smoking after hysterectomy - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Smoke out!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

smoking after hysterectomy smoking after hysterectomy

Unread 11-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Re: smoking after hysterectomy

I quit after 35 years, 2 months before surgery. I started weaning myself by snapping a portion off every time I had one. The last one had 1 drag on it. It took about 2 weeks. I then started on nicorette lozenges. It has been a year this month. I only smoked 1/2 pack a day. I still crave it once in a while, but when I smell it, it makes me ill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2014, 06:39 PM

I started smoking when I was 20 and smoked for 34 years, what a dreadful habit..... My husband had a heart attack in April of this year (2014) so we both quit immediately with the help of Nico-Derm nicotine patches. My hysterectomy was 3 months later. The thought of a cigarette crosses my mind at times but not often. I have gained a few pounds but those I can work to get rid of - you only get one set of lungs. We want to be around for our daughter and to see grandchildren if she ever decides to marry and have little ones. In the end, quitting smoking and completely changing our lifestyle was the best thing that we ever could have done.

Good luck to everyone who is thinking of quitting, you can do it!
Unread 02-19-2015, 05:22 PM

The day both my pregnancies were confirmed I laid my smokes in the trash. When I miscarried the first one, I felt the most insatiable urge to smoke right there in my hospital room, soon as I got out, I lit up. The second pregnancy, I quit again but as soon as he weaned from the breast, I picked it up again. Now since this surgery (LAVH/BSO), I have a nagging constantly to quit. I tried to put them down cold turkey but the emotional side of me got the best. I have slowed down to the point of just puffing a couple times and put it out. I have now made 1 cigarette last me three days. I am working towards quitting by the end of this month. Prayers for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2015, 07:42 PM

good luck to you. i quit one month after my surgery and have been smoke free almost FOUR years now. Do it on your terms and you will succeed. its ok to want a drag now and then but overall it was worth it. i still get cravings but not nothing like i did before. if you do it the way YOU want to, you will have more success. I know you can, i smoked for 30 years and was able to quit. best wishes.
Unread 06-26-2015, 08:38 AM
smoking after hysterectomy

Hi ladies,
I had smoked for 24 years, ages 16-40. Wow that saddens me to write . I quit with all three pregnancies but had no wish to quit for myself during those times so I started right back up again.
This time I quit for me!! June 11th was my hysterectomy and haven't had a cigarette since. I had tried to quit a few times over the past five years so I was a little scared of the withdrawal symptoms; headaches, constipation, anxiety, agitation ext. Being that I was on pain medication and stool softners I had no headaches and was pooping like a champ. During recovery you sleep a lot so their is no anxiety or agitation either. I found quitting after surgery to be the best time and choice I could have made.
I have just finished week two of nicotine free and truly it feels so freeing and my bank account is smiling as well
Now that I am back to reality and dealing with life a little bit, I am having stress back in my life and the nicotine habits are screaming for relief but I am finding other things to do, short walks, cup of caffeine free coffee on the front porch, ect...things that are good for my recovery and to keep me cancer free for another 40 years!!

My live in boyfriend has quit smoking with me, he is using the patch. It is nice to have no cigarettes around and for him to not smell of cigarettes either. I am able to tell him when I am having a craving and he understands and says comforting things so it is really nice to have a co pilot on my side during this quitting stage of my life.
Find your teammate to a better healthier you!! Good luck
Unread 06-26-2015, 02:02 PM

Oops, see below....
Unread 06-26-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydymnd View Post
Hi ladies,
I had smoked for 24 years, ages 16-40. Wow that saddens me to write. I quit with all three pregnancies but had no wish to quit for myself during those times so I started right back up again.
This time I quit for me!! June 11th was my hysterectomy and haven't had a cigarette since. I had tried to quit a few times over the past five years so I was a little scared of the withdrawal symptoms; headaches, constipation, anxiety, agitation ext. Being that I was on pain medication and stool softners I had no headaches and was pooping like a champ. During recovery you sleep a lot so their is no anxiety or agitation either. I found quitting after surgery to be the best time and choice I could have made.
I have just finished week two of nicotine free and truly it feels so freeing and my bank account is smiling as well
Now that I am back to reality and dealing with life a little bit, I am having stress back in my life and the nicotine habits are screaming for relief but I am finding other things to do, short walks, cup of caffeine free coffee on the front porch, ect...things that are good for my recovery and to keep me cancer free for another 40 years!!

My live in boyfriend has quit smoking with me, he is using the patch. It is nice to have no cigarettes around and for him to not smell of cigarettes either. I am able to tell him when I am having a craving and he understands and says comforting things so it is really nice to have a co pilot on my side during this quitting stage of my life.
Find your teammate to a better healthier you!! Good luck

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you!
Unread 07-14-2015, 10:11 AM

I know the feeling stop smoking when pregnant but had this hysterectomy and still smoking.Patches and chantix didn't work just had nightmares.Need to tell myself that I want to quit and repeat it honestly hate the smell and taste and I smoke outside I'm really clean about it but habitually its over running with urge when I try to put it down.I think I can should be the motto.
Unread 06-22-2016, 09:52 PM

Wow I am so proud of all you ladies that have quit. I tried to quit and lasted 3 weeks. I was so stressed out over surgery so I ended up starting again the week before. The plus side was that was my only motivation to get up out of bed so it got me moving. haha Now im about 4 weeks post op and would really like to quit again. If at first you dont succeed try try again.
Unread 06-22-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Button55 View Post
If at first you dont succeed try try again.
Exactly....
I highly recommend the nicotine patches. They do have a cost to them but they are still a far cry of what cigarettes cost. Good luck and you can do this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register