what women in Europe had been taking for years. And the main reason I went to her was that back in 1998 I developed a panic disorder and she and two others doctor agreed that it was probably brought on by my hormone imbalance. So, I agreed to take the troches. As I stated I never really felt good but it was 100% than I feel since I stopped the troches several weeks ago. I had blood work back in December 2006 and it didn't show I had any blood abnormalities so I am so confused as why I feel so terrible. And the other reason I took the hormones is after nine years I had such a problem with my bladder and atrophy I had a cytoscope and the doctor said hormones would help the bladder problem. And because most doctors never even suggested that the bladder problem could be related to the hysterectomy I was given many rx for antibiotics that I am now sure I didn't even need. After I became a medical assistant I bought my own chemsticks to check my urine for the same sx that I had when I was always given antibiotics for and not one time did I have a bladder infection.
Trish M.
P.S. I plan on seeing the doctor in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2007, 07:23 PM

Trish. I would suggest thinking about going on something else if the troches aren't helping. Why keep taking something that isn't working. Going cold turkey is, as you know now, a mistake. You might be fine for a while but then you will surely crash. Weaning off slowly would be your best bet. I hope you get some answers from your doctor.

The 5 year recommendation for hormones is very generalized and is more geared toward women in natural menopause and not every doctor is of the opinion that there is some magic cut off date for HRT, especially in surgical menopause. My doctor said I could take them the rest of my life as long as I kept up to date on my health maintence, ie mammograms, etc.
Unread 02-22-2007, 07:40 PM

wow i had no idea there was a cutoff time for hrt. i have so much to learn!! geeeeeze.
Unread 02-22-2007, 07:51 PM

That recommendation of five years was made for women in natural menopause who go on HRT. Some doctors are adamant about it. I have seen several doctors in my quest to find relief in the past 2 + years and none of them have mentioned anything about a 5 year rule. Five years from my hysterectomy I will be 43, with no ovaries, no hormone production. Am I just supposed to decline progressively from there? I don't think so.
Unread 02-22-2007, 08:40 PM

I totally agree with Carolinachick! I am only 34 years old and have been on hormones for 1 1/2 years now. If I were to stop after five years that would be at 38 years old. Eek!

Surgical menopause is much different than natural menopause and we are making barely any and definitely not enough hormones on our own to protect our bodies and help them function optimally. Hormones do much more than stop hot flashes and assist in making babies. There are several good books I have read about the importance of hormones (especially bioidentical) and hrt and the impact they have on our bodies that I would strongly recommend. One is "Screaming To Be Heard...Hormone Connections Women Suspect and Doctors Ignore" by Elizabeth Vliet, M.D. Another is "Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, and Hormone Replacement" by Elizabeth Plourde, C.L.S., M.A. (the latter is geared more for women in surgical menopause...I attended one of her workshops recently and she is VERY knowledgeable about hormones). I have never been told I need to stop taking hrt after five years. That decision should be purely up to me.

April22, I am sorry you feel so awful! I know as miserable as I am trying to find hormonal balance right now with the Vivelle Dot, I remember how much worse I felt on nothing at all! Also, I wonder if maybe stopping the hrts cold turkey was too hard on your body. I have heard it is easier on the body to taper down over a long period of time. Have you ever tried the stronger estradiol in any form? I am not sure what was in the Estrovis? I know when I was on Triest which was 80% estriol I could never get my estrogen levels above the 20s and I had continuous hot flashes and many other symptoms. Adding progesterone made me extremely tired and irritable. I switched to Vivelle Dot after learning I had osteoporosis and although I am still struggling, my levels are better. I do however now have that itching all over and especially around my nipples as well. And my breasts are very tender. Seems I had the itching with too little estrogen as well. I still can't make sense of it all! It really sounds like you need to go back to your doctor and try a different approach. Is he/she open to making changes? I hope you start feeling better soon!
Unread 02-23-2007, 03:32 AM

The five year rule is not meant to be applicable until after the average age of natural menopause, ie around 50-52. Up until then it is believed that you are just replacing hormones you would normally be producing, so no problem to your body. I was on HRT (because of premature ovarian failure at 39) for 12 years up to then without problem and without any medical concern. Once I reached 52, everyone started worrying about getting me off it within 5 years.
Unread 02-23-2007, 08:21 AM

I had a total H 11 years ago. I took HRT premarin for 8 years. Three years ago a young woman in our town had a heart attack, and the ER Dr. told her it was due to HRT. So everyone in my area, including myself, stopped taking their HRT. During the three years I have developed vaginal dryness, that is driving me insane. I have little sex drive. I have heart palpatations. I get a UTI almost everytime I have sex. I am currently taking a low dose antibiotic everynight for the prevention of UTI'S. I also take a low dose Lisinopril 10mg for high blood pressure. I do use vaginal premarin, three times a week. But the vaginal dryness is still pretty bad. I am going to go back on the premarin... I wish I had known all this before my hysterectomy. If I had I would NOT have had one. I am 42 and feel like my sex life is over.
Unread 02-23-2007, 09:29 AM

I just thought I would chime in here. I've been on estrogen since I was 36 y/o and am now 51. My doctors say I can stay on for the rest of my life unless I would develop a problem that dictates otherwise. The WHI study that scared everyone said that 8 more women out of 10,000 would have adverse effects from hormone replacement. And, that was for women on prempro and also there median age (I think) was 63. They also began taking estrogen at a later age in life versus being on since menopause. The estrogen only arm of the study did not see any increase in breast cancer and again only a small increase in other adverse effects. I've worked for a general surgeon for years and his questions were; how many of these women smoked or had other lifestyle or health problems that would contribute to adverse effects. My quality of life would be so affected that I'd probably be on 10 other meds to get me thru the day. I wish I was one of those women who could go off and be just fine but I AM NOT. I worked with a nurse who was 68 and still on 1.25 mg of premarin. Vibrant, active, healthy. My mom is still on premarin and really has no intention of going off. Sorry this is so long. I just wish that we women were not so fearful and I'm including myself. Anyway, I guess that is my rant for today. Best wishes to you all in finding what works best for you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register