Anyone Have Regrets About Operation? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Anyone Have Regrets About Operation? Anyone Have Regrets About Operation?

Unread 07-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Anyone Have Regrets About Operation?

I agree with Kyrie. I should have had it done years ago! No more severe depression crying jags, no more stabbing cramps that nearly make me double over, and not one single migraine since my innards were removed!
Rene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2005, 11:37 AM

I am week 2 post-op and I had my SAH/BSO on 7-19. The ultrasound showed what appeared to be a complex mass on my left ovary along with the seven fibroids that I already had. Turned out that the "complex mass" were two SIMPLE masses right next to each other. So, the jury is still out. Hopefully I'll miss all of those heavy periods (they start getting old at age 49) and constant anemia. I have been using Estroven for the hot flashes and it is working so far. My recovery has gone well so far except for the plumbing getting back to normal.
Unread 07-29-2005, 11:40 AM

At this point I have regrets. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and the pain has taken everything out of me. I am not sleeping, don't want to eat, living on pain meds and my belly feels like I've been kicked by a horse 24/7. I am so tired of the pain and not feeling good. I am trying to rest, walk, drink lots of water, etc but nothing helps and I haven't seen improvement for over a week now. I have regrets because I can't deal with the pain anymore and nothing works for pain meds. Hopefully someday this will get better and I will start to feel human. For now I have huge regrets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2005, 12:53 PM

Waiting to feel better is the hardest part. I am the caretaker, not the caretakey, so it was hard for me to do nothing. I regret not having this, or something, done earlier. I complained for years, the last 24 years and was just put on yet another BC pill. It was only after the last biggest dose allowed failed they actually did the right tests. At this point my only choices were to go on this way or have a hyst. I am a nearly six weeks out, not regretting it. No more planning my life around taking a pill and bleeding all the time. No more hoping those all day meetings at work weren't scheduled at that time.

Ask questions and be as forward as you have to be. I know that I wasn't and if I had been years ago I might have had other options and many more years of relief.
Unread 07-29-2005, 01:42 PM

I am almost 4 months post op and in the beginning I did regret the hyst. I was not prepared emotionally for the changes that were to come. I did keep my ovaries so I have not had to deal with hrt. I can now honestly say that it does get better each day, and it is nice not to have to worry about those nasty periods. I can do what I want when I want. Take it easy and pamper yourself all that you can. Wishing everyone the best. Carol
Unread 07-29-2005, 01:45 PM

I have my doubts some days , the times when I have one HF after another and the nights where sleep never comes...BUT I know it all takes time and I cant wait till I am one of the ones who say "Its the best thing I ever did "
Unread 07-29-2005, 02:08 PM

Absolutely no regrets!

Wish I had done it years ago. Life is good!
Unread 07-29-2005, 02:45 PM

Pinklemonade,

I think when we have these big changes in our lives, it is natural to reflect on the choices and the "What ifs". You are still very early in your recovery and the discomfort of that can make you wonder "what did I do to myself...was it worth it?".

I am 4 months post-op and don't think that way anymore, but I did have some of those moments in the first few weeks of recovery. What helped me was to remember accurately what my problems were and how long it had gone on. Reading my pathology report helped, too.

As far as you comparing your bleeding problems with that of other sisters, I don't think it can be an accurate yardstick. Many times it is like comparing apples and oranges. I think that you had some substantial bleeding problems if you had to wear Depends along with a pad during your periods in order to function. Comparing that to prolonged periods and flooding episodes, you may think you didn't have much to complain about--I happen to disagree. What's more important is how did it affect your quality of life and who you are? That was my biggest reason for doing this...my quality of life was suffering and I couldn't be myself because I was constantly worried about when the bleeding/leaking would begin and whether I would be prepared for it.

I am very happy with my decision now. I really don't think I could have had the surgery sooner because I needed the time for research and soul-searching. So now, I have no regrets.

I'm glad you asked this question because so many sisters are probably feeling the same way and you have helped them to express it. Best wishes for a continued smooth recovery,

Maggiemay
Unread 07-29-2005, 02:48 PM

no regrets. My fibroids caused me to get worse and worse bleeding. I can only imagine them getting bigger and bigger. If I did not have my SAH - they might have grown back.
Unread 07-29-2005, 03:06 PM

Good question. I really had no choice; I had fibroids that were causing me to hemorrhage. I had 2 trips to the ER in the week before my LAVH. Obviously, that kind of bleeding just couldn't continue, and I had already had two endometrial ablations. Having said that, I am having issues that I never had before my hysterectomy. I have had 3 UTI's--never had ONE before the LAVH. Sex is...well, pretty good, but still not the same. Bladder feels funky at times. Hormones are definitely an issue but getting better.
BUT...I'm not anemic any more....NO PERIODS...I don't have to plan my life around heavy bleeding....and life is, most of the time, just a little bit calmer because of that.
I guess it's a matter of perspective and the kind of day I am having that would determine how I answer that question. Some days are a big "I'm glad!" and some days are "Well....".

isewquilts
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register