first timer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:53 PM
first timer

just got my date today--Feb 4, 2002. I am supposed to have a VH, leaving my ovaries. My mom died from breast cancer and I would like my ovaries to work as long as possible.
I love the info here but everyone I've read seems to have AH with lots of days in hospital. Is that the same for VH?
I intend to print out the list of ?? to ask the doctor. I asked a lot but didn't even realize I needed to ask some of the others.
It has taken me more than 4 years of heavy bleeding and lots of attempts to fix before I would finally agree to do this. I guess I want somebody to tell me it is the right thing. I have never before been anemic in my life but a visit to the emergency room a couple of weeks ago when I wouldn't stop (believe me, it was embarassing enough to think everything is okay and all of sudden bleed through your clothes at the grocery store...) and not having the energy to get up and around has finally convinced me I need to do something. All of my tests say there is nothing wrong. I guess I don't understand that at all.
I'm rambling... Would just like a pat on the head.
Thanks for listening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 10:26 PM
first timer

Hi and welcome! I had a total vaginal hysterectomy in August. I was in the hospital overnight. I don't know if that is the norm or not. It may be 2-3 days max. The first week my DH stayed home with me. I was tired and did alot of sleeping and resting, but took my short walks to the bathroom. As I remember I was kind of out of it the first week. 2nd week my mom was with me for a couple of days. By this time I was walking around the house more, but feeling very stiff. I really did not have lots of pain with this at all...I would say I was more uncomfortable than in pain. Doc said not to lift more than 5 lbs. the first 3 wks. and just slightly more than that the next three. I went back to work at 6 weeks, but was very exhausted so ended up working part time the first couple of weeks back...full time at 8 weeks. By then my energy level was pretty normal except for a couple of days here and there. Initial recovery time is 6-8 weeks, but it takes about 6 weeks for all of the internal stitches to dissolve. No bending, vacuuming, etc. for 6-8 weeks.

If for some reason, you feel uneasy about having a hyst you can always go for a second opinion. But whatever you do we will be with you every step of the way!

Sending s and

Sherry
Unread 12-27-2001, 11:52 PM
WELCOME

Welcome, so nice to know that new ones are joining our family. Well I am 14 weeks post op from having a LAVH/RSO and bladder repair. The LAVH is vaginal but Laproscopic assisted. I totally reccomend the LAVH as the way to go. I had no problems what so ever with the Hyst itself. I was in hospitol a total of 5 days but most of that was due to a very large bladder repair that went with the Hyst. I had no actual bleeding just a slight discharge and all went really well. You still do have heaps of internal stitches so still must rest alot and not overdo things for the first 6 to 8 weeks but all in all I am very glad that I had it done this way. Mate if you know in your heart that you are doing the right thing, then you are. Apart from still a lagging energy level, I am feeling better then ever and gone are those monthly periods, it is wonderful. Good luck hun and keep us posted on how it all goes. Also pop into the chat room if you can to get extra support, would love to see you there. Hugs Vicki
Unread 12-28-2001, 04:35 AM
first timer

Hi alanaj
i had VH, kept ovaries, was in hospital 4 days, was fortunate
in that i had only had the constant bleeding for about 8 months before having hyster 14 wks ago. I just felt more uncomfortable than pain after surgery and just think no more bleeding!
I had no bleeding after surgery, VH is way to go, but gyn did say i might of had to have AH due to uterus being large.
i know you will hear this time and time again but the waiting is the hardest part, specially with you feeling so drained at the moment too, i felt just the same, try to post as many questions as possible and pop into chat, would lov to see you there.
Slept alot the first week, but really felt so great the second week, your internal stitches start healing around 3 wks, so you just have to take it easy and rest and drink plenty...i really do feel like a new women after having hyster and the support from the sisters has been fantastic. Also i felt much better about everything once i had been to my pre op appt where they explained everything to me about the surgery and answered all my questioned i had written down to ask them, but sure you will
get most of your questions answered by the sisters on here as they are all so wonderful
welcome aboard!!
take care, keep posting
Unread 12-28-2001, 04:47 AM
first timer

sorry smilies didnt work that time.

Welcome aboard s
Unread 12-28-2001, 06:22 AM
first timer

I had a VH in August, and went in Monday morning, came out Wednesday by noon hour. I agree, not necessarily pain, but discomfort and heaviness. In fact, I didn't take any prescription pain pills, and only two Excedrin when I got home. Be prepared to rest up for quite a while. I gave myself the whole six weeks of doing very, very little, and am glad I did.
Unread 12-28-2001, 06:38 AM
first timer

Hello alanaj
I had a vh save the ovaries in july and I was one of the lucky ones. I was out of the hospital fast and did not need much advil and by the end of the week I could do half my 3mile walk by
the start of the next week I was walking the full way. I started up my day care that I run after 2 weeks with some help from my older children and most stuff was back to normal. I was careful when I had to lift anything and would rest when I needed it But mostly I was fine. I did not Vacume for 6 weeks and I was sore after the first time and that surprized me because I had been doing so much before that .I just took it easy the next time and I was fine. I had S** after 5 weeks and that was fine too! I'm not trying to brag just tell you that most of the time its for the best , desiding was the hardest part for me but it was worth it and I am thankful every day .I have not been back much to this web site that help me so much but today I desided to see what was happening and the first one I read was yours and your date was on my birthday so I felt I had to reply. Ask the ladies here lots of questions and join in the chatroom the ladies are very helpful and they realy helped me. hugs suzie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register