How could I not have known? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How could I not have known? How could I not have known?

Unread 08-11-2006, 09:41 AM
How could I not have known?

How could I not have known it was something more?

I was diagnosed w/cystocele, rectocele and prolapsed uterus last month. I've had low back pain (hip area) since having my daughter 10 yrs ago. It has gotten more frequent and much worse over the last few years. I also get what I refer to as "tummy aches". Not queasy, but heavy and sore.

I didn't think much about it last month when the Dr asked me last month if I ever feel pressure in my back or tummy after standing. I pretty much live on motrin for my back, but it's not helping anymore and I've tried to back off for a while to see if I really do have pain. I DO!

I was in soooo much pain last night, tummy and back. How could I not have questioned these pains sooner? Why did I just dismiss them as straining my back?? I hate the idea of continuing on the motrin for fear of causing other damage but feel like he'll think I'm crazy if I ask for something more.

Thanks for listening! I don't have anyone I can talk to about this other than DBF and he's been great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2006, 10:43 AM

Please don't beat yourself up about this. Hindsight is 20/20 afterall. Your pain probably escalated so gradually that you just didn't think it was anything. Women tend to be a bit bullheaded about admitting something is wrong.
Also, don't hesitate to ask your doc for something to help with your pain. He knows you're in pain...that's one of the reason for your surgery. He won't think you're crazy...you're only acknowledgeing the pain level you have been living with for so long. Being open with your doc about what you are feeling helps them to help you. Good luck and I hope you get something to help you feel better.
Unread 08-11-2006, 11:03 AM

I, too, have been kicking my self for my reluctance to acknowledge physical pain. I think women sometimes ignore their own suffering because we are so busy nurturing the special people in our lives. Six years ago I had an ovarian cyst, and when it ruptured the ER discovered I had a severely herniated back (I had lived on Aleve for years). Two weeks later, I was having back surgery. I was told that my herniation was so severe that I could have become paralyzed at any moment. Last November, I had another ovarian cyst, and as I had no insurance at the time, and the pain became manageable, I just hoped the cyst had gone away, and left it at that. I found a new job with insurance, and finally went for a long-overdue gyn exam. I have an ovarian cyst that is almost five inches in diameter, and it is above my uterus. I keep wondering how I could be so stupid for a second time. I will be going in Sept. 13 to have it removed, along with the ovary and my uterus. I hope to save the other ovary. Don't beat yourself up, just look forward to the day when your pain will be gone for good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2006, 12:46 PM

You sound exactly like me. I had a cyst removed from my back several years ago and I kept having cramps in that area. I dismissed it and dint' think much about it. I kept cramping in the front as well and just thought it was premenstral something or other and dsimissed it as well. It wasn't until I had my last period in March when I was cleaning up myself and discovered my cervix peeking out! I nearly had a stroke!
I'm in pain now, and it feels exactly like last stage labor contractions. I don't walk around much any more. I can't take anything that's codine or any codine derivatives so I'm pretty much stuck.
Any ideas?
Unread 08-11-2006, 01:32 PM

bayou_goddess, there are a great many pain killers in other branches on the narcotic and NSAID families. Talk to your doctor!
Unread 08-11-2006, 02:03 PM

This sounds sooo much like me, too. I have had hip/lower back pain for years, and just figured it was getting arthritic or something. And the lower pressure in my belly, I just figured it was my weight. When my cervix decided to "peek out" , and I went to see my gyne....all the pieces of the puzzle came together. WOW! this is what I have. And it DOESN'T have to be this way! (Our bodies are trying to tell us something, and we're not listening) But yay! because it's fixable!!! what a blessing!!

I say, good for you, you are taking care of yourself. It's time we put ourselves first

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register