Cervix removal scheduled - having second thoughts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Separate Surgeries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix removal scheduled - having second thoughts Cervix removal scheduled - having second thoughts

Unread 05-15-2021, 03:36 PM
Cervix removal scheduled - having second thoughts

Hi I had a partial hysterectomy 15 years ago, left only my cervix. In November I noticed clear watery discharge from my vagina. Had a sonagram which showed 2 cysts. One 7 cm and the other 3 cm.
The dr ordered a cat scan to get a clearer photo. I got 2 dr opinions. One said remove cervix the other said let’s wait and watch. I am in no pain, have not had an more leakage since January. I am scheduled to have robotic removal of cervix on May 20th. Outpatient. I am having second thoughts. Has anyone experienced this ? Also why not just do a procedure to drain the cyst? I have cancer breast in my family, Mom. I also do hormone replacement. Thanks in advance. lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2021, 06:53 PM
Re: Cervix removal scheduled - having second thoughts

if you aren't having any symptoms and the cysts aren't malignant i can see why you're having second thoughts. it wouldn't hurt to get another opinion or go back to your dr and ask him why they cant be drained. you can always reschedule the surgery. also, you have LAVH as your type of surgery but vaginal hysterectomies always remove the cervix so you must have had a different kind.
Unread 05-15-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue View Post
if you aren't having any symptoms and the cysts aren't malignant i can see why you're having second thoughts. it wouldn't hurt to get another opinion or go back to your dr and ask him why they cant be drained. you can always reschedule the surgery. also, you have LAVH as your type of surgery but vaginal hysterectomies always remove the cervix so you must have had a different kind.
I had robotic they left the cervix for bladder control. I will ask the dr if they can go a different way. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2021, 04:59 PM

Hi there,
If you're feeling checked about not having your cervix removed I would listen to that. You can always change your mind later if the need arises but once it's removed it can't be reversed.
Unread 05-19-2021, 04:39 AM

Your instincts are there for a reason, and if they're telling you that something is wrong, then I agree that you need to listen to that. When my surgeon told me that he was planning an LAVH for my fibroids, my instincts immediately said no, and my research, which was corroborated by subsequent talks with my family doctor confirmed that this approach was completely wrong for my individual situation, so I was able to successfully push for a supracervical approach. If you are having second thoughts about this, then I suggest postponing the surgery to give you time to do your research and seek out alternative opinions. Best wishes for whatever you decide!
Unread 07-30-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnw61 View Post

I had robotic they left the cervix for bladder control. I will ask the dr if they can go a different way. Thanks
This is why I want to keep my cervix too. Did you ever decide whether to remove yours or not? I'm struggling with this decision too. I'm having messy periods all over again with small clots. One of the OBGYN's I've met with says my cervix looks inflamed and "angry". I'm not sure what to do. Don't really want another surgery, but am sick of all this blood!
Unread 07-30-2021, 09:27 PM

I am leaving it in for now. I’m not having any symptoms so I feel ok with that decision. Best of luck to you.
Unread 07-31-2021, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnw61 View Post
I am leaving it in for now. I’m not having any symptoms so I feel ok with that decision. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for sharing. This is how I've felt too, but figure one more discussion with a new dr and I'll probably put up with the periods.
Unread 07-31-2021, 06:28 AM

Ask about having an ablation. They use heat to remove the buildup of tissue. It sometimes helps the severity of periods. Outpatient actual procedure is about 15 minutes.
Unread 08-01-2021, 02:17 PM

I will mention this to her. Thank you for the suggestion.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register