5wks from postpartum hemorrhage (May 2002) -emergency hysterectomy - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5wks from postpartum hemorrhage (May 2002) -emergency hysterectomy 5wks from postpartum hemorrhage (May 2002) -emergency hysterectomy

Unread 06-20-2002, 06:33 PM
Re: uterus problems

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutchie
Wasn't it uterine atony aswell, like in my case? I know I worry about the prostaglandin gel, beeing the cause of all this.
Dutchie
You know I didn't have the prostaglandin gel but since my water was leaking and I was having regular contractions already with the preterm labor I went off the terbualtine pump and she gave me some pictocin to help move things along. Once they gave me a little of that stuff my preterm labor become very active labor very fast. I was wondering if this overwhelmed my uterus- it didn't rupture thank god but it certainly was not up to handling the hemmorrage that took place later.

What is uterine atony? My Dr said my uterus basically died, in more techinical term could this have been what it was. She compared it to a heart during a heart attack- it just quit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2002, 06:35 PM
Chat

Dutchie and Erica-

Would you guys like to arrange a time to meet in the chat room and visit more "live"?
Unread 06-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Dutchie

Yes I did have uterine atony ( they are pretty sure), I meant that I did not have a piece of the placenta stuck to my uterine wall. They still do not really know. My dr. said there is usually an underlying cause to getting D.I.C. and I do not appear to have any. I had like 15 different medications to help me clot and help my uterus contract but obviously they were inneffective.
You say you went into surgery, and then had the hysterectomy, were there any complications to the first sugery that may have caused the need for the hysterectomy?
I had the gel on in a "tablet" type thing, It was not on long before I went into labor and they took it out, maybe a few hours. It was attached to a string.

I owuld love to get together and chat sometime, we need to coordinate all the time differences!!!!

Erica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2002, 07:20 PM
Re: Dutchie

Quote:
Originally posted by erysmith

I owuld love to get together and chat sometime, we need to coordinate all the time differences!!!!

Erica
I am in Indiana on CST in the summer time.
Unread 06-20-2002, 07:27 PM
Lisa

Uterine atony is when your uterus doesn't contract after birth. That's what was explained to me.

Hope you have a good night

Erica
Unread 06-21-2002, 04:24 AM
Lisa and Erica

I'd love to chat with you two but the time differences will be difficult. I am on GMT +1 and I have no idea what time it is on your place now.

You asked me what my first surgery was for. Well, maybe 'surgery' was not the right word. I think you call it a D&C? Is this the same as an D.I.C.? Unther full anastetics they removed my placenta by hand and cleaned my uterus. They gave me meds to make my uterus contract. They thought this worked fine, while there wasn't blood coming from my vagina anymore. (they didn't notice I was bleeding to death internally!) I woke up from the anastetics, still in the OR. I suffered enormous abdominal pains, like there was an elephant sitting on my tummy. I told this to the man standing next to me. I could feel how he pushed on my belly and how the pushing started the blood to stream out of my vagina again. (This man later told me I saved my own life by telling him about my abdominal pain!) It took so much time to get me under anastetics again. I was consious a long time and heard the staff go in shock by what they saw (they didn't say much but I heard a general gasp for air ...). I remember begging them to make me unconsious, I didn't care how, I just coudn't bear the pain anymore. I remember being SO cold and thirsty. That's when they started the 'second' operation. They tried to give me more meds to make my blood clot and my uterus contract, but nothing helped. At a point when my hemoglobin was at it's lowest and my clotting started to become a problem, they cut me open to remove my uterus. They found it totally limp. I don't know if this means 'dead' as you put it Lisa.

Erica, are you back to your teaching job already? Or are you still on sickleave?

Dutchie
Unread 06-21-2002, 04:33 AM
Lisa and Erica

I checked the times of your replies, they are 'translated' in my GMT+1 time. I think about 9 PM in my GMT +1 should be fine. I see both of you have written at that time a reply, so you must be awake by that time too
To let you be able to calculate the time I am talking about: compare date shown in side bar and in this message. For me it's now around 01.30 PM

Dutchie
Unread 06-21-2002, 06:17 AM
time zones

I think I am on GMT -6:00. So Dutchie I would be 8 hours behind you right? and Erica and I would be one hour apart if you are on EST with daylight savings. Indiana is on EST but we don't go on daylight savings so we are on CST right now with Chicago. Confusing enough???

I am home full time with my kids. I could arrange almost anytime between 7:00 am and 10:30 pm CST- if my three kids cooperate that is
Unread 06-21-2002, 06:23 AM
Re: time zones

Quote:
Originally posted by lisadawn
I think I am on GMT -6:00. So Dutchie I would be 8 hours behind you right?
No, I am wrong if I look at the side bar of when you posted I think we are 7 hours apart Dutchie. You said is was 1:30 pm your time and my pc says it was 6:30 am. Right?

I am terrible with this time zone thing The site seems to be run on the GMT-6:00 time zone which is the same as the time here in Indiana.
Unread 06-21-2002, 08:17 AM
5wks from postpartum hemorrhage (May 2002) -emergency hysterectomy

Dutchie I am back teaching again. I have the week off and then I go back because my school goes all summer. i can be available after 4:00p.m. most days. So that is 10:00 p.m your time and 3:00 Lisa's time. Or we could do it on a weekend . Just let me know.

Erica

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register