Getting in Shape before Surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting in Shape before Surgery? Getting in Shape before Surgery?

Unread 04-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Getting in Shape before Surgery?

I'm scheduled for a TAH on May 18th and today I started thinking that maybe I should try to get into a bit better shape before my surgery - I've gained 60 pounds in the last - not really sure why, but there it is. Did anyone else try to shape up before surgery to help the recovery afterward - what did you do? I'm hurting too bad for major stuff - no running, etc - I'm having a nasty lupus flare, but I'm so open for suggestions!! Thanks y'all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2007, 09:55 PM

jojojasmine--

I really hope we get some answers on this! I'm having the same thoughts, too. I went for a Sunday walk today-- _not_ fun. I had to turn around and go back home after 10 minutes. I was, however, able to do some very painful crunches and some back exercises that felt really good. The only thing I can say is, I think I'm going to have to wait till after surgery to really whip myself into great shape. Fitness is sooo important to me for managing my weight and depression, so I'm just trying to tie a knot and hang on till after June...

Best wishes!!
Unread 04-30-2007, 06:15 AM

Hi, girls. To tell you the truth, getting in shape prior to my surgery was not a concern. I was in too much pain to do so. However, if you guys feel up to it, why not?

After my surgery I actually lost 10 lbs without doing a darn thing.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2007, 06:41 AM

I've been walking a lot...I figure if I can get into shape a little before my surgery, it may keep me motivated to continue afterwards. Good luck~
Unread 04-30-2007, 06:53 AM

I agree with Diver.

Walk, walk, walk -- every chance you get. It is considered weight-bearing (helps prevent osteo) and you can pick up or slow down the pace depending on how you feel that day.

I walk my kids to school (a mile each way) and park the car far from the store to get a few extra steps in. I can really feel the difference on days when I don't get my walk -- sluggish metabolism, constipation, poor sleep.

You'll need to be walking after surgery to pass gas and prevent blood clots, so why not start now? It has become a habit for me. It is my "zen" time to think and reflect and plan. The bonus is that now is the best time of the year -- spring time blooming before your eyes, little birds in their nests, fresh air, and not too hot.

Good luck to you pre-op sisters. I'll be looking for you during my walks!
Unread 04-30-2007, 08:15 AM

I am taking high doses of Vitamin C (recommended by my ono/hem doctor). I have blood clotting mutations, so she said it would improve my blood. Also I am doing not so hard (very easy) exercises that the ortho doctor gave me for my back pain. I am not doing the crutches it hurts to much.

Take Care.
Unread 04-30-2007, 08:37 AM

I'm right on with Diver and Loves2Quilt. I had to go on a diet/exercise regimen before surgery, because my blood pressure was through the roof. I was 56, completely post menopausal, and not in great shape, so no high impact stuff for me. I just bought some shoes and walked, a few minutes a a time, adding a little more each day. I was up to a hour a day before surgery, and it was the best thing I could have done. I got right back up and walked after surgery (you don't have any choice in the hospital - the nurses make you walk!) and it helped so much with circulation, bowel function, and general healing. I had to greatly reduce my times after surgery, kind of like starting over. I walked around my bedroom and up and down the hall, about 5 minutes each hour I was awake. The big difference was that my stamina came back much faster after surgery because of the pre-surgery walking. So walk, walk, walk, now, and be prepared to start walking immediately after surgery. Be sure to take it easy after, and divide your walking into 5-10 minute sessions several times a day - just enough to move your body around. You can gradually increase as you get stronger, and go on outside as soon as you feel up to it. You do have the advantage of the spring weather - just don't get carried away and walk farther from home than you can get back from. If you keep a journal, make a few notes about how you are feeling, and how far you walked, etc. It will help you see your progress on those days when you feel bad and think you aren't making any progress (you will have them - everyone does)

Good luck with your walking and your surgery. Be sure to post again to let everyone know how you are doing with the walking, and especially after your surgery.

Unread 04-30-2007, 08:54 AM

I'm not doing anything new as far as "getting in shape." I'm just working to stay in shape- I'm a runner and triathlete, so I'm just working to maintain my fitness level so that I can bounce back from surgery as best as I possibly can.
Unread 04-30-2007, 10:19 AM

My plan is to keep workingout as usual and add more upper body - arms and shoulders. I have an online support website that is keeping me going. Oh, and the hubby too.

I will be happy to offer suggestions and encougement to anyone as far as health and fitness goes. I've been a fitness fanatic for years now and am planning on becoming a certified personal trainer/health coach by Fall 2008.

Monica
Unread 04-30-2007, 10:30 AM

Monica, thank you for that great offer. I hope you'll keep posting after surgery with tips and suggestions.

I can barely maintain my weight and fitness as it is and can't seem to lose that last 10#. (The doc says I'm in "the range" for my height, but he hasn't seen me naked standing up!) I'm more frightened of gaining weight after the hysterectomy especially if both my ovaries are removed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register